What's new

DARK CITY - needs a new SE DVD edition w/ "director's cut" option (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mike, that's a really cool testimony. When I heard on the commentary that the VO wasn't supposed to be there, I played it back without it and thought it played really well, much better than with the VO. Of course I had already seen it several times with the VO so I can't really divest myself of that initial experience.

You on the other hand saw it w/o the VO from the beginning and it's great to hear your perspective!

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
i agree that the first part of the voice over is innapropriat considering the nature of the film. However, I do enjoy the visuals under it, AND think that the VO from the point where Sutherland says "my name is Dr. Daniel Paul Schraber...." should be left in. Mentions beytraying his own kind. Which is mysterious but not revealing, for his character, anyway.

Just some thoughts.

I'd be up for double dipping on this title. i enjoy the film enough to be swayed by even minute improvments.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

The visuals are absolutely an integral part of the movie and from what I understand were always meant to be included. But instead of the VO it was just the haunting score, camera pans down from the stars to the city, and then you see a man step from the shadows and look at his watch, the whole city falls asleep, but the man is unaffected.

You may or may not need that last "My name is Daniel Paul Schreber..." line. It might work if you left just that part in (it would be intriguing) but I think the fact that everything else stops and he continues is evidence enough of that.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
maybe you can mute the centre channel where the voice comes out, then u will have the score.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Unless there's some sort of sequel activity (i.e. The Mask), I can guarantee you that New Line isn't going to revisit titles, particularly cult ones like this (I love the movie myself).

Jeannette Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I can't think of anything they could do to this DVD to make me want to buy it again. The current one is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned.

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
Nothing up with the current release, sure theres always room for improvement. More extras are usually wasted on me, as all i want is the uncut movie in OAR with great video and sound, and that's pretty much what we already have. Some people might also complain about it being in a snapper case, but i've come to prefer them in many ways, for one i've never had a dvd arrive of the spindle on a snapper, they are always on the spindle, the snapper's spindle design is the best there is. Sure the cases are a little more prone to damage, but as long as u dont throw your DVDs about like a moron, your not gonna have any trouble. ALL HAIL THE SNAPPER. I've noticed that no one uses snapper for new releases anymore, would anyone like to campaign with me for there return, if theres enough interest, i'll set up a site.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I would purchase a special edition of this great film as long as it contains a DTS track. The region 2 disc has a DTS track and also there was a DTS laserdisc release of it as well.

We don't need the opening voiceover eliminated as this would alter the film from the way it was presented in the theater.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
But it's the way the *director* wanted it. The suits made him add it because they thought audiences "wouldn't get it" quickly enough (as if movies had to have the payoff within a few minutes).

And have you tried it without the VO? It's actually a film noir/mystery theme...which works very very well.

I'm all for having 2 soundtracks, one with the VO and one without to preserve the theatrical experience. But everyone I've showed it to w/o the VO (then at the end we go back and I play the intro w/ the VO) agree that it works way better without it.

Wish there was a way I could mute my center channel only...

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I must be a real dope because the first time I watched it, I listened to the voice over and STILL had no idea what the hell was going on for most of the film :b

Great film at any rate.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

So it is anamorphic? DVD Empire's site says that it isn't which is why I haven't picked it up.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
This movie is a steal. I have little to no complaints about the current DVD and a new SE wouldn't add enough to get me to pay more than what a I paid to get it originally (about $6.00). Truly a great disc, especially at the current rock-bottom price.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just rewatched this movie again, this time critically viewing it for PQ. I do see quite a bit of edge enhancement, as well as blurriness or softness (Panny RP91 to ISF'd 47" HDTV).

This DVD is definitely very good for the time it was released (I think the DVD came out in 1998) but that modern compression techniques would yield a much better picture, especially since this movie is so dark.

And a DTS track would be nice since this has a stellar soundtrack (and of course, a version w/o the beginning voiceover as I had discussed earlier)...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
But to be clear: it is a decent DVD, great considering it was a 1998 DVD, and the most important thing is the movie. Since there is no word of any re-release coming up, go ahead and pick up this DVD since it can be had for under $10 pretty much everywhere (and BB has occasionally put it in the $5.99 bin)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Alright I'm sold...now where to pick it up the cheapest, BB? The online price seems to be around $7 and change.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
As a follow up to my post above, I FINALLY picked this up for $5.99 at BB the other day and watched it last night. WOW! Now I know why people like this film so much. I will admit, my expectations were high due to all that I have read, but I was still blown away by it. Not only was the film an excellent sci-fi/fil noir/whodunnit, but I found the DVD to be quite good even by today's standards. Yeah, there were some scenes that seemed a little bit soft (seemingly the ones with Jennifer Connelly in them), but for the most part, I thought it looked great given the dark lighting. I also thought that the DD 5.1 soundtrack was excellent. Definitely a big thumbs up...I will watch this one again and again and will recommend it to friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks