What's new

David Foster wants to pitch new Trek series. (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
A friend of mine posted this on another Board. I thought I would share it here. ******************************** http://www.themarysue.com/david-foster-new-star-trek-series/ Six years after Star Trek: Enterprise went off the air, one movie, and one rumor of a failed Brian Singer pitch have all led up to this: a possible new Star Trek series that might have a fighting chance to get off the ground. David Foster (1947 Entertainment) has told Trek Web that he not only has a pilot script, but a full series plan with a finale -- but it has yet to be officially pitched. This all is a very exciting possibility for Trekkies, but could this be an opportunity to introduce new fans to the decades-old franchise? (Maybe a new series could do the same for Star Trek what it did for another sci-fi institution?) The interview, which took place at Creation's 2011 Star Trek Las Vegas Convention, touched on many interesting details about Foster's new pitch, but the most promising was how developed it is. Foster is not messing around -- he is really prepared to make his case to CBS: The series concept is fully developed, subject to change of course, with a solid 5-7 year series plan, pilot script and a conceptualized finale that intends to define Star Trek for generations, extensive character bios, costume and ship/set designs, and more. This is a drastic departure from the typical 8-10 page treatment of the previously pitched Star Trek series ideas that have not included even a pilot script. He also discusses where this new series would fall in the Star Trek canon -- pre-2009's "alternate canon" from the movie, post-Voyager and that it is intended "to return Star Trek to its original series roots in big and mighty ways, without disregarding the other series and movies." He is using a "code name" -- S.E.T.I. -- as a working title for the series, which will involve a younger cast, many of the alien races we've already met, and a major plotline with the Ferengi: The Ferengi have discovered a vast new resource that has propelled them towards instant riches and power beyond anything they have previously experienced. Foster says that his pitch has a lot of support among people who have worked on past Star Trek series and that a possible pitch trailer could be on the way. But remember -- no official pitch to CBS (or any network) has occurred yet. Funnily enough, we think the best perspective on what a new Star Trek series could be like was voiced on Chris Hardwick's Nerdist podcast that featured Wil Wheaton, Karen Gillan and Matt Smith. Specifically, that a new Star Trek series could do for that franchise what a new series did for Doctor Who in 2005. (Trek Web via /Film) ******************************** I think this could be interesting. I can't wait to hear / read more about this. Okay, here is a bit more on the story: http://www.slashfilm.com/david-foster-preparing-pitch-star-trek-series/ I'm particularly intrigued by this part: "Foster envisions his series as a return to Roddenberry's original concept. "[W]hile Star Trek has moved on with other series that were not exactly in line with Gene's original vision, the roots are there to tap into," he said. Don't expect something too old-fashioned, though -- Foster also lists Joss Whedon, Ron Moore, Manny Coto, and J. Michael Straczynski as his inspirations on his site." When I saw the name of Straczynski, I immediately thought of how well-thought out (from start to finish) Babylon 5 was, and became quite hopeful for this new series.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The guy who wrote Wildflower?! Okay, it's a different David Foster. His biggest credit to date is writing on Richard Hatch's failed Battlestar Galactica relaunch, so I would remain skeptical about this. Too bad, because I really didn't like Star Trek (2009) and have no interest in the followup.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
this will never ever happen. This would require Paramount to A: actually interested in making a new Trek series, which there's been no indication of, and B: look for ideas for a Trek series from random people on the internet, which has NEVER happened in the history of entertainment. There's absolutely zero chance of Paramount ever considering this thing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Scott, is David Foster anyone who should be known to the fans of Star Trek or known to anyone for that matter?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Tony, I have no idea. I hadn't heard of him before the information was sent to me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ockeghem said:
Tony, I have no idea. I hadn't heard of him before the information was sent to me.
The problem is when news like that pops up is that it might as well have said My name there because why would CBS or whoever owns Star Trek care if Me or David Foster wanted to pitch a new series. I'm not getting on you Scott, but is this really even news. Now if J.J. Abrams had an idea to pitch that would be interesting even if you don't like his movie.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Tony, Thanks. I just posted it. People can make up their own minds if it's news or not. If the thread is uninteresting or unimportant, it can just be deleted by a moderator if they wish. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Scott, I just saw this thread. This is interesting news to me! One of the biggest mistakes I think and I have been saying for a long time is when the Star Trek franchise went theatrical. The TOS films were all good, with exceptions of course. But it lost something big. Especially for the TNG films, they lost that weekly ability to latch onto characters other then the main ones and to develop a continuing story arc and character arcs. They lost the ability to tell more intimate stories and stories that the Original Series did so well, morality plays and stories that spoke towards an issue in an entertaining way. Of course I realize this sort of thing is considered quant in today's TV land. I am not familiar with David Foster either, but if he's really going back to the basics of Star Trek and he can actually pull off a deal with a network or cable network and get something out, I'd be interested to see what he's got up his sleeve. JJ Abrams can keep going with their films, but I think his movie fell into the same trap they all do, try to top The Wrath of Khan and be nothing more then summer popcorn movies that focus on mindless action as that is the best a film like this can do if it wants to win big box office. Another fresh take on Star Trek could be a good thing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"They lost the ability to tell more intimate stories and stories that the Original Series did so well, morality plays and stories that spoke towards an issue in an entertaining way. Of course I realize this sort of thing is considered quant in today's TV land." Nelson, Well said, and I agree. I think you've highlighted a few of the reasons why TOS is as good as it is. For me, the quality of the story writing was for the most part exceptional.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Scott. Thanks! Yeah, it's what also keeps me watching it over and over. It was so well written and produced, for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks