What's new

David Lynch's Lost Highway (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I just finished watching this film for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. You can see Lynch's Mulholland Drive ideas developing during this film...and there are obvious similarities.

One thing I was wondering was, why did it get panned so hard by most of the press. I went back and read Ebert's reviews of Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, and while I can agree that Mulholland Drive is a better film (or at least more complete), I think he likes MD for the same reasons that he dislikes LH. In fact, check out these quotes:

From Lost Highway:
Individual scenes play well by themselves, as they do in dreams, but they don't connect in a way that makes sense--again, like dreams.
I think we can all agree that both films are about how the internal psyche processes things, so I don't understand why the "individual scenes" that don't connect are any different than the "isolated scenes" that don't connect.

I also like the fact that in both films, characters gain further distrust of reality. I'm mainly speaking of the Club Silencio scene in MD and numerous scenes in LH.

Most importantly, WHY THE HELL isn't Lost Highway on DVD. Are there any release rumors, or am I doomed to walk the face of the earth without a decent copy.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This film is simply spectacular, and is my second favorite Lynch film! The film is overwhelmingly dreary and grim, and every actor is at the top of their game, especially Bill Pullman, the utterly gorgeous Patricia Arquette, and of course Robert Blake as the fucking freaky as all hell Mystery Man! The scene where Pullman meets him at the party is one of my favorite scenes in any film, and is extremely chilling!

I still don't understand this film completely (who does?), but I have a few different interpretations, and this film is very haunting, and is one of the most brilliant and best films of the 90s, and is a true favorite of mine! Of Lynch's stellar body of work, it is only surpassed by one of the top three best films of all time, MULHOLLAND DR.. I absolutely long for this film on R1 DVD in widescreen! Also, is it just me, or does this film seem underappreciated as hell? Long live Lynch!

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Those reviewers fail to see the brilliance. :)

Last year (or the year before), the DVD was set to be released by USA Films. Then USA Films was bought by some studio that I cannot remember. No word on a release since.

I wouldn't doubt seeing it this year but Lynch will be working on Wild At Heart set to be released this fall.

One can only hope.

I've been hoping for a while considering my old sig image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks