What's new

David Bowie (1947-2016) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wow, this is shocking to me.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/david-bowie-dead-legendary-artist-854364

David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer, his rep confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief," read a statement posted on the artist's official social media accounts.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not entirely sure this is true at the moment. I found another article, published one hour ago, talking about how things are going well for him right now and he's got a new album coming out. Maybe they accidentally posted one of those stock obits they write? It's unlikely, but you never know.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Totally shocked to read this earlier this morning, especially considering he dropped a new album just this past Friday (his 69th birthday). He was one of the all-time greats, and his influence is incalculable.

I can still remember hearing "Space Oddity" for the very first time on the radio while riding in the back seat of the family car one Saturday afternoon back in the early 70s, and thinking what a strange and cool song it was.

I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

Indeed. R.I.P., Mr Bowie.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
tough to be playing country music this morning... I'd like to be at home with the Bowie albums going. huge shocking thing to hear about just an hour ago. bad bad loss. stunning career and musical ability...and the way he lived his life. 69 is too young for somebody like this.

There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He's told us not to blow it
'Cause he knows it's all worthwhile

I have Man Who Fell to Earth and will watch it very soon. I don't think i've ever seen it.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Heard this on the morning TV news. I'm also shocked. Just heard he'd turned 69. Had no idea he was fighting cancer. Sad news.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Shocked and deeply saddened to hear of David Bowie's passing. Took a while for me to get into his work but once I did I loved it.
Deepest condolences to his family, friends and legions of fans. This giant will be missed.

Regards,

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
David and Duncan.jpg

Very sad news.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I came of age in the early era of Bowie breaking big...I was in Junior and Senior High during his Ziggy Stardust period, and loved a lot of his music and novel performance style...but I was particularily impressed by the Cultural and Sensual effect he had on the young (and older) girls in my life...a fervent cult like devotion based as much on his evolving creative dynamism and good looks...I have three women in my life for whom David Bowie was the Ne Plus Ultra of pop star and music superstar...especially for those who's first sensual awakenings coincided with the Thin White Duke and the cinematic pop culture milestone of the film LABYRINTH...

I'll never forget my girlfriend's near obcessive fascination with him...at a concert, and in seeing him through a part in the backstage curtains...how she delighted in describing his slender and "beautiful" fingers as he puffed away stylishly on his cigarettes during his quick backstage breaks while the band performed their well timed solos...he was a chain smoker, after all...he simply made a lot of young girls and women tingle in ways we couldn't quite understand...the musical genius was far easier for me to grasp...I know I ended up loving his music even more so because of these girls in my life...RIP David Bowie, I know an Angel who awaits you in Heaven...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It usually doesn't affect me THAT much when an older genius dies, because I don't know them personally and they've given what they can give. The thing about Bowie, though, was that I told everyone who'd listen that even today, after all these years, hearing his single "Blackstar" was the biggest musical surprise I got last year.

A first single that's that experimental, that long, that catchy and that interesting is very unique. Now, a lot about it is Radiohead-esque, but that was always his thing -- synthesizing whatever he was interested in at the time into something very, very Bowie. It was really a surprise, hearing that song, and I've yet to hear the record, but that's what pisses me off the most. He still had the capacity to surprise and delight, and would have had a lot to contribute over the next decade.

On the bright side, his new album was apparently recorded as a farewell statement, knowing he was dying. To exit the stage on his own terms musically will only add to his legend, and I'm sure people will dig into the new album and its meanings going forward now. A lot of the music I love (outside of Bowie himself) would never exist without him, so it's pretty cool that, even in his dying days, he could still kick most of their asses.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to pretend like I know the deeper tracks on Bowie's records but he was obviously a massively influential artist who is leaving a huge legacy. His music has enhanced many movies that I love (Lost Highway. Inglourious Basterds and even a recent episode of Mad Men). Thoughts to his family and friends.

joshEH said:
Also-also...it just dawned on me that we're never going to see Special Agent Phillip Jeffries again.

And we were so close.
We're not going to talk about Judy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks