What's new

Dave Matthews: Some Devil (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Is anyone else excited about this. I am ambivalent about "Gravedigger," but I liked some of the clips of other songs I have heard. It should be an interesting project. I noticed that it is currently at #14 and #88 (special edition) at Amazon.

The offical site for Some Devil is located here and includes the very cool video for Gravedigger, as well as the standard verison and the acoustic version of the song.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'm looking very forward to it. I liked what I heard so far from various clips though I agree about Gravedigger. Lots of good Dave related stuff on the way.

The Central Park show is going to be released in early November, followed by a D&T show (probably Purdue) from the 2003 tour and I think a 3 DVD release from a series of shows from 2002 early in '04...though I don't recall which ones.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
So what's the story? The "official site" has no information. Maybe it's been covered here (I need to do a search). Is this a full-length solo album? Like Everyday? (now I'm being snotty)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I really, really dig the acoustic Gravedigger. LOVE IT!! Looks like that will be on the CD also. Does anyone know where the "exclusive 5 song" extra disc will be found. Looks like it's acoustic Dave & Tim. I see amazon is selling it but I would also figure that Best Buy would have it also.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Yes, this is a full-fledged solo album of some songs Dave had been working on that didn't fit into the band. He worked with producer Steve Harris (Busted Stuff producer) and wrote additional songs with various album collaborators to flesh out the full album. Here is a July 14, 2003 Billboard article about the album.

There are three versions of the "bonus" CD featuring live songs from the acoustic Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds tour earlier this year. One has 5 songs and will be available in retail stores. The second has 7 songs and is available if you pre-order through www.dmband.com. The 3rd version has 9 songs and is available if you are a member of the official DMB fanclub (Warehouse) and preorder through the club.

Here is the official listing for the 9-song version:

1. Grey Street from 4-3-3
Elliott Hall of Music, Purdue University - West LaFayette, IN

2. When The World Ends from 3-28-3
Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum - Winston-Salem, NC

3. Jimi Thing from 3-22-3
Radio City Music Hall - New York, NY

4. Stay or Leave from 4-3-3
Elliott Hall of Music, Purdue University - West Lafayette, IN

5. Seek Up from 3-20-3
Ryan Center, University of Rhode Island - Kingston, RI

6. Crush from 3-28-3
Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum - Winston-Salem, NC

7. Drive In Drive Out from 3-20-3
Ryan Center, University of Rhode Island - Kingston, RI

Tracks 8 and 9 are exclusive to the Warehouse version.

8. Cry Freedom from 4-4-3
Physical Education Center, Carthage College - Kenosha, WI

9. Dancing Nancies from 4-4-3
Physical Education Center, Carthage College - Kenosha, WI

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Seems like Circuit City is going to have the 9 track bonus disc according to their web site. Could be an error, but I've heard a few Warehouse members complain about the member exclusives in the past so you never know.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I just checked the CC site and it does list the 9 track bonus disc. I hope like hell that is a misprint. The Warehouse is only good for so much, and "exclusive tracks" is supposed to be a major draw. Bestbuy doesn't seem to have a track listing yet while Amazon lists a "5 track bonus CD."

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I just checked the CC site and it does list the 9 track bonus disc. I hope like hell that is a misprint. The Warehouse is only good for so much, and "exclusive tracks" is supposed to be a major draw. Bestbuy doesn't seem to have a track listing yet while Amazon lists a "5 track bonus CD."
I hope it's a misprint too. If not, it may cause an uproar at the Warehouse. I gave up on the Warehouse last year...just wasn't offering enough IMO.

Hey Chris, do you collect shows?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I gave up on the Warehouse last year...just wasn't offering enough IMO.
A friend of mine living in Boston thinks the same thing. She has been a member for like 4 years and, on this recent go-round, got only decent seats for the show in her area (something like a 200 section). She then freaked when she put a ticket request in for me and I nabbed two 2nd row seats!!! I know she's pissed, but I'm gonna be jammin' in the second row at the Atlanta show tonight, baby!!!:D What a great way to celebrate my 1-year wedding anniversary and first ever Saturday night for my 20th+ show.;)

As for SD, I've been getting kind of weary about Dave's solo CD. Apparently, there's also been news that he will be touring to support this CD and that the tour will be called something like "Dave Matthews & Friends". I fear that this may be the beginning of the end of the DMB. You have to wonder if there are some marketing execs whispering in Dave's ear about how he is the band and how he doesn't need the other "guys". Anyway, FWIW, it is a new Dave release (albeit a solo one), so I'm looking forward to it. I really wanna hear the version of "Stay or Leave" as it is an achingly beautiful ballad...gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it. "Save Me" sounds good too, but it makes me wonder about Dave's preoccupation with religion and what he really has to say/thinks about it. What surprised me is that the label released "Gravedigger" first. I mean, I do like the song, but surely there has got to be something that stands out more or is a bit more upbeat on this CD than this track.

Chris and Carl,

I have something like 40 shows (CD and cassette), so if you're looking to trade, lemme know. I also have a few John Mayer shows in case you're interested. In fact, I just got 4th rows seats for the Atlanta show using his ticketing club. Not bad considering how I joined the club 10 minutes before I put the request in for the tickets.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Hey Ron, how was the show?

That was the last straw for me with the Warehouse too, when they pretty much made seniority preference for tix meaningless.

I'm a little curious to see how Dave's solo gig plays out too. It doesn't look good for the bands future in my opinion, but by all accounts he's said to be a level headed guy without a big ego so hopefully DMB will stay intact.

The Dave Matthews and Friends tour is almost sure to happen from what I've read. Having seen D&T at Radio City and West Point already this year, I'm not overly excited about the idea of seeing Dave, Tim and Trey Anastacio as the primary players with few extras here or there. Doesn't mean I wouldn't go, but I'd rather see the band and didn't get to this tour.

For a guy who was suppossedly raised Quaker and turned agnostic, he sure does seem to be writing more and more about religion. Don't know what that's about, and he rarely makes any straight comments so we'll probably never know.

I'm gonna drop you a PM...

Howie A

Second Unit
I am wondering why at circuit citys web site they list the bonus cd as having 9 tracks and the disk I got from there only has 5 bonus tracks..??..

This was copy and pasted right off there site?..?
What is up with that SH#%?

Music » Dave Matthews » Some Devil [Bonus Disc]

Some Devil [Bonus Disc]
Dave Matthews

CD $9.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Label: RCA
Release Date: 9/23/2003

Disc 1

1.Dodo - 4:57

2.So Damn Lucky - 4:34

3.Gravedigger - 3:53

4.Some Devil - 4:04

5.Trouble - 5:44

6.Grey Blue Eyes - 3:01

7.Save Me - 4:33

8.Stay or Leave - 4:02

9.An' Another Thing - 5:30

10.Oh - 2:48

11.Baby - 2:19

12.Up and Away - 4:19

13.Too High - 5:38

14.Gravedigger [Acoustic] - 3:52

Disc 2

1.Grey Street [Live] - 4:46

2.When the World Ends [Live] - 4:33

3.Jimi Thing [Live] - 8:48

4.Stay or Leave [Live] - 4:24

5.Seek Up [Live] - 7:21

6.Crush [from 3-28-3 Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum - Winston-S

7.Drive in Drive Out [from 3-20-3 Ryan Center, University of Rhode Island

8.Cry Freedom [from 4-4-3 Physical Education Center, Carthage College - K

9.Dancing Nancies [from 4-4-3 Physical Education Center, Carthage College

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
See post #7 above. To get all nine songs on the bonus CD, you had to be a member of the Warehouse fanclub and preorder through the club. I got mine today, but haven't had a full listen today. I'll post my impressions soon.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think people are jumping the gun on the whole "Dave's leaving DMB" theory.

Dave and Tim have been playing solo shows for years. Dave's had ideas that (and I've heard a good portion of the songs on this CD) don't really fit in the scheme of DMB. Dave is not your up-n-coming rock star who would fall prey to some studio suit telling him to ditch those others in the band. They're like family, they've been together a long time. And Dave's got one of the most level heads of all the mega-acts in the industry.

If DMB ends it will be because the band feels it's the right time, and not because some studio exec convinced Dave to strike out on his own. Not many bands stay together forever (and in cases like The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith they should have stopped earlier ;) ) so I do believe that DMB will eventually stop. But not because Some Devil has been released.

Just my take.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have given the album a listen and I am very pleased. The standouts for me include Dodo, So Damn Lucky, Trouble, Grey Blue Eyes, Up and Away, and Oh . There is enough variety to avoid generalizing about the album, with instrumentation running the gamut from Dave and a guitar (Some Devil), to full orchestration (Baby) to gospel choir backing (Save Me), to synth pop (Trouble).

For Dave Matthews Band fans, this departure is a must buy and a recommended purchase for others as well.

An' Another Thing...
If you missed the band's appearance on the Today show this morning, Dave and Carter put to rest those rumors that the band is about to split. Dave said something along the lines that the band breaking up is his worst fear and they all work to keep it going. They love playing together--period.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Howie, a friend of mine ordered Some Devil from CC.com based on what he saw there, even though I warned him not to. He took the disc to the store to complain, and asked for a credit. He got an apology, and since it was unopened they offered to refund his money, but no dice on the credit.

As for Some Devil...Dodo and Grey Blue Eyes are the standouts for me. After several spins though, I'm finding the album a little difficult to warm up to. It has some texture to it, and Dave is in fine voice. But this disc isn't doing what A Perfect Circle did for me last week....Which was make me say wow.

On a related note..The bonus disc is good if you don't have any D&T tracks from the 2003 tour. But their choices as to which shows they pulled these from are a little odd. Crush is great, and When The World Ends is the best sounding Radio City track anyone will ever have. But otherwise, it's a bit of a mystery why they chose that version of Grey Street and Nancies when there were several superior performances of each from early in the tour.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I think people are jumping the gun on the whole "Dave's leaving DMB" theory.
Carlo,

Yeah, you're right, but can you blame us?! :D The "solo album" is usually the first indication that a band is going to break up, so I think that's what caused fans to get a bit nervous. Before the show, I read a group interview (not with the band but other music stars) in Entertainment Weekly and Dave had an interesting quote which put things into perspective...it was something along the lines of taking time away from your family to play with friends. After being so close to the stage last week and seeing first hand the interaction between the guys in the band (on numerous occasions, Dave missed a lyric and would turn around and laugh it up with Carter, Stefan and LeRoi would hang by their equipment in between songs and goof on each other, etc.), I am no longer concerned about a break up. In fact, Dave's stated in several TV/print interviews that his time recording this CD only got him more excited to get back in the studio with the band to record another album. That being said, I think the next DMB is gonna be amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks