What's new

Data Projector for starter HT? LP 260 (1 Viewer)

Huey

Agent
Sony VPL-CX1 is an XGA LCD with 550 lumens. I had this before upgrading and it was great. It does fine in a dark room. Very nice and large picture. Even compatible with 1080i and 720p for HDTV as it has 750 TV lines. DVD looks great. Blacks are dark grays but not bothersome. Has 16:9 mode for squishing anamorphic DVD to correct imaging. Good deinterlacer for Svideo and composite sources. If you want good cable imaging get digital cable or satellite with Svideo out. Even analog cable will look great if you go with Svideo via SVHS VCR. Regular VCR via composite will look good too but not as good. It's not compatible with 480p or progressive DVD player but HTPC DVD via VGA will give you the best imaging. Last I saw this unit can be had for $1550 brand new with 3 year warranty and 2000 hour bulb ($250). This is a better deal than any SVGA LCD as it'll give you more resolution especially if you get HDTV later. Downside is low lumen so you'd have to have a darkened room to look good. DLP SVGA is OK too as DLP generally has better imaging than SVGA LCD due to less screendoor effect (pixelation). LT85 is a great price SVGA DLP with 800 lumens for $1700 with the same light engine and Vortex color enhancement of the famous LT150 (XGA DLP). Dell has a special on Viewsonic Lite Bird PJ870 SVGA DLP for $1300 with its 20% discount.
------------------
Huey :-]

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
BUMP!
Anybody else have any thoughts?
Has no one used a data projector at home, except Huey?
ANY help at all is appreciated.
Thank you,
Matt

SusanP

Grip
I have an LT-150 that I paid $2250. It's a great product. I can't comment on the LP260 but during my weeks of research I determined that the 150 was the best proj I could get for under 5K.
Data projectors can work if you pick the right one. If you need more info check out avsforum.com and projectorcentral.comI don't know how much you have to spend but do yourself a favor and spring for the 150. You won't be disappointed. In fact if you buy one and hate it, I'll buy it from you. They're that good.
Just be sure to use a progressive scan dvd player. I have the Panasonic RP56.
No if only my panamorph would arrive!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks