What's new

Dave Matthews: Some Devil (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron, no doubt for 99% of the egomaniacs...er...artists out there, a "solo" album is the death knell for their soon-to-be-former band. Many suffer from LSD (Lead Singer Disease) which is a definite precursor to the solo album.

But Dave I think is one of those truly talented musicians who has so many ideas that they can't all be contained in one band, no matter how diverse (and DMB has to be one of the most diverse bands in modern rock) and talented the players are. And don't forget Boyd just released his solo album too, and Carter plays drums on quite a few non-DMB records/tracks.

My personal take is that they've been together, what, a decade and a half? That's a long time, and to keep things fresh, solo projects and outside-of-the-band gigs are the way to go. I love the Dave/Tim shows, they truly bring out the soulfulness in a lot of his songs. And Trey Anastasio has added a bit of funkiness to Some Devil.

I would be devastated if DMB breaks up, but we all know it's a matter of time (god I hope they don't keep chugging along rehashing old stuff like the Stones or Aerosmith into their 60's). But I really don't thing Some Devil is a precursor to the inevitable break up. And I agree that the new DMB will sound amazing.

Actually, not to sound morbid, but I think the only way DMB will end prematurely may be akin to Zeppelin's (ie. the untimely passing of a bandmember and the others don't want to go on). They do strike me as a family, and I could see an untimely passing as something that would just make them stop DMB as we know it. Hope that never happens.

Nick-G

Agent
I am growing to love this CD. Save Me, Oh, Some Devil, Too High, and Stay or Leave are definately stand outs for me! I haven't liked DM material since the Lillywhite Sessions, but I do like this CD!

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"The recent upswing leaves year-to-date sales lagging only 7.4% behind last year, vs. 8.3% a month ago."

And I'm sure the record-aholes will contribute this to the fact that they have been suing those illegal file traders.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Save Me, Oh, Some Devil, Too High, and Stay or Leave are definately stand outs for me!
Don't forget Dodo, So Damn Lucky, Up and Away...all killer tunes!

After listening to this CD in the car since it was released, I finally decided to take it inside to sit back and listen to it on my HT system. All I have to say is DAMN, it rocks! Only by listening to it on a more revealing system did I realize what a work of musicianship it is. There are so many textures and layers on this CD that just cannot be discerned on an average car system. "Grey Blue Eyes" immersed me in sound and made me feel so relaxed, it was like I was floating in a pool of water and "Some Devil" makes you feel like you're in a cavern. I also could not believe how W I D E the soundstage was. I mean, it seemed to extend a few feet to the right and left of my front speakers. I especially dig the sound of this CD in regards to the live feel of it. On my system, you can "hear" the room that it was recorded in. While previously I felt that Trey and Tim was somewhat buried in the mix, I was now able to focus in on their guitar parts and enjoy them so much more. What a pleasant surprise this recording is in addition to the excellent music!

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Not to nitpick, but the article quoted from "Billboard's Wes Orshoski" is the one that I linked to above. Nancies added some guess-work to the article. Still, good news all around!

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Official word from the Warehouse about the "Dave and Friends" tour:

It sounds like it will be a great tour, but unforunately, I won't be able to make any of the shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks