Darkening a bright room

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John_Q*, Aug 27, 2003.

1. John_Q*

John_Q* Extra

Hi,
    I'm having an issue with building a HT room in a house I'm renting. The only room I can use for HT purposes is the living room, and it's unfortunately very large and bright.

Seating is up to 14' away from the TV (non-negotible with the female), which is a problem. The only setup I can afford that will be a reasonable size is a front projector.

Like I mentioned before, the room is very light. In the room are two windows: one single and one double. In the adjoining room is a bay window that is only a 30 degree angle off of the screen area (and has a direct view). The bay window faces east, so sun is a big issue in the morning - it shines directly on the screen.

Also, my landlord is very particular about what I can and cannot do to the house. Mostly, it's safe to assume that I'm not allowed to make any changes.

What I need to do is find a reasonable way to darken the room enough that a front projector will provide a pleasing experience at all hours of the day. I need to be able to do this for a fairly low cost, without making any large modifications to the house, is easy and convenient to use, and doesn't make the room ugly (i.e., must still pass the girlfriend test).

Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like you need Blackout shades. They pull down just like a projector screen, and block out all incoming light from the window. They are generally white, and can easily be hidden behind curtains at the top of the window (which is what I do in my living room). You can get them as wide as 79" from Home Depot, and they are very easy to install.

3. Pam W

Pam W Stunt Coordinator

You can also get blackout liner for draperies. Try JC Penney or Sears for ready mades. Or you can buy the fabric and have them sewn as liners into draperies. most rental places allow "white" draperies to show. Since the linings are white, it would work.

pam

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Tape up some foil on the windows, ugly as hell from the outside, damn dark inside![​IMG]