What's new

Darren Aronofsky's sci-fi epic "The Fountain" set to go (1 Viewer)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Rich:

The reason I love the film is because the film forces the characters (and the viewer) to face the reality that they are going to do a physical death someday. There is nothing they can do about it: they are going to die. Their best strivings cannot change that fact, and they come to accept it.

Now, I don't agree with all the conclusions that Arronofsky wants us to draw from that fact, but the way he structured the film doesn't let you escape that fact. It is unrelenting in its vision and goal and it never lets up. That's why I love it.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
rich_d said:
I also downloaded the score which (on its own) was really good. But upon seeing the film, I found the score did not at all work well with the film.
Wow! While I love the music by iteself, when combined with the images I think it is just about the most effective score in movie history.
But then again I also think it's the best movie of the year hands down and probably of the last 5 years. (and while i thought they were decent i'm not a huge fan of pi or requiem)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well for you true movie goers who did see all those films, including The Fountain ;)...my Blockbuster, AGAIN, is standing by it's March 6 release date. I agree it's rather strange that no else is reporting this. But I specifically asked the Manager today and he looked it up again to double check.
I hope it is March 6. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm only buying it on HD (or Blu-Ray), so I am hoping it's day and date. Barring that, I'll wait, but it won't be easy. I'm pretty sure it'll find it's way to high def soon.

Tim, I'd love you to be right...but I wouldn't bet money on it. There is plenty of good stuff in March to keep us happy on the movie front.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yeah, there's no way it's out March 6...just too soon without ANY official release. I'm going to go over to my Blockbuster this afternoon and give the manager a new one. ;) :)
Actually it's a good thing. February was a decent release month but March & April are brutal for Hi-Def fans.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I did check out his blog found here: Aronofsky Blog :)
concerning some dvd questions:
1. I do believe there is going to be an HD-DVD, and because it has more storage space it will have some additional extra things.
2. To be clear, there is no pre-pg-13 cut. The cut that was in the cinema was MY FINAL CUT. I made all the decisions on it (with my team of course) but creatively it was the filmmaker's vision. This is the same cut you will all see on DVD and the HD-DVD. What happened is this: originally we were given an R rating. I went back to the MPAA and with a little negotiating the film got a PG-13 rating. This was the rating I had always wanted for the film and so I made an effort to get it. But the film was in no way creatively effected. So to be clear, there was NO studio pressure it was purely my choice to try to get a PG-13 rating. Many teenagers were writing asking for me to help them out. So what you saw in the cinema and what you will see at home is the DIRECTOR'S FINAL CUT.
Thanks for listening to that rant, just wanted to make things clear.
As far as the next film. Stand by, we are close...

Mike.P

Second Unit
Great news there, Tim - I really hope it is day and date with HD-DVD, and I'm pissed I had previous arrangements and missed the Warner chat and that no one else managed to ask about the HD with them!

Even though it was my favorite (or 2nd favorite, I haven't decided) film of 2006, I will not buy it on standard def - so be on the ball, warner. Oh, who am I kidding, I'd so double dip, but I'd really prefer not to.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well I think it was Mr. Mayer who said it would be May earlier in the thread. I take no credit.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
...of course I haven't even seen this mother yet but am very excited about the upcoming HD DVD. I'm sure I'll rent it first but seeing it in HD DVD will enhance the experience. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Nice article. Only major new news is Noah, but I'll take it (between rumors of the boxing movie...or the ballet movie). Whatever the guys does, he's earned a lifetime free pass from me as a fan.
Glad he made The Fountain the way he did, with the actors he did :) Only two weeks to go for us home viewers (hi def represent ;) )

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
A little bitty heads up although I'm sure alot of us have already pre-ordered it...but DVDPacific has the HD DVD for $21.12 shipped! Even with Amazon's 10% off discount it's about $4 less. :emoji_thumbsup: Already canceled my amazon order and made this one. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just finished watching the HD DVD of The Fountain. Finally. :) Thank you DVD Pacific for sending it to me early. :cool:
After all the waiting since I missed in theaters....it lives up the HTF hype. A rarity. BUT, I just don't think I got it all. Kind of feel like I must have an IQ of 40 or something. ;) Went back and read this entire thread now and some of it makes sense....some of it still leaves me scratching my head. With Aronofsky, that is no doubt what he wants us to do.
Chris Atkins said:
Well, I'm not so sure about that. The Fountain may be an amazing film (can't wait to see it) but it's themes and messages may not be communicated in a way that everyone can understand and process. That doesn't make them morons, in my book. Just means they don't speak Aronofsky's language. :)
Whew.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

I already downloaded the score from itunes several months ago and loved it. Got to be a first for me to have a score for such a long time without seeing the film. In a weird way, I think it helped me through the moments of "ok, what just happened here". :) The score was much more rich when you combine the visuals in The Fountain.
Hugh Jackman deserved an acting nom. As good as he was in The Prestige & now this, Jackman should be considered for many great leading roles.
I really liked it but certainly want another viewing. And I will since I got the disc early. Did I mention that? :D Just poetic justice since I failed to see it in the theater.
BTW, the image & audio on the HD DVD was very good and served the film well.
A conservative 8.5/10 until I can grasp more of it. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Failed being the operative word. Give it a few days, and watch it again. It'll work even better. The weird stuff will be less weird (and will start to make sense), and the rest of it will be as beautiful as you remember.

Glad you finally saw it.

John Doran

Screenwriter
i'm dying for tuesday to come around - never saw it in the theatre, despite chuck's inerrant (for me, anyway) reviews.

the Fountain trailer is one of only 3 things i keep on my Xbox 360, and watch over and over again...

makes me want to cry every time.

tuesday's gonna be a good day.

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
I watched the dvd yesterday.
Beautifully shot; excellent music; and the way the film was done worked for me. It requires a bit of patience and some lateral thinking.
However, the pay-off at the end simply didn't work for me. It basically became a metaphysical, New Age/Eastern, fairy tale. Be prepared for Tai-Chi, bald-headed robed figures, the Lotus position, and floating bubbles....
Had the director kept the ending more ambiguous, and had he opted for a more generic, universal "answer" for the film's conclusion, this would have been a great movie....
The movie 2001: A Space Odyssey is a classic because it leaves itself open to a wide divergence of opinion and understanding. It is universal in its approach.
The Fountain, however, suffers from the director trying too hard to tell us that New Age spirituality is where its all headed. A pity really. This film had so much going for it.
It is a definite rental. However, I won't be buying the dvd, and probably won't be watching it again.
8.2/10

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
What a awful, awful, awful movie...
This is up there with Howard the Duck, Crank and Ultra Violet and a bunch of other films that are a complete waste. I would never trust this director with any money.....
Sheesh this is BAD....

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
A beautiful film, confusing but beautiful to look at. It will take me some time to digest it all and figure out what was going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks