What's new

Dave Matthew Band - Discussion of "Stand Up" (1 Viewer)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Yeah not to mention the producer Stephen Harris(on BS) seemed to not push the band much. From what I have read of his postings on DMB web pages he sounds more like a fanboy than a producer. I think DMB just felt comfortable with him as he played engineer for Lillywhite. I just felt that alot of the songs on Busted Stuff had excellent potential but lacked any energy at all. Like you said it felt like the band was just going through the motions. I think they tried to appease the fans too much with that release and alot of fans really didn't care for the feeling of the record.

From what I have seen on the videos on DMBBand.com it really appears as if Marc Baston pushed these guys around. As a guitar player and fan of music I believe it is important to have that person there pushing you forward. I love American Baby, the Sax jam at the end is very reminiscent of something off of Crash. Dave also keeps confirming my suspicions of his metamorphisis into Peter Gabrielle(A GOOD THING) with his vocal tracks. And Carter's playing at the end is extremely solid and cocky something I have only really heard in concert.

I just wish we could get Before These Crowded Streets on an SACD. That album is BEGGING for a multichannel mix. The production that went into that album is amazing and still stands as my favorite DMB album.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
The problem with BS in my opinion, is that they were just coming off of Everyday - they were released within like a year of each other. Like you said a bunch of the songs were a bit tired out by the time the cd was released. I'm a bit optimistic with the sound of American Baby, and it's comforting to know Joy Ride and Hello Again are both on the cd, I'd really like to see Sugar Will stay in the mix of things too, it's a nice, different sound.

BTCS happens to be my favorite studio album as well. While I feel the majority of their songs sound much better live, in my opinion Pig will never be duplicated as to how it sounds on the album, it's a close to perfect as possible.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I haven't really seen the track listing of the tunes (trying though!), but I did hear that the 4 songs that they debuted this past tour aren't going to be on it...weird as they were some really solid tunes. I was looking forward to hearing the studio versions of them.

Does this thread need to be named, "The Official DMB 'Stand Up' Discussion Thread?"

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Well for Stand Up I can tell you from what I ahve read about the listening party on Monday night....Hello Again is a lock for the album and Joy Ride is gone. However there is a new song titled Smooth Ride totally unrelated to Joy Ride. Also Pre-Orders from the bands page include some B-Sides perhaps this will be Sugar Will(which I love, Joy Ride, and Crazy-Easy or Good Good Time? Anyone have the new Live Trax by the way? Just curious how it is.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
The reasoning behind not including the songs performed on this tour were offered at the listening party as well. Apparently the band was already tired of them and felt they don't really fit with the direction of Stand Up. For anymore info I check out Antsmarching.org and nancies.org.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Did a search at the Amidreaming.org boards and saw this review of "Stand Up" (http://www.amidreaming.org/dreamers/...ght=track+list):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

Hey folks, just got into the hotel after a long night of DMB and mingling. There were a lot of fine folks there this evening, most notably Boyd Tinsley, Mr. Capshaw, Bruce Flohr, and Chris Kress (lead recording engineer). Also on hand were Matt Yette of ants, Waldo of Nancies, and various other Music Today and Red Light employees.

Now to the good stuff:

American Baby
The listening party started off with what is arguably the most DMB-like song on the album. This tune captures a combo of Hip Hop percussion with an intricate Boyd violin-picking riff, and takes a leap into the ranks of Best of What's Around. Although this song boasts the new DMB sound an image, it captures the feeling of "Togetherness" that has been a part of the DMB community for many years... and as Dave beckons us to "Stay American Baby", a roaring chorus and a two-track-dubbed Leroi solo rockets the song into DMB bliss. With a huge jam-finish, the first single will undoubtedly leave fans drooling for more. This song will hit radio stations friday.

Dream Girl
As the second single from their new album, Dream Girl hurls fans towards a new musical direction. After an African-style vocal intro, Dave's twangy guitar work creeps into a Fugees-esq love song. This song explores a hip-hop percussion set, with a guitar riff comparable to one you might find in the R&B/Reggae genre. Be prepared, this is not your typical "Eat Drink And Be Merry".

Everybody Wake Up
This song introduces itself with a 50's style mandolin/violin intro, and quickly hurries itself into a Rock/Pop/Rap format. While this may scare fans, I can honestly tell you not to worry. This song boasts a heavy Police influence in the chorus, and includes backup vocals by Boyd, and a short megaphone verse by dave. Distorted vocals and an interesting percussion beat may leave fans of Before These Crowded Streets a bit unsatisfied, but those of you with the ability to grow with the band will appreciate and enjoy the new blend of style.

Steady As We Go
What the hell? Dave plays piano! So does Carter! Yes, you are reading this correctly... Dave and Carter have a hand in what is definitely the most soul-touching song on the album. While many fans consider Crush to be the ultimate love song, Steady As We Go explores a new piano-driven direction that only Dave can take us. For the first two minutes, Dave pours his heart out with a touch of "Light Lift Me Up" and "JTR" lyrics, and sings a soft ballot over an intricate piano progression. Then, just when you're thinking "What the hell, Dave singing alone over a piano?", the rest of the band dives into the song and offers a true orgasm for the ear.

Some notes about this album:
- Due out May 10th.
- Fonz Plays Guitar
- All band members sing.
- BT wrote the violin riff for American Baby
- BT Plays the mandolin
- Dave and Carter play piano.
- No friction came about during the development of the album.
- This album is considered to be the band's gift to itself. Their hope is that you, the fan, can enjoy this album and view it as the language in which the band communicates with each other. Everybody Wake Up defines the manner in which previous albums were developed, and how different this album was in the studio.

I hope this brings as much joy to you as it did to me. I can only hope you will enjoy the album as much as I did tonight, and I hope this helps generate positive discussion within the community.

Time for this boy to get to sleep. Night all!

PS... Dr Dre and Jay-Z were considered to produce, but were not asked to come down to the studio. Just an FYI for all the nay-sayers who doubted our post a few months ago
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Ordered it, but it hasn't arrived yet. From what I read, the sound quality is killer throughout. Also, it's supposed to have one of the best versions of "Busted Stuff."

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Live Trax 3 Is deffinately their best out of the new series. The recording quality is superior in my mind to Red Rocks. Nice wide sound stage. The band sounds extremely tight. Nice to hear the Lillywhite Raven. And Carter rules Say Goodbye.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Just thought I'd update as a tracklisting has been released:

Dreamgirl
Old Dirt Hill (Bring That Beat Back)
Stand Up (For It)
American Baby Intro
American Baby
Smooth Rider
Everybody Wake Up (Our Finest Hour Arrives)
Out of My Hands
Hello Again
Louisiana Bayou
Stolen Away on 55th and 3rd
You Might Die Trying
Steady As We Go
Hunger for the Great Light

Also, in case you haven't heard, there is to be a 2-day mini-festival on Randall's Island in NYC.

Sat / Jul 30 / Main Stage: Dave Matthews Band, Barenaked Ladies and Robert Randolph & the Family Band
Side Stage: Ray Lamontagne, Jem and Mike Doughty

Sun / Jul 31 / Main Stage: Dave Matthews Band, Black Eyed Peas and Robert Randolph & the Family Band
Side Stage: Ray Lamontagne, Jem and Mike Doughty

Most definately jealous of anyone who gets out there, 1 month till CD hits the streets, can't wait!

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Just downloaded about 6 or 7 30-second clips of new songs and oh man am I worried, they do not sound good at all. Less than one month till cd on the shelves, I feel like the B-side cd is gonna be better than the actual album. :frowning:

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I heard about these...there's a lot of buzz on all of the boards about 'em. While I haven't heard 'em myself, I think that people need to give the band enough respect to listen to the album in it's entirety rather than jugding them based on a few 40-second clips. Just my $0.02.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I have hear them and I have to say I too am disappointed....but to be honest when I heard the radio version of American Baby I was really disappointed too. and then I heard that last 40 seconds and that really just made the song for me...so I'm hoping that since we are only hearing about 4-5 minutes of album in these clips....the rest sounds better...because this sounds like some devil mated with everyday

Mike Slade

Second Unit
Well I must say that all the talk on the DMB boards does have me a little worried. Seems like just about everyone is saying the clips that were out there were terrible. Didn't get a chance to check them out myself but I can't believe it's that bad. Probably just not what everyone is expecting so they just immediately jump to "terrible." Anyway weren't there a good number of people last summer saying those songs were bad? I remember being a little worried about those and once I heard them I thought they were great.

Hmmm, i'm good with that.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
The production on this album just takes a totally different turn. At first listen, everyone's impression has been "whoa, this is bad" because the songs sound just a lot different from anything that we've heard them put out. Then upon second and third listenings, when really trying to concentrate on what we are hearing, most people are realizing that these songs seriously do not sound good. I have been a devoted fan since the day Under the Table... was released (over 10 years), and listening to their music usually works its way into almost every day for me, but what I'm hearing from these 6 or so clips is just bad. That's pretty much all I've got.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Like I told Matt, after hearing the song clips, I think people are going to be surprised by how good the tunes are when they hear them in the right chronologial order, in their entirety and on a slammin' damn sound system! "American Baby" took a little while to grow on me, but now I can honestly say that I love this tune. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I expect to really enjoy this CD. Other than Everyday (even though there are some good songs on that disc), they've yet to let me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks