What's new

Dave Matthew Band - Discussion of "Stand Up" (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
The day I've been waiting for has finally come, got my Warehouse email this morning with the DMB tour dates for this summer. Can't decide where I'm going though, cause I still have no clue whether I'll be spending my summer in Cali, NY or Florida. One thing for sure though is that I'm going to the New Orleans Jazz Fest to see them at the end of April. Gonna be sooo nice to hear new DMB songs again :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Unfortunately, no. Just like every year, there's speculation that it's coming, everyone has their 'sources' and most people predicted a late winter dave/tim tour. My guess is that they do some international shows at the end of the year, and pray for a Dave/Tim tour at the beginning of next year. We'll see, either way, looks like I'll be checking them out at least 3 times this summer, can't wait :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Uh, where's the GA show? I mean, I've heard Dave doesn't like Atlanta, but I haven't missed a DMB show in the ATL since I moved here in '96. This year may be the first... That is ridiculous. I hope someone comes out and says it's an oversight with the tour date list or maybe just a bad dream. :frowning:

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
When I first saw the dates, I thought the same exact thing Ron. There's been talk on some boards that they're going to cap off the tour with some sort of festival in ATL, but nothing is definte yet, so we'll see...

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Looks like I'll be heading to Alpine Valley, WI for a camping weekend, with some Dave shows to top it off. Can't wait!! This will be my first DMB concert. :D

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Thanks Matt! I'll be catching them at least once but yes, I'm hoping for a D&T tour too. I saw my first D&T show just last tour at Radio City and would love to see it again.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I hear there is a hiatus announcement coming in May??? Sounds strange as it sounds like they are starting to push into the European market by touring Australia. Oh I also just won a framed Autographed DMB San Fran poster for pre-ordering their San Fran cd. :) :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Chet,

Enjoy your first DMB show...you won't be disappointed!

What??? As in a band hiatus? If so, uh'oh...:frowning:

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
There can't be a hiatus, this is the first full band CD since July 2002 (no, the DM and Boyd solo cd's don't count as band efforts). They're pushing it in Australia, playing some festivals (New Orleans Jazz, Bonaroo, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 2 more by year's end), and have a full 45+ show tour. I think the last thing they're looking at is a hiatus right now. There is a huge community of fans (I among them) who are eager to make sure that they've still got it with their new music. Everyday was a major let down. After Steve Lillywhite left as producer and a so-so Busted Stuff was left as a product, it let even more down. This new album has I believe Eminem's producer working on it, and they've definately got a more funky sound on some tracks from the samples they have released. Basically if the album is as bad as previous 2, they're gonna be forced to take a hiatus minus the MTV teeny-bopping crowd who thought "I Did It" was the hit of the year. I think/hope they've realized the recent mistakes and are making up for it on this tour and new album.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Just thought I'd reopen this to state that Warehouse (the official DMB club) just announced that the title of the new CD to be released May 10th, Stand Up and it will be offered as a CD, a CD/DVD (Dual-Disc) combo, and via digital download.

Details on the Dualy-Disc from the email: "dual discs contain a DVD, which includes a short feature of the making of the album plus the album in 24-bit stereo; the Audio side contains the full-length album."

Are most DD's only put into 24-bit stereo?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I saw the announcement as well and I am still trying to figure out how I feel about it.

I am looking forward to the new album, but this would be my first DualDisc. I wonder if I should get the CD-only version. At the same price-point, it will be a tough decision.

At least the pre-order package is a good value with a bonus disc.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Ya I feel the same, I don't own any DD, I'm just curious as to how good the 24-bit recording is. DMB is my favorite band, so it's tough for me not to opt for the best possible sound, but at the same time I don't really want anything to do with DD.

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know what format the 24-bit stereo would be in?

I'm disappointed they couldn't just put the content on two discs and save us the hassle. I wonder if the record company pushed dualdisc.

Warehouse members get 3 extra live tracks on the "b-sides" bonus disc. :D

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
***JUST ANNOUNCED***

Wednesday - July 13
HiFi Buys Amphitheatre - Atlanta, GA

Phew, I was getting worried there for a little while!:D

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Wow American Baby is extremely solid. I have heard Dave plays Piano on a song called Steady as We Go and it is supposed to be amazing. The band seems to be showing some real condfidence behind this album. You can really hear the musicianship shine on American Baby. I had low expectations after Everyday and what I feel was a very lazy Busted Stuff. But after hearing this my expectations are through the roof. I am no fan of Dual Disc and would love to hear some DMB on SACD but that will never happen. The Dual side sounds like a waste to me. I guess this also means that the album will be under 60 minutes. Pretty tight for the band considering there is supposed to be between 12-14 tracks on the album. I am very excited to see them at Saratoga this summer and in NYC.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

While I really do enjoy BS, I too feel like something was missing with it. It was almost like, "well, we've played these songs ad nauseum live and we just need to commit them to CD so that everyone will get what they want after the whole 'Lillywhite Session/Everyday' debacle." While there was a heavy, emotional vibe to the album in terms of lyrics, there was just no "UMPH" or emotion in the vocals and some of the music, save for the tunes that were written much later like "You Never Know" (an amazing tune, IMHO).

The new tunes sounds like they are refreshed and somewhat reinvented in a way like the producer breathed fresh air and life back into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks