What's new

DAWN OF THE DEAD Best Buy BONUS DISC Nightmare (1 Viewer)

Anthony Anderso

Auditioning
After the FRIDAY THE 13TH Box Set Bonus Disc hardships that Best Buy put me (and many others) through, I thought I would share the latest in their terrible customer service procedures:

I pre-ordered the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD on 10/7/04 from bestbuy.com only on the intention of getting the special free BONUS DISC with it. Now, I had been burned previously on not getting a disc with FRIDAY THE 13TH box set (I called and was told, they are all gone there is nothing we can do about it, sorry).

I had decided that I would try one more time to obtain a bonus disc and pre-ordered DAWN.

Time passes and yesterday (10/26/04) the disc arrives at my house, WITHOUT a BONUS DISC! I immediately called Best Buy's phone service line to find out why this had happened AGAIN. I was told the following:

- There is a special second box that you must select when pre-ordering indicating that you want the BONUS DISC. (apparantly it wasn't enough to go to the sales page and click on the link that reads "Get a BONUS DISC".) Has anyone actually seen this mystery "extra box" you must select?

- The website is ONLY updated once a week on Sundays.

- I was asked to describe this "BONUS DISC" as he had never heard of such a thing and could I describe it to him. I told him I would physically if I had been sent one!

- I was given a reference number and was told the Customer Service Department would contact me via email.

Today, I emailed the Customer Service Department and told them all that had happened and all that I had been said and done about the matter and I was none too pleased.

After a couple hours I went to their website and not only is the BONUS DISC ad STILL up and being offered, but the price dropped from $19.99 to $15.99 (insult to injury!).

I called the line up and was put on hold and hung up on twice. I called a third time. I explained the whole ordeal and was told that I would have to hold while the woman I spoke to went to get a resolution. The hold line kicked me to the main menu of automation. I called back fourth time and the SAME WOMAN answered the phone (we are talking like 2-3 minutes later) and she played like she had never heard of the situation! I recognized her broken english and odd accent. I went through it all again and was told: "If you were to receive one, it would be inside the DVD box itself." She also said if you didn't get one you have to take it to your local BEST BUY and exchange it for one with a BONUS DISC.

I reminded her that I purchased it via BestBuy.com and NOT a local store. She told me "Sir, our online service offers shopping, but BestBuy.Com is not an actual store. We do not follow the same rules and regulations as a store. You have to go to your local store and exchange it. I asked her to look to see if there was one that offered the disc (with the bonus DISC) in New York. She told me to go to the Chelsea store and exchange it there as her system said they still had copies (this was around 12:15 PM EST on 10/27/04).

I told her that this whole process was a sham and they were misleading and abusing there customer base. I asked to speak to her Supervisor (she told me he would say the same), I said "Fine, then we'll go through it all again".

In the end, he could not answer why If I ordered a product weeks prior that I did not get a BONUS DISC. He told me that he was forwarding the matter to the Promotions Department and I would be getting an answer via email.

I also asked the Supervisor that since CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK is being advertised with a BONUS DISC would I get it if I ordered now, today. He said, "You would most definitely get it if you pre-ordered." Contradiction anyone?

So, I keep my disc and NEVER EVER EVER plan to patronage BEST BUY again in my lifetime and will try and sawy others not to do the same.

Now, anyone else have troubles?

ToNy ;)

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
Wow. Pre-ordering is BS anyway. Just go to the store on the first day it's offered and pick up a copy. No big woop and no problems. That's what I did. But trust me I know how it feels to be jerked around like that.

[I don't want to be a downer but I don't think the bonus disc was really worth all that (I know that it's the princeipal of it all but still).]

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I don't understand the fuss with pre-ordering big-release movies. There's always more than enough copies in store the first day (and afterwards) and who knows what kind of sales or specials might be running. What does one possibly gain by pre-ordering it? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious, as I've never had one bit of trouble getting what I'm looking for on release Tuesdays.

Anthony Anderso

Auditioning
Hey Matt,
The problem isn't with getting a copy of the movie (trust me many places offered it cheaper ;) the problem I had was ordering it specifically with BB to get the BONUS disc.

I agree in the long run, I'm sure the disc isn't worth all that, but if someone doesn't speak up about their practices, it will never change.

So now, do I go and check the store?

ToNy ;)

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't have as much as a nightmare as you did, but I did have to holler a bit to get information about the bonus disc.

I walked into Best Buy on Tuesday and saw a sign that said "Free Bonus Disc" with purchase. I grabbed a WS copy off the floor display but before I went to the checkout counter something told me to talk to an employee.

I asked "what's up with the bonus disc?" The employee told me that there were a limited number of them (about 75) but there should still be some left. I just had to get a copy with a white and blue sticker on it. I asked where? He said check the New Release area. If not there, then the Horror area. I asked "is this something I get up at the front?" (my only other Best Buy bonus experience was with the Aladdin monkey doll a few weeks ago) and he said "Yeah."

After digging through all of the discs for a WS with a sticker on it (plenty of FS versions available though!) I walked up to the counter and asked for my copy of the bonus disc. The girl looked at me like I was crazy.

I said "there's supposed to be a bonus disc with this" She said she didn't know what I was talking about. I showed her the sticker and she stared at it for like 5 minutes. I could hear her poor gears spinning and smoking. I said "look, is there someone here who knows about this?" She turned to a co-worker who was ringing up someone else and asked if there was a bonus disc. He said "I think so, but I think we're out."

I told the girl the first guy I talked to said there were "plenty" and for the girl to check and make sure, because if they didn't have the bonus disc I was going to take my business elsewhere.

Finally she got another (the fourth for those of you keeping count) employee to come over who said that the disc was sealed into the disc case. When I asked the checkout girl if we could open up the disc to make sure, she said "you haven't bought it yet." I said "I'll buy it if the disc is inside." And then she said "You'll have to buy it but you won't be able to return it if it's open."

Finally, the fourth employee, sensing a lost sale, assured me that the disc was indeed inside and if it wasn't, I'd be able to return it.

I bought it, opened it and sure enough there was the disc inside. In the end, I got what I wanted (and at the lowest price) but YEESH, it shouldn't have been so annoying.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Mine was a similar story. An employee "promised" the bonus disc was inside. Of course, there was no bonus disc inside. I had looked at every copy in their store for some sort of label indicating the bonus disc was inside. None had any such label.
I went back to the store and told them I was "promised" the disc was inside, and since it wasn't, I'd like my money back. I told them I'd made a special trip to their store for this disc, as advertised. The ad said nothing about limited amount or specially-marked packages.

Bottom line: Customer service told me it couldn't be refunded since it was opened and not defective, and the employee who "promised" me was wrong. Of course, he could not be found when I went back. I have a friend who works there part-time and will be making the exchange for me, since he tracked down a replacement from another store. I will not be shopping at Best Buy in the future. This incident, along with the F13 box, pushed me over the edge. Perfect examples of why these "exclusive" promotions should be banned by the studios! Instead of securing me as a Best Buy custumer, their ridiculous promotions have pushed me elsewhere.

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
The bonus disc comes in a white envelope packed within the dvd case.

I haven't had time to watch it yet, but according to the packaging, the disc contains a 15 minute parody of Night of the Living Dead, (not "Night of the Living Bread") zombie concept art and some storyboard to movie comparisons.

I'll try to watch it tonight.

And for those of you looking for the disc, make sure you pick up a copy with the white and blue oval shaped sticker on the outer sleeve. If you don't know what to look for, or if there aren't too many copies of them around when you grab for your disc, you could miss it.

Good luck!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
If you're really that anxious to see NIGHT OF THE LIVING BREAD, it's also on the Elite Millenium Edition of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Being a zombie fan anyway, you owe it to yourself to pick up that disc. It's the best NOTLD has ever looked and has some great extras.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
I went to best buy, saw the HUGE sign advertising the bonus disk, looked at several copies to see if there was a designation between the ones that had it and didn't, and seeing no sticker or anything on at least ten copies of it I decided it must be in the box, so I went and bought it, low and be-hold..no bonus disk.

So far though, I did get the Man On fire, Day After Tomorrow, and Friday the 13th disks, so they arent 0 for four or anything, but still, it pissed me off a lot that they had this big sign advertising it and I didn't even get it.

They have terrible customer service and I wasnt about to drive back to pick up the disk, but it was still the point.

Luckily I did get it for 16 dollars though, not 20.

Mike

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Hm, I've never had any problems getting bonus items at BB. Seems like I may be in the minority, I actually like to shop there...

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
Dawn Of The Dead Best Buy DVD mini-review

This disc is only available through Best Buy retailers and e-tailers. Look for blue and white stickers that read: "Exclusive Bonus Disc featuring "Mockumentary": Undead and Loving It!, Drawing The Dead and Storyboard Comparisons. *While Supplies Last.

The bonus disc is pre-packaged with both the Widescreen and Fullscreen formats. Mine came with the Unrated Director's Cut. I'm not sure if it is available with the Theatrical Release version.

CONTENTS

After the Universal logo comes up, a simple non-animating selection menu is displayed over a yellow background matching style of the main disc.

"Mockumentary": Undead and Loving It. (5 minutes, 10 seconds)

Director Zack Synder says that doing all the zombie makeup was too expensive so real zombies were used on the film. Footage of extras in zombie makeup and on-set are intercut with Synder and other crew members talking about what it was like to work with zombies, their feeding habits, etc. Amusing to see the "behind the scenes" of the extras, but not hilarious. Most of the zombie footage is reused from the other featurettes on the main disc.

Drawing the Dead (2 minutes, 49 seconds)

Director Zack Synder and storyboard artist Vince Peets talk about the importance of storyboarding in an effects film. Images of Peets' minimalistic artwork intercut with scenes from the movie.

Four top and bottom storyboard/film comparision scenes are:

"Dawn" - Little Girl zombie attack. 1 minute, 25 seconds

"Loading Dock" - Men fight off zombies while truck docks. 1 minute, 46 seconds

"Bloated Woman Attacks" - Fat zombie attacks Sarah Polly.
1 minute, 15 seconds

"New Game" - Survivors target shoot zombies. 1 minute, 23 seconds

Total running time: 13 minutes and 48 seconds.

IN CONCLUSION

The contents are short and there isn't much new footage or information apart from what is found on the main Director's Cut disc. Unless you're really into storyboarding or want to "own it all" then you're not missing much by skipping this disc.

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my experience: walked in, then over to Dawn of the Dead display, picked up widescreen DOTD with bonus DVD sticker on it, BB employee comes up to me and asks can I help you find anything..I ask is the bonus disc inside the case or separate...inside the ones with the sticker he says..great, thanks I say...pay and leave...The End.

my experiences there are no better or worse then any other retail establishment..I just don't get all the bashing.

Anthony Anderso

Auditioning
Okay,

Well here is my update. I decided to head down to the Best Buy store (Chelsea in NYC) and after searching through what seemed like thousands of FOOLSCREEN copies in the horror section I was ready to give up. I decided to check the "new release" wall and see if there were any copies there. Sure enough there was 3 left on the very bottom shelf! I grabbed one and the blue and white oval sticker was on the cover.

Now if you see the sticker it says nothing about "BONUS DISC INSIDE" it just says "EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC WHILE SUPPLIES LAST and then a product number smaller under that. I asked the saleperson, do you have the bonus disc up here? She looked like I was from mars and had no clue what I was talking about. She saw the sticker and said "Hold on I'll check for you." She got a manager and asked him. He said "Its inside". I asked if I could buy it, open it here to make sure as after the BestBuy.com nightmares I wanted to be sure it was in there. He said "No problem." She rang it up and opened it for me, the small white envelope with the disc was inside. I bought it.

Now, I will return tomorrow with my unopened copy I bought (and got without the BONUS DISC) from the online, non-store, and get something else.

And I did get a reply from the Customer Care email Department for my online experiences, "We are sorry for your troubles, all supplies are exhausted and we have no plans to order replacements. Perhaps you'd like to check out our weekly sales page, we add new sales and promotions each and every week."

Jeez.
frown.gif
So, I sent back and email thanking her for Best Buy's terrible customer service and lack of responsibility on this whole fiasco. And that I have learned to never, EVER shop at BestBuy.com again.

From now on, if I want any of these BONUS DISCS, I'm just heading into the store itself and grabbing one on the first day.

I did watch the disc and it has a much shorter running time than indicated. The MOCKUMENTARY is only like 7 min long and the storyboard interview is like 5 min long. Was it worth it in the end? Not even close. Why do I put myself through this torment?
wink.gif

ToNy

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
My nightmare happened Tuesday.

As I drove away from Best Buy with my new copy of GTA:SA and DOD:UE on my front seat, I popped open the DOD to make sure the bonus disk was packed in (after hearing about the issues with Van Helsing).

Yep, it was there. I then casually glance at the specs on the back and I see... "Full Screen".

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had DVD since the launch date and never have bought the wrong version.

This one breaks the rules.

Usually, they don't release UR version in Full Screen, they usually change the artwork for Full Screen (SpiderMan).

These look exactly the same.

Luckily, Best Buy didn't give me a second of trouble when I asked to switch for the proper copy.

I love the guys that jump and say Best Buy sucks. I'd bet my house they are the first in line at the store on Tuesday morning.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Unfortunately, Scott Rogers above information regarding the running time of the features is incorrect.

Here are the exact times:

"Undead And Loving It."..5 minutes, 10 seconds.

"Drawing The Dead"..2 minutes, 49 seconds.

And the four storyboard comparisons are respectively;

1. 1 minute, 25 seconds

2. 1 minute, 46 seconds

3. 1 minute, 15 seconds

4. 1 minute, 23 seconds

For a grand total of...13 minutes and 48 seconds.Woo Hoo!
wink.gif

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the running times, Tino. I've updated my post.

They sure seemed longer at 1:30 in the morning!

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you complain a lot, but there IS always a box that you need to check on Best Buy's website to get a bonus disc (or the box for Kill Bill, etc), and it's not their fault that you overlooked it. It's not like they hid it or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks