What's new

Dave mack's stupid question of the week-2 (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
This always bugged me. When cooking, heating up with aluminum foil....
What side of the foil are you suppossed to place the food on? The 2 sides are different. One is shinier. No "instructions" on the box.

:)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want to keep food cold you should have the shiny side on the outside and if you want to keep things warm or are baking with the foil then have the shinny side on the inside since it reflects heat better.

That’s what a lot of people will say but I really doubt it makes a difference in the long run.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Cool, thanks.

:)

Just did a bit of surfing.

"Aluminum foil typically has a dull and a shiny side, which occurs during the manufacturing of the material. Typically, neither side is significantly better than the other for the general purposes of cooking, wrapping, covering, or lining processes when preparing or storing foods. However, since there is a dull and a shiny side, and since the shiny side is a better reflector of heat or cold, it may be of some value to use each side accordingly when cooking or storing foods. It is simply that the difference in value is very small and probably not noticable. That said, since the shiny side of foil will reflect heat better, wrap foods to be stored in refrigerated conditions with the shiny side out so warmer temperatures are reflected away and kept out of the wrapped food. Similarly, if an item is being cooked, it may slow some of the cooking process only slightly if the shiny side is on the outside of the item resulting in the heat being reflected. Or if you want wrapped foods to remain warm, wrap the food with the dull side out so the heat reflects off the shiny side and back into the food."

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=36504

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, "cold" is a meaningless term with respect to it being a quantifiable physical property that anything can be done with. There is only heat, its transfer, and the relative presence or lack thereof.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm guessing that food would stick more easier to the dull side, so I always put the shiny side inward when using it to cook.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh man! That has been my dream product. I always hoped they could invent a "Reverse Flashlight" where you could shine a beam of darkness and take away the light.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
For that matter, how does it "reflect heat"?
Do all the fast moving molecules bounce off the shiny side better than the dull side?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This isn't a stupid question, Dave, especially when you consider that i'm just plain facinated with aluminum foil in general. :D

I mean imagine that, an extremely thin sheet of metal that can be shaped and used to cook with! What will they think of next!? ;)

Just don't bite down on it, it hurts the teeth. Trust me, don't try that! :frowning:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
What side should be use if we're trying to keep Neil V from listening to thoughts in my head? Should I wrap my head with the shiny side out?

Jay

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
There are few molecules between the Sun and us, yet the heat gets here somehow: Radiation is one of three ways heat travels (conduction & convection being the other two).

Radiation can be reflected or absorbed.

--
H

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Stupid follow-up: Why ? Because of fillings ? What if you don't have any fillings ? Or...how about the new fillings that are less metallic (composite ?)

Dammit - I want to chew on foil ! :laugh:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Dunno... does it hurt the gums or the teeth? I would think teeth would be fairly impervious to foil... But perhaps the foil could be sharp for the gums....

Jay

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have no idea why it hurts to bite down on foil, but believe me when I say that it hurts like hell, especially when you do it with your back teeth...YOW!!! :frowning:

Actually, that isn't me, it's some dude's avatar that I "borrowed" from a Michael Myers website that i'm a member of. ;)

mark alan

Supporting Actor
The dull side and shiny side are simply a byproduct of the manufacturing process and there is no "right" side to use. Alcoa actually tested to see if there was a measurable difference between the sides (and there wasn't). I guess they got tired of being asked that question.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, Hormel also makes Chili. Talk about confusion - It's Chili, but it's HOT as hell - so which is it? Chili? Hot? :D

mark alan

Supporting Actor
From Alcoa's FAQs

Which side of Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil should I use, the shiny or the dull side?
Actually, it makes no difference which side of the aluminum foil you use—both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill's highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks