Dark mode/skin for Mobile site?

Discussion in 'Forum Help and Feedback' started by ManW_TheUncool, Mar 28, 2013.

1. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    This is just a nice-to-have that may or may not be easy to do, but can we at some point have an optional dark mode/skin for the mobile site? I ask mainly because I (and probably many others) could probably use help saving a bit of battery life on my mobile device w/ a dark mode unless I'm mistaken. Of course, I'm assuming I (and many others) do plan on spending a fair bit of time using the mobile site to make that worthwhile. :DCheers! _Man_

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Makes sense. Because the current mobile skin is pretty functional, I can say that we probably aren't going to make any changes to it for at least the next one-two months while we get everything here squared away.

It probably makes sense to look at everything members want to see different on the existing skin so we can make a series of enhancements at once. I have heard darker and a way to get directly to the last page of a topic (thread).

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    LCD screens, nope. Amoled, maybe. Biggest benefit from turning down your overall screen brightness.
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/38140/does-a-black-screen-save-battery-on-an-iphone-4
    http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/7lpin/stupid_question_does_a_black_screen_save_on/?sort=new

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yeah, it'll depend on the display tech. Samsung's power-savings settings seem to at least imply that it would save power on their flagship Android phones, which do use Amoled tech.For instance, there's one such Samsung setting that dials down bright backgrounds on certain apps like the web browser and email client for that reason -- I don't use it since it tends to render web pages, emails, documents, etc. too unpleasant on the eyes due to how it works. For a nicely simple mobile skin like this, I imagine it's probably not too hard to come up w/ one or two good alternative skins using basic stylesheet changes assuming the mobile site was designed/built w/ such interchangeability in mind. And yeah, even if it doesn't save power, some/many could still benefit from alternate options though such other benefits probably won't be as definitive and readily quantifiable... _Man_