What's new

Darren Aronofsky's sci-fi epic "The Fountain" set to go (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Interesting how those who came into this movie with certain preconceptions, and held onto them, have generally been disappointed.

Mike, I generally agree with your summation, particularly as in the second post, though I have not taken the past and future section as "real" or any of the story as reincarnation or immortality once I had gotten about half way through the movie. To me, they are simply present day Izzi, and then Tommy, working out the whole concept by way of the novel. Probably a fairly minor quibble.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wonder if that is available in a downloadable form, without having Quicktime Pro...

Incidentally, Aronofsky specifically mentions the commentary does NOT give any explanation of what HE intends the movie to mean, which is a bit disappointing. I don't believe the creator's intent is the only valid one, but I would still like to know his thoughts.

Juan C

Second Unit
Chuck Mayer said:
Still ticked at the DVD not including a commentary track? Refusing to buy any potential new double dip just for a commentary track (not that such an option actually exists...)?
Hail Darren
"This site has exceeded the allotted bandwidth." Humph.
edit: over at chud someone found the MP3: http://www.darrenaronofsky.com/Media..commentary.mp3
But of course it's unavailable. If someone manages to get it, please upload it on rapidshare or something.
edit #2: well it is up again. Just in case, here it is: http://rapidshare.com/files/56342965...ntary.mp3.html

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Aronofsky's commentary is posted during the same week I happen to be taking off from work. Woo hoo. I just sat in my home theater with my laptop next to me and listened to it while unspooling the film on blu-ray.
Of course, DA does not spend much of any time discussing what the film means, or giving his own interpretation. He drops some very vague hints about what he feels is "real" and what isn't, but it strikes me that both sides of the argument (Future Tom is real vs. Future Tom isn't real) will find support in his cryptic statements.
You may find the commentary enlightening, or you may find it frustrating. Kinda like the movie.;)
--Jefferson Morris
P.S. Mike Knapp's theory above strikes me as a legitimate third interpretation too.

Juan C

Second Unit
Good commentary. Only a couple clues:

- Don't look for metaphors

- Notice how the position of Tomás kneeling by the tree of life is identical to another image of Future Tom kneeling by the spaceship tree.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ive been meaning to see this, but put it on my list after it was mentioned in the Sunshine thread. Finally saw it last night on cable.

I'll be picking up the HD version and rewatching it tonight.

A touching movie and great performance by Jackman. I was suprised.

edit:

That wired article is interesting. Love the line about him wasting months playing snowboarding games. Also wondering what this movie "could have been" since it mentions he moved foward with a slimmed down version. I remember liking Kent Williams work in the novel Blood way back in my artschool days so I may have to seek out the Graphic Novel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks