What's new

David Lynch's DUNE--new DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Roger_R

Second Unit
The so-called R2 edition from Sanctuary Entertainment is not region encoded so anyone with a PAL-compatible system or a DVD-player with a PAL-to-NTSC convertor should be able to play it.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

That was me who reported that. It was announced (tentatively, it seems) along with 12 Monkeys:CE, Meet the Parents:SE and The Thing:CE. Since then, two of those films have been officially announced, and the third (12 Monkeys:CE) has long been rumoured. However, the continuing advertisements never picked up on the Dune:SE again, much to my dismay.

I've never tried squeezing info out of our distributors, but we do talk to them on the phone monthly about special-order titles. Maybe I can get an update from our boy at VPD if I ask really, really nice. ;)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I LOVE this movie. I'd love to see a full-blown director's cut or at least a fully (maybe Lowry treatment) restored anamorphic transfer. And, this is Universal so maybe DTS is a possibility too.

What's that company that makes all those nifty EX and ES mixes for those cheap Artisan catalogue titles? Don't know why they slipped my mind. Maybe because of this damn cold.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
According to DVD Answers, Universal is re-releasing Dune on May 10. It'll have both the theatrical cut and extended cut.

I assume that Lynch will have no part of the release since it has the extended cut on it.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
DaViD,

This would be GREAT, but I just hope that Lynch has reconsidered his opinion on this one, since last I heard, he said, that he greatly disliked the idea of going back and making a "director's cut," saying that theatrical cut is his director's cut, even when we know the facts behind the production of this film to prove otherwise.

I am also curious as to how they are going to do a anamorphically-enhanced version of the extended, "Allen Smithee" cut, since it uses several shots over and over again, which they tried to hide by using alternate sides of the pan-and-scanned image.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Every year we Dune fans get our hopes up that we'll finally get get the definitive version of David Lynch's Dune. But it'll probably be a re-release of the fullscreen Alan Smithee ext.edition which has been around for ages. I'm just praying that this time it may somehow be released in widescreen 5.1.:)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm praying that the extended cut is *NOT* the "Smithee" version which, while adding some interesting content and some scenes that never should have been deleted, is really a hack-job without the sense of artistry that characterizes the theatrical cut (however studio-i-fied it may have ended up). Also, the Smithee version has the same rote Toto-theme just playing over and over in the background (because the score was off-sync with all the edits, they just looped the same "Dune" theme over and over and over and over and over...really cheezy considering how lush and beautiful the musical score is in the theatrical cut) and had an amaturish feel...in some cases the added scenes should have been trimmed or better integrated into the whole.

Please Lynch. PLEASE!!!!! (begging)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm with you David but if it is the Smithee version please let it be in widescreen.
Anyone know Lynch's address? Maybe if we all went round and paid him a visit...:D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm down for this, as long as it contains a Lynch approved version, what ever that version may be.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I have a great paperback from when the film was released called The Making of Dune, by Ed Naha. To read it, you'd think everything went swimmingly, everybody loved everybody else on the set, and that a great time was had by all.

The best story is the one about the order for millions of condoms to be sent down to Mexico (to be cut apart and used to make part of the giant sandworm model), where someone says something about how confused customs must be about what kind of film they're making out there in the desert.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Dune Extended Edition for 10th May 2005 priced at $27.98 SRP. Dazzling special effects, unforgettable images and powerful performances highlight David LynchÕs stunning film version of Frank Herbert's classic science fiction epic about an intergalactic warriorÕs messianic rise. Starring Kyle MacLachlan, JosŽ Ferrer, Max von Sydow, Oscar winner Linda Hunt and Sting, Dune is the ultimate adventure experience that goes beyond the imagination.

This two-disc set presents both the Extended Version (190mins) and Original Theatrical Version (137mins) together in a Metal Snap Case packaging. Specs and details on bonus features are currently TBA.

-DVD Times

Jo_C

Second Unit
I pieced together my own personal version of DUNE using all three major versions (Theatrical, Allen Smithee, and KTVU hybrid versions) into one, but leaving out all the redundant footage present in the Smithee cut. Because the theatrical and TV versions have different narrators, I took each half of DUNE and made it into its own film (with the TV narrator for part one, Princess Irulan for part two). While still not a perfect film, this is as close as I have gotten to Lynch's original vision.

I don't know if any of you DUNE-ers have seen this version (Bill Williams has).

Another DUNE fan was going to do his own extended cut of the film with recreated sequences done by computer to fill in the gaps, but it proved to be too much of a hassle.

If Universal sticks to their word and releases their special edition DVD as scheduled in May, I seriously doubt they would include any other supplemental material such as lost scenes, or even the supplemental material found on Sanctuary Video's DVD special edition overseas.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Holy crap! I never thought that the TV cut would ever get a legit R1 release...

Perhaps there won't be new supplements, but I can't imagine there being multiple cuts with no extras whatsoever on the set.

Joe:C

Second Unit
Anyone looking for a David Lynch re-cut is probably going to be dissapointed. He's said time and time again he felt like he "sold out" making this movie. I guess we'll just have to wait and see as more info comes out.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Wow! And I had given up on this one -- assuming that the HD-DVD release was going to replace the regular DVD special edition that had been announced.

Great news! At this point I'm just happy that it's being re-released with improved a/v quality. The fact that both cuts will be presented is much better than I expected. Throw in the original trailer and some featurettes and I'm more than a happy camper. Metal keep case? Sweet!:emoji_thumbsup:

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
If it includes the wretched Smithee version, then I'll pass on this release, and get the HD-DVD version later in the year. OTOH if Lynch is involved and we get a proper SE DVD, I'll buy both! :D

But frankly, I think the theatrical cut is just about perfect.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I too love the theatrical cut. Would love a Lynch 'director's cut' even more...but the theatrical cut is elegant, artful, and beautifully edited (despite missing a few key scenes which would be nice to have back)...

And the score...mmm....

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love the theatrical cut, but with a few of the lost scenes back in and an actual girl doing the voice of Alia, instead of a grown woman, Hanna Barbera style.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks