What's new

Davinci's Demons (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Premieres this Friday on Starz, designed to fill the space that will be left after Spartacus wraps it's series finale just before it on Friday.
The previews at least look interesting, we'll have to see how it plays out. A bit of a cross between The Borgias and Wild, Wild West.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Actually it premieres on Starz, a pay channel.

I've got HBO which I'm getting pretty bored with and may switch to Starz simply based on what I've heard about this show.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yes, I corrected. Was thinking about too many things. I only keep HBO on for Game of Thrones. Right now, all the shows I watch on pay are Showtime/StarZ.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Available on Demand this morning.

Way better than I expected; the storyline is of course very .. well, it's fiction just using characters you know, but it is interesting. The cinematography is great.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This has become somewhat a combination of Davinci as Macguyver, with a little bit of BBC's Sherlock mixed in.
It's an interesting combo.. I'll put it on my pass for the year.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Only seen the first episode, but really liked it. Great choices for the actors, looks like lots of CGI, but well done. A bit far-fetched with his inventions, a metallic, five pound dove that's essentially life size would drop like a rock, but hey, dramatic license. Never did understand how he powered it, looked like he added water to it, so a little tiny steam engine?

Just switched back to Starz, forgot that one of their requirements to get a role in one of their series is be prepared, you'll be stripping down a lot, so don't be shy.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This show has really turned into a lot of fun. It's rompish and goofball at times, but it's still a complete blast by having the right mix of "silly" and "fun" with some pretty good action set pieces. Whoever is producing this for StarZ also gives it a really unique look I kind of like. This is the right kind of Friday night content IMHO

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
With all the positive comments, I may have to give it more time. Through the first two episodes, I've been finding it hard to care about any of these people.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
It's so goofy and camp but its a great Friday night show
It is pretty silly, but I'm enjoying it.

Starz is also re-running the 2011 series of Spartacus. Not great, but nice to catch up on. This past season I only saw a few episodes, but the dialogue was so "Shakespearean" I was more like a kid just watching a cartoon, didn't understand half of what they were saying. And those poor actors, having to memorize and recite such dreadful writing.

Thankfully, Davinci's Demons is a touch more modern.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Stan said:
It is pretty silly, but I'm enjoying it.

Starz is also re-running the 2011 series of Spartacus. Not great, but nice to catch up on. This past season I only saw a few episodes, but the dialogue was so "Shakespearean" I was more like a kid just watching a cartoon, didn't understand half of what they were saying. And those poor actors, having to memorize and recite such dreadful writing.

Thankfully, Davinci's Demons is a touch more modern.
Spartacus quickly becomes one of the best shows on TV. After episode four of the first season, I don't think there was a single dud in the entire rest of the series. Everything from the writing to the direction to the acting improved 10-fold. The season 1 finale is amongst the best finales of any show, ever.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Really silly this week, but still I laughed.. I couldn't help but laugh. In part because it's goofy, and in part because it just is that goofball mix of McGuyver meets Tim Allen's Tool Time. As they were constructing the things I had a good idea of where it was going, but I wasn't quite prepared for the skyshow being what it was... it did make me laugh, though.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I just finished episode 4, two more to go until caught up.

Stupid question, but I'm terrible with history. This is about 99% fictional isn't it? Fun to watch, but it's way beyond what reality would have been at that time.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Stan said:
I just finished episode 4, two more to go until caught up.

Stupid question, but I'm terrible with history. This is about 99% fictional isn't it? Fun to watch, but it's way beyond what reality would have been at that time.
Think 99.999% fictional. But still a blast.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Lots of pretty bold moves by the writers tonight; big shake ups for a lot of characters, and now who knows where this goes? I did like the Da Vinci scuba gear and blow torch stuff ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
One heck of a cliffhanger going into Season 2, but I liked the action quite a bit. Good fun, very over the top; falls into that "Wild WIld West" category and does it very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks