What's new

Dark Shadows: The Beginning Disc Problems (1 Viewer)

DrzSF

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Ziegler
Here's what I think: Who ever authored this for the DVD forgot to replace the kinescope last scene with the Live Feed version when they were stitching back in the original commercials from the kinescope copy. The same person who forgot to turn the stereo mode on when they transferred DS Music Videos for the Bloopers & Treasures release I suspect. Is anyone else noticing these things beside me?

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura
I can't add much to this, other than from what I could gather, the LiveFeed restoration was going to be included as an **extra** on the disc, rather than as a part of the standard presentation.

However, since I don't have a copy of the set, I have to say that I don't know if that's what actually happened... anyone know for certain??

-Kevin
LiveFeed Video Imaging

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Episode 211 is included on Disc 4 as a special feature. It follows the additional footage included for episode 191. By standard presentation, do you mean episodes presented as consecutively-ordered on the discs? The 'regular' episodes end with no. 209 and then the special features are included after that. (Episode 211--non-restored--is furnished on The Dark Shadows DVD Collection 1.) I don't know if this is helpful or not.

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura
Well, in connection with last year's "Dark Shadows Festival", I found this:

VIDEO SCREENINGS
On Friday evening, BARNABAS UNBOUND includes original DARK SHADOWS
episodes 209 and 211, which will be screened with original 1967
commercials. Additionally, episode 211 (the debut of Jonathan Frid as
Barnabas Collins) has been restored from the videotape master, which
hasn't been seen in 40 years. (A filmed kinescope copy has been
utilized since then.)

Given that information, it sounds as though there may have been some problem with the last portion of the recovered videotape master for episode 211, and that the LiveFeed clip that I did was substituted for the final few minutes of the show.

That would also explain the technical image differences noted in the previous posts-- although LiveFeed is a marvelous restoration process, nothing beats an actual videotape! :)

-Kevin

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^
Kevin,

Thanks. That info. is very helpful! :yes:

Now I have the urge to watch all of the iterations of episode 211 that I have (VHS tape, DVD, etc.) at my disposal.

BTW, while watching episode 191 (additional footage), I had this feeling that I had seen the 'new' footage before. I'm going to have to compare this footage as well with what I have on my VHS copy. If I recall correctly from some of the bonus material I've read about and watched over the years, this segment (w/Laura, David, and Victoria) is the ambitious one in which several cameras (more than usual) were used.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I got my set last night. I'm glad to have finished this series (again). Hopefully this is the last time that I have to purchase it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^
I've ordered my Blue-Ray sets this morning.

Just kidding. ;)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ok, I watched the restored Barnabas arrival episode last night and I must say I'm pretty impressed. It looked really, really good. How did they do this? Did they finally find the original master tape?

I did notice that the sound for the final segment was from the kinescope version of the episode, but the rest of the episode looked just like a master tape version. Does anyone have any information on how this was accomplished? If they could do this with the other kinescope episodes that would be fantastic.

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura

Brian:

See my earlier post in the thread (#64) -- I think that explains what you're seeing.

I wish I'd known that was what they were going to do-- I would have matched the sources a little better.

-Kevin
LiveFeed Video Imaging

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Just a quick comment regarding kinescopes. I actually love the 'feel' (and overall atmosphere conveyed) of Dark Shadows kinescoped episodes. My daughter loves them as well. As she once said to me, b&w Shadows is far more creepier than color episodes, and kinescoped episodes are "double creepy"--LOL. As funny as that sounds, I do see her point, and agree with it. But I also understand the desire of some to want non-kinescoped episodes.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, Darkshadowsfestival.com continues to sell the 16mm Dark Shadows episode kinescope negatives. I have a couple of these in mind, and may spring for them as I am quite interested in kinescopes both historically and as a collector.

Dark Shadows Festival

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Agreed, it does look exceptional. Did you happen to watch any of the bonus features? I'd be interested to hear what you thought of the additional footage of episode 191. I haven't yet done a comparison (I will eventually do this); I believe I've seen this footage somewhere before, although I cannot recall where I may have seen it. I plan on checking my VHS copy tonight.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Thanks Kevin.

That explains it. They did find the original master tape. Interesting. If they found this, could it be possible that they could find the lost episode? That would be great.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
OK, I've seen the restored #211 and it's definitely the version I saw last summer, with Kevin's LiveFeed restoration of Jonathan Frid's debut. As far as I'm concerned, the restored finale as good as the rest of the original videotape in quality- thanks, Kevin! For those who doubted the quality of Kevin's process, compare the restored episode to the old kinescope, also see the restored Sullivan shows with Elvis on DVD!

Vaudegal

Auditioning
Real Name
Shelly
Actually, I have a slightly different issue. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the DVD collection "Dark Shadows: The Beginning" and the collection entitled "Dark Shadows DVD Collection"?

Both are advertised on Amazon.com. They appear to be separate collections of the entire series. I can't find any information that distinguishes them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Actually, it is pretty simple to differentiate them, if you know about the way the show was released. The "Dark Shadows DVD Collection" starts at episode 210, which is when the show's most popular character, Barnabas Collins, was introduced. Once the Barnabas episodes were completed, the company that put those DVDs out decided to release the show's actual beginning, meaning the pre-Barnabas episodes. These are the ones you get in the "Dark Shadows: The Beginning" sets.

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks
We're also treated to the opening slates in "The Beginning" series, some of which are unusual and quite charming. Alexandra Moltke is seen peeping out from behind the chalkboard and smiling during the opening slating of one episode. 60 seconds later she's crying out in terror as Victoria, begging for someone to release her from a locked room in the abandoned part of the Collinwood mansion.

I'm truly sorry that MPI didn't include these opening slates throughout the entire series. I'd love to see more of them, as well as more of the voiceover promos that are frequently heard during the end credits on "The Beginning" series.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I love those voiceover promos. I'm getting a kick out of hearing the announcer promote the premiere of The Invaders in Dec '66-Jan '67.

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

On an episode viewed a few days ago, the announcer reminded me to be sure to watch Batman, tonight, in color! I love this time capsule that MPI is treating us to.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have only skimmed this thread. I have the sets with barnabas. If I buy these beginning sets now from Amazon, has the problem been corrected?

wh5916

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Hicks

The problem with endings being cut off in the first set was quickly remedied by MPI Home Video...and since they chose to offer "The Beginning" set by subscription only for the first year or so, only those who purchased these by subscription would have been affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks