What's new

DAWN OF THE DEAD Best Buy BONUS DISC Nightmare (1 Viewer)

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator
I sent my wife to Best Buy on Tues morning to pick this up for me .I would have picked it up later in the week but thought it would be nice to have the bonus disc.She was there when the store opened.They had a table set up in front with copies of DOTD on it.She asked a clerk if it came with the bonus disc and the clerk assured her it was inside.Lo and behold no bonus disc.I see it's not worth the trouble of getting to Best Buy to get bonus discs when the chances are'nt in your favor.Shrek 2 is apparently going to have a BB bonus disc also.I will not even bother trying to get there early get one.I guess it's hard to find good help these days.

Real Name
Anthony
We don't have Best Buy over here so I can't comment. But it's pretty bad that you can't return a disc once you've opened it. That isn't the case over here. I've bought DVDs, watched them and taken them back just because I thought the film was crap (that's not the reason I give, though). Some places only give you credit but that's ok. Still, I'm surprised as the impression I get is that the US is much more customer-friendly and service oriented.

I can hear you laughing from across the water.

MarcWi

Agent
Well im not sure abot dawn, beacuse I dint pre-order online. but I can tekk you with F13th I called Bb to ask how to do the pre-order to get the bonus disc. there weas no box, they told me preorders will have them, first come first serve. So i preordered. just to be safe I went to the store on release day and after a long story that I wont go into managed to get one with bonus. when my prorder arrived next day there was NO BONUS DISC included. I preordered this almost as sonn as they announced the bonus disc. I returned the extr, bonus-less copy the next day...

Their system is not handling these exclusives properly and most of the staff don't even know whatthey are...

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
quote:But it's pretty bad that you can't return a disc once you've opened it. That isn't the case over here. I've bought DVDs, watched them and taken them back just because I thought the film was crap (that's not the reason I give, though). Some places only give you credit but that's ok.

Anthony, any store here will let you return an opened item if you claim its defective. You won't usually get your money back on an opened item, though - its usually an exchange or store credit, but of course it depends on the store.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
quote:Why do I put myself through this torment?

LOL. You said it best. Sorry for the troubles.

The problem with DVD Customer Service like this is that most people who frequent these boards know more about DVDs than the people who are selling them, or answering phones at a retailer. It is sometimes pointless to argue with them. After they talk to you, they could be talking to someone about a washer or phone or something. They aren't DVD people you are dealing with.

As mentioned, your best bet is always picking it up in person. I'm planning on getting DOD this weekend.

Anthony Anderso

Auditioning
Well MR CHEESE,

I again, went to the BestBuy web site and selected the "still advertised" DAWN dvd, as well as CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK and SHREK 2 in a cart and carefully carried them to the end. Now, there is NO other box to select except the "add to cart" or "pre-order now". If there is box can someone please patch a URL that you MUST also check to obtain the BONUS DISCS? Maybe I'm blind, but since Mr. Cheese says "I complain a lot", I want to make sure at least the fact of the matter is there.

Thanks!

ToNy

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I used to order the Star Trek sets from Bestbuy.com for the bonus disc. Something changed with their site about a year ago and the sets I started receiving didn't have the set. I never had a problem returning them to a local store though. Now I just buy them locally.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Everytime I've bought a cd or dvd at BB that was supposed to come with a bonus disc it was attached to the box, or inside (apart from when they offered interview discs with the Beatles Anthology cds). I had no reason NOT to think the disc was inside the case.

Walked in the store, headed over to the New Release section. Lots of Dawn DVDs. Some had the blue sticker, some did not. It was obvious from the get-go that the stickered ones had the bonus disc ("only 75 per store" should have been a good clue).

Almost walked out with a non-stickered one, so anal I was being in finding a decent slipcase. When I realized my error I went back to the rack, and picked out a stickered one. It was immediately evident that there was a weight difference between the stickered and nonstickered packages.

I can't understand the frustration and slagging off that's going on over this. If you're not sure if the disc was inside or not then feel for a weight difference. If you are unable to tell then go hassle the staff. Or, buy the disc, step to the side and open it. If there's no disc go straight to the service desk.

-paul

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I will say that I wasn't paying any attention to there being a bonus disk. Heck, I almost grabbed a FS version due to the low profile marking in that regard.
When I got home I saw the "Bonus disk" sticker and I have to say that I wondered if I had overlooked a pile of bonus disks sitting in the area like when they have free trailer disks out. Luckily for me it was in the box, but the sticker left me feeling only 50/50 that it would be before opening it.

It couldn't hurt to make the situation clearer with the labeling, like "Bonus disk INSIDE this box".

I can't comment on BestBuy.com but if that situation angered you then god help you if you ever have to contact the IRS by phone.
smile.gif

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
quote:I can't understand the frustration and slagging off that's going on over this.

I have to agree. What's that old saying about insanity? Something about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. To be honest, I would never even consider ordering a DVD from the online site and expecting to get the bonus disc. For a nice, simple solution, do what I did. Go to the store on release date. Look closely at the packaging (despite what someone claimed here, the ad clearly stated a limited number of bonus discs) buy the one which states it is what you want. Open it once you have bought it to be sure it has the bonus. If it doesn't, go right back in and make sure they switch it for one that contains what it is supposed to. Just be nice, but insistent, and maybe a little more patient and you'll be amazed what happens. Customer service tends to suck everywhere, particularly when you are surly. It's nothing exclusive to BB.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
quote:The large DOtD display price tag said the bonus disc was "Inpack".

You mean you expect people to actually pay attention? How absurd.
wink.gif

Of course, it doesn't excuse the employees having no idea what is going on.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
FWIW--just because the packaging has a sticker on it stating that the product includes a bonus disc doesn't absolutely guarantee that one is indeed included, especially in DVDs such as DotD where a practical joker can just swap the cardboard sleeves...
wink.gif

Speaking of cardboard sleeves, why do manufacturers even bother with them, especially with titles such as DotD where--IIRC (I'm going off of memory since I don't have my copy right in front of me)--the graphics on the DotD cardboard sleeve is exactly identical to that of the paper DVD case sleeve (or whatever the correct technical term is for that)?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
quote:FWIW--just because the packaging has a sticker on it stating that the product includes a bonus disc doesn't absolutely guarantee that one is indeed included, especially in DVDs such as DotD where a practical joker can just swap the cardboard sleeves...

I thought the exact same thing, which is why I opened it in the car, just in case someone had that.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
quote:FWIW--just because the packaging has a sticker on it stating that the product includes a bonus disc doesn't absolutely guarantee that one is indeed included, especially in DVDs such as DotD where a practical joker can just swap the cardboard sleeves...

A - What are the odds of that happening?

B - This would in no way be Best Buy's fault if that was the case, so not really relevant.

(since I'm posting in this thread, the sticker reads "Exclusive bonus disc." While it does not specifically say "included in this specially marked package" I would have to say that *this* package included a bonus disc is clearly implied.)

-paul

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Paul--my reply wasn't meant to be taken as an absolute concern, hence the winky smiley...

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
I purchased mine on eBay. Well, it's not free, but you can have it that's way...

It's just bad they don't included the Trailers for the Movie...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks