What's new

Dave Chappelle's Block Party (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Maybe some of the most fun I've had in a theater in a while. A blast from beginning to end, strong Recommend for "Block Party" Good music, and some funny bits. But what made the movie great was the entire plot of moving people who would normally never mix together to get them to come together and have a good time.

Easily worth the price of admission.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I had thought this was going to be a comedy concert (and that would be great), but then I read about the lineup... The Roots, Kanye, Talib Kweli, Jill Scott, the reformed Fugees, Common, Dead Prez, etc!! No crap P. Diddy or 50 Cent, just the very best hip-hop going. Unbelievable.

I can't wait to see it, and while I was originally hoping for Dave, Dave, and more Dave, now I'm hoping that the musical acts get full play.

And I know most everyone knows Kanye and The Roots and the Fugees, but I hope this turns people on to Jill Scott. IMO, she's not only one of the greatest singers of the day, she's also a musical genius. The way she bridges everything from hip-hop to soul to jazz, gospel, blues without watering down any of it or coming off as merely a dilettante is just amazing.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I can't wait to see this, as Director Michel Gondry is THE GOD OF FILM. Pick up his "The Works Of The Director" DVD for all the proof you need.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Loved this film! We went in expecting to see a concert video, and it was that, to some extent. But the backstory about the people being mixed in from other places, etc. was a real "message" piece about people coming together.

Yes, this isnt' a film that will be Box Office #1, but it should be. Just for the music alone, it's worth the price of admission, but for the story and Dave - great stuff!

Diallo B

Screenwriter
chris pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post.

there is a message to the film. and what is ironic is that this film was made before dave went on his "hiatus trip," but there are some subtle hints througout the film that he was not comfortable with the direction in which his television vehicle was heading.

great movie though, it was a refreshing time at the theater with all of the derivative stuff that that has been available as of late.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a hip-hop fan, so some of the music didn't appeal to me, though Chappelle was very entertaining in how he put together this concert, literally bringing in people that would never have otherwise set foot in such a venue, but doing so just to bring people together through humor and music, and the bonus was how director Michel Gondry weaved the backstories of the performers, the people and the actual concert into something better than the sum of the parts.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks