What's new

Dark Shadows: The Beginning (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We completed episodes 210-211 last night. We watched #211 with original commercials. I don't know if I mentioned it here or elsewhere, but in any event I was mistaken about the numbering of the kinescoped episode for the appearance of Barnabas. That one I believe occurs in #212, not #211. Oddly (to me at least), the rolling credits for #211 were kinescoped, although the episode proper was not. Such a wonderful point in the series, though!

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Scott,

I'm halfway through Disc 3 ending with episode 201 and agree with you that the manslaughter story had a nice wrap-up. The buildup to the showdown at Collinwood was very good, and I liked how Burke made his decisions based on what Roger and Liz were going to do. Basically, it felt to right to me.

The introduction of Willie Loomis surprised me - mainly because it wasn't John Karlen! This actor plays a smarmier Willie. I think the writers had originally intended the character to basically be Renfield to Barnabas' Dracula. I'm glad they had a change of heart. as I prefer Karlen's jittery Willie. I felt Karlen made the role his own, with more depth than just being Renfield.

Oh, and a minor point - I like it when one of the actors holds up the slate with the Episode Date and Number.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

George,

I too like it when actors hold up the slate -- they are often very out-of-character (smiling, joking, etc.). Unfortunately, those slates don't continue through The Original Series, although I wish they had.

We watched episodes 212-213 tonight. And one more note on the kinescoped episode I mentioned above-- #211 with original commercials is not kinescoped, yet #211 without commercials is kinescoped. (I checked tonight, as my memory of #211 was bothering me.) And #212 is not either, upon watching it tonight. I thought I had remembered the unlocking of Barnabas to be a kinescope.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
George,

I neglected to mention that we began the previous evening watching the Introduction that begins Dark Shadows: The Original Series. It's a bit disjointed, but it's still fun to relive some of the clips. And the Laura Collins story line is quite rushed, which is a bit unfortunate. All the more reason to watch Dark Shadows: The Beginning in its entirety.

We had quite a nice time watching six or seven episodes yesterday afternoon. We rewatched #213, and then completed episodes 214-219. Let me know when you've caught up -- there is some wonderful material in these episodes to discuss. :)

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Scott,

You've really jumped ahead of me. I'm more than a disc behind, but disc 4 will thankfully be coming quickly for me. In the meantime, I can now comment on a few of your previous posts.

Originally Posted by Ockeghem

We watched episodes 201-205 last night. Did I mention that I really love the character of Jason McGuire? ;) I have to say that Willie I (James Hall) still doesn't impress me too much. I'd still like to know why he was replaced after only about four or five episodes. He was quite creepy, and way beyond pushy toward Maggie, Victoria, and (especially) Carolyn. It was very interesting to see how Elizabeth, whom up to this point had done everything Jason had asked of her, finally said enough once she learned that her daughter's well-being was being threatened. That was the last straw, and as a result, Willie I was pretty much shown the door.

I like Jason too. I liked his hypocritical comments about Mrs. Johnson's cooking. Also, he had a great reaction when he realized blackmailing Liz wasn't going to work regarding the Willie/Carolyn episode.

About James Hall's early exit, I'm curious about that too, but it's not the first time they've done that. What was the deal with the original Sam Evans? With Matthew Morgan, I could probably guess: once they decided he was going to be the villain, they wanted a more menacing presence.

Episode #205 was very special for me. If you had asked me which Dark Shadows character had first uttered the name of Barnabas Collins, I would not have known. That was quite surprising to me.

Oddly, this didn't surprise me. David was always in the thick of the supernatural things that were going on. I think I would have been more surprised if it were Carolyn. And boy, did they telegraph the fact that Barnabas was looming, with the heartbeat and the eyes. It's almost as if they were the telling the audience "Yeah, it seems like we've reverted back to the old format, but don't worry, some spooky stuff is coming". By the way, the earliest sighting I had on Barnabas' portrait was in the credits for the previous episode.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
George,

Agreed. Jason is usually in control of most things. But when it came to Carolyn and Mrs. Stoddard, he knew he couldn't win. Also, when Willie I botched it up for him with his eye toward Victoria and Carolyn, Jason's hands were pretty much tied. He said as much in a subsequent episode, showing a bit of anger toward Willie for what he had done to mess up the larger picture.

I don't know what the deal was with Sam I (or Matthew I). I didn't mind the actor who played Sam I -- he was quite rough around the edges, but I thought that given what we know of him later, this matched up pretty well with where they were going with the character.

"By the way, the earliest sighting I had on Barnabas' portrait was in the credits for the previous episode."

I will have to look for the portrait in the credits. I'm certain I missed that. I do remember seeing the mirror there for a few episodes before the portrait appeared, however.

Happy viewing!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
George,

We watched episodes 220-221 last night, ending around midnight. The breeze was coming in through our basement windows, and the cutting chill was one not unlike that of a charnel house. {Sorry -- I got caught in my Chopinesque mindset there for a moment. ;)}

Willie is just now becoming accustomed to his new place of residence, and Maggie and Joe take part in an act of kindness regarding Barnabas' most cherished cane. :)

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
I finished the final disc of DARK SHADOWS: THE BEGINNING. John Karlen comes in to play Willie Loomis just in time to get decked by Burke Devlin. Karlen plays Willie as less of a creep and more of a jerk in his very brief pre-Barnabas mode - it's an important distinction

Other notes: Burke is a confused man right now. He considers Liz his enemy but wants to help her. OK.

It was also nice to see the Caretaker again. I don't recall now, but was the cemetary called Eagle Hill during the Laura storyline?

The extras were plentiful: and yes, I couldn't resist and watched the episode #211. I don't know why MPI put this here. I guess they figured most people had already watched the Original sets. I remember when that first set came out, and some were critical that MPI started at Barnabas instead of the very beginning. I could see both sides of the argument, but I myself am glad I held out and decided to watch from the beginning. It was fun seeing the evolution of the show, and I think I have a greater appreciation for the characters of Victoria Winters, Roger, David, Carolyn & even Liz than I did before, as I felt their characters were richer in this early period.

But now it's Barnabas time - the ultimate character on DS - and onto the Golden Age of the show.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by GeorgeJA

Other notes: Burke is a confused man right now. He considers Liz his enemy but wants to help her. OK.

It was also nice to see the Caretaker again. I don't recall now, but was the cemetary called Eagle Hill during the Laura storyline?

The extras were plentiful: and yes, I couldn't resist and watched the episode #211. I don't know why MPI put this here. I guess they figured most people had already watched the Original sets. I remember when that first set came out, and some were critical that MPI started at Barnabas instead of the very beginning. I could see both sides of the argument, but I myself am glad I held out and decided to watch from the beginning. It was fun seeing the evolution of the show, and I think I have a greater appreciation for the characters of Victoria Winters, Roger, David, Carolyn & even Liz than I did before, as I felt their characters were richer in this early period.

But now it's Barnabas time - the ultimate character on DS - and onto the Golden Age of the show.

George,

I was kind of hoping that Willie I had stayed on long enough to be the one who got decked by Burke. Poor Willie II -- he didn't even do anything to either Carolynn or Victoria! ;)

I think Burke buried the hatchet once he forced Roger to confess to the manslaughter business. Burke even went so far in one episode as to declare a truce (although he didn't necessarily use that specific wording).

I believe Eagle Hill was mentioned once before, but I don't recall how early on that was in the series.

Yes, the characters were very rich in the first season. I think some of this has to do with b&w (which carries over for a time after the introduction of Barnabas). And I too was a bit curious about why #211 is here. I think it would have made more sense to put both versions of #211 on The Original Series, but perhaps MPI had other marketing ideas. It's a bit awkward moving from disc 1 of one set (The Original Series, #210) back to disc 4 of another (The Beginning, #211), which is what one must do if they want to watch #211 with original commercials. Otherwise, there isn't too much of a problem. :)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
NOTE TO THE REGULAR PATRONS AND CONTRIBUTORS OF THIS THREAD: On the HTF Feedback Forum I mentioned that this thread had gotten a bit out of control in discussing and in some cases SPOILING major plot points and revelations from Dark Shadows DVDs that are well beyond THE BEGINNING episodes for which this thread was intended. Adam, one of HTF's owners, suggested I come in here and politely request that someone here start a NEW thread along the lines of "General DARK SHADOWS Discussion (with SPOILERS)." He said either he or a moderator would be happy to move all the non-relevant posts over to the new thread. So that is what I am doing with this post, sending a polite request. :) Or I can start the new thread if nobody else wants to, but I wanted to make sure that everyone here knows about it. Thank you.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Point-Blank,

I think your request is reasonable, and I appreciate the tact and courtesy shown in the request. :) Sorry we got off track -- I honestly didn't even realize we were doing it. I certainly can understand your concern.

I think having a moderator move all of the non-Dark Shadows: The Beginning posts to a new thread would be great. :)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks Scott. Adam Gregorich, one of the site's owners has written to me that he is ready to move posts over to the new thread that I created today, but he said he knows virtually nothing about the show and could use some help in determining where exactly the thread began to substantially deviate from discussing THE BEGINNING DVDs. Do you think you could help him track it down or is there anyone who has posted/followed this thread that can help? I would gladly help him, but I am afraid to delve too deeply into this thread for fear I may have something spoiled. I am still in the relatively early stages of watching the series. Thanks!:)

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Walker,

I'm also sorry for letting this thread get out of hand. I see you already started the new thread and I will start posting there. I went back and looked at the old posts, and while there's a bit of overlap between the beginning series and the regular one, I would suggest the best starting point for Adam to move to the new thread would be post #110 and beyond.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the show!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Point-Blank and Adam,

Thanks. :)

I was online last night, but with dial-up from home, I couldn't post anything.

Anyway, anything from episodes 1-211 are fair game in this thread, as these are the episodes that are included on Dark Shadows: The Beginning (Collections 1-6). Beginning with Dark Shadows: The Original Series (Collections 1-26), episodes 211-1225 are covered.

But if you decide to take George's suggestion above, that's certainly fine with me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks