What's new

DARLILNG LILI dvd on October 25th! (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I thought I had heard that "Darling Lili" was coming out on DVD in April. I cannot seem to find anyplace that lists it. Also my local DVD retailer who orders EVERY new DVD cannot find it as a pre order . He has a Paramount pre order release sheet with all the releases through June and it is not listed at all on the sheet.
Does anyone have any info as to what happened?
Has it disappeared like "The Reivers"?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"Li'l Abner" was also scheduled for release the same day, yet I haven't seen any pre-orders for it anywhere either.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
A simple trip to amazon.com will help you find Li'l Abner to preorder. I already have.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator

I also pre-ordered at Amazon. It's also now listed on DVD Price Search. The trick is Paramount listed it as Lil Abner not Li'l Abner. The latter will bring up the 1940 version (one of which has a cover of the 57 version but contains the 40 version).

John

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Paramount added Teacher's Pet and Three Violent People to April 19th but seems to have deleted Darling Lili. Perhaps they are putting more into the release than originally planned.

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't count on it. It would be great to get the alternate cuts of Darling Lili, the trailers, tags, and featurettes, but I'm not holding my breath for any extras - courtesy of Paramount's reputation.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
So is "Darling Lili" coming out on DVD or not? It was listed by a few web sites as coming but I haven't read anything else. Talkin' Broadway lists it as coming/planned with no date set. They also list the DVD will contain footage cut from the original release by Blake Edwards in the early 90's as a supplement.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Now listed on Amazon with a release date of October 25. Running time is listed as 107 minutes. No reference to extras.

If the Amazon listing is accurate (not always the case), I assume that the DVD version is Edwards' director's cut, not the original (longer) version. Side note: both versions were presented at the Anthology Film Archives in NYC last May.

Interesting cover art, which makes the film look like a wartime melodrama. No indication that the film is a musical (with many comedic elements).

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
When Darling Lili was originally supposed to be released to Vid in 1992, Paramount did new cover art that was really nice drawings (Pioneer Laserdisc got copies of the art). The new art doesn't look like a Julie Andrews musical at all.
The original plan was to have the cut footage as an extra feature, but nothing is mentioned for the new disc.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
the Roadshow edition IS the theatrical edition. I never saw it cut in theaters, - even when it was reissued as a double feature with Paint Your Wagon(cut version of that film).
The original plan was to release the short directors cut. along with a extras section with the cut scenes. I think after a few years that complete control of the film went to Blake Edwards and he only wanted the cut version released.
Is this version in STEReo ??

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I hope so..i have never seen the film in stereo, in either version.
But (sigh) I also think that the original "long" version is superior to Blake's odd new cut.
I'm pretty disgusted that a film can exist in one form for decades,
and then tampered with.
But this happened with Star Wars, too....i guess i will get used to this.

No, but the Full Roadshow version (130+ mins) turns up on cable in the UK ;) ;) The downside is that it is not screened in its Panavision ratio :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks