What's new

Dancing with the Stars - season 2 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I think the public voting was a backlash to Stacy being somewhat of a ringer when it comes to dancing while Rice was a pure amateur dancing in this contest. In other words, Rice connected with the television audience for being a former macho football star competing out of his element against Stacy, who was viewed as a trained dancer. Without question, Stacy is a better dancer than Jerry and very few will argue that point.

Hell, I think Drew is a ringer too, but the female vote helped him, but probably hurt Stacy.

Crawdaddy

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I think Jerry was helped out by getting a lot of the vote from Sports fans that might've been watching. In other words, I think he got a lot of fan support for being Jerry F'n Rice!

Stacy on the otherhand was not so lucky. The WWE was more than happy to show her videos and such on Raw on Monday Nights, but they didn't go out of their way to encourage their fans to vote for her, I'm sure in part because UPN likely wouldn't want WWE telling people to go to ABC.com...not that the results would've been different if they had promoted her more, but Stacy didn't get nearly as many votes from wrestling fans based on her being a wrestler as Jerry likely did from mainstream sports fans.

Stacy may not have won this contest but she probably will gain quite a bit, maybe the most of any contestant. Her wrestling career is likely coming to a close. I'm sure she will be happy to be off the road. An interesting story about her that I read recently was that in 2002 because she had to pay her own road expenses, she actually lost money working for World Wrestling Entertainment. Safe to say she won't have that problem in the future.

Edit: Least anyone think I made a mistake, that should not read like Raw is on UPN, its on Spiketv. I used UPN instead of spike to suggest that a network might not be happy because I believe the results show of Dancing with the Stars went up against WWE Smackdown and thus I don't know that UPN would want WWE directing fans towards a show that may because of the presence of Stacy take a few viewers away from Smackdown.

Edit 2: This is what happens when typing a post while exhausted, Raw is on USA Network not Spiketv as this is past October 2005.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Jerry Rice's "I've already won" speech is why a lot of people voted for him. People like to root for underdogs. Even the studio audience loved Jerry Rice.

Sean*O

Second Unit
I thought that WWE was no longer on Spike TV, and had returned to USA network?

Anyways, Stacy got ripped off IMO. But, that's the way the vote went.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I feel completly ripped-off by watching this season if not for enjoying some of the dancers. What gripes me is the freaking public vote. There's no way in hell that Jerry is anywhere close to a 2nd place dancer!!! One could make a strong case for either Stacy or Drew as being 1st or 2nd, but no way should Jerry be even in 3rd place! The ranking should've gone:

1. Drew & Cheryl
2. Stacy & Tony
3. Lisa & Louis
4. Jerry & Anna

Based on their talent, I don't see much of an argument there with the exception for maybe the 1 & 2 slots. Lisa WAY outdanced from her performances anything Jerry could even dream of. She too was excellent from a technical stand point. Plus, Lisa was an older dancer out there. On a side note, not having to do with technical talent, she looks DARN HOT still and I loved her matching outfits with Stacy (by accident?).

Anyway, while I enjoyed watching it as a whole, I can't say I will again due to the stupid outcome and public voting of Master P and Jerry. There have been more than a few letters, 2 of which were in T.V. Guide saying basically the show is a fraud and just a popularity contest. I would have to agree for the most part, otherwise if you are judging from the dance/technical aspect as you would in REAL LIFE events, there is no way you would get that outcome. Oh well, it was fairly fun to watch but I don't think I will again.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Okay, folks...now that the second season of DWTS is over...honestly--how many of you could have predicted--either at the beginning of the run, or midway through--that Jerry would make the final two? ;)

Did Stacy get "robbed", as far as not making the final two? IMHO, no--her and Tony's "lackadaisical" freestyle routine killed any chance they had of winning it all, let alone at least making the final two. "Lackadaisical", in that they clearly could have come up with a much more exciting routine; I was clearly expecting them to come out with a mind-blowing dance, and was very disappointed to see them perform anything but such. To be honest, I didn't pick up my phone and/or mouse and put in any votes but if I had, I would have split my votes between Drew and Jerry.

Notwithstanding the fact that Drew's performance did merit winning the prize, I think the fact that his wife is pregnant probably helped garner him a few more votes...IMHO. I mean, how many more times did the camera focus on her (and big bro Nick), compared to those who were there in support of whoever it was they were rooting for? Granted that some of the contestants may not have had supporters in the audience, but c'mon--how many times do we need to see shots of Drew's wife and Nick? IIRC--we didn't get to see hardly any shots of Jerry's wife until the last few episodes.

It's a good thing Drew won clearly on merit...otherwise I guarantee that the masses would be screaming conspiracy; I dunno about you folks but after the first few episodes, I got the feeling that the show was trying to "steer" folks toward supporting/rooting for Drew.

RichardK

Second Unit
Yes, Stacy's last dance may have been 'lackadaisical' but the pair still scored 86. Drew and Cheryl scored 87 and Jerry&Anna scored 80. If Stacy would have come out with an 82 or even an 80, putting her dancing down to Jerry's level and leaving a poor final impression, then i understand what your point is. That didnt happen. Yes, she was clearly robbed. Stacy & Drew were neck and neck throughout the competition..with Drew given the edge because of his pseudo popularity and cheesiness over Stacy's unrelenting HOTNESS, which im sure did not sit well with the female voters. In the end Drew&Cheryl would have won it anyways, but the final announcement would have been MUCH MORE dramatic if it came down to the two TRULY deserving pairs: Stacy/Tony & Drew/Cheryl. If America would have voted Jerry as the winner...then what would the tune be?

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Sure, Stacy had an overall higher judges' score than Jerry did; what I was trying to get at was that (and I probably didn't say it right)--overall final score notwithstanding--Stacy's freestyle was definitely lacking, given what was (and should have been) expected of her...even when compared to Jerry's freestyle. The judges' scores on Stacy's and Jerry's freestyle portion revealed as much--and, as much as I would have liked Stacy to win it all, I felt that the scores were right on as far as Stacy scoring lower than Jerry did.

Bottom line--like I said, if Stacy had any chance of winning it all, her freestyle definitely didn't help improve her chances...and IMHO it definitely killed her shot at coming out on top. I think deep down inside she knew it too, based on the look on her face even before she was announced as being eliminated.

How's this for a somewhat-rhetorical question--if it came down to Jerry and Stacy...who do you think would (as opposed to "should", since I think we all know the answer to that) have won it all?

RichardK

Second Unit

assuming everyone agrees that whoever was in 3rd was in their 'rightful' position, I suppose Jerry would have won. Stacy's freestyle or her overall dancing ability would not be what she was judge upon and definitely for Jerry either. America would have loved to vote Jerry as the winner. I would have understood that, that result(Jerry winning) was very likely close to happening based on the actual events.

My problem was that I was viewing Drew & Stacy as the best two pairs, I was also expecting America to vote them as such based on that merit alone. Clearly I was wrong and shouldnt have even believed that in the first place....we are talking about people who are actually voting in these things anyway... ;)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I actually thought that Jerry's last two performances that he gave were his best all season. That helped him a lot. Stacy's wasn't up to what she was capable of and I think the end results were not just about fan votes (which I am sure that they played a huge part) it was also about the last couple of dances they all had. Jerry and Anna gave their best performance, Drew and Cheryl didn't let anyone down and Stacy and Tony didn't live up to what they were capable of doing.

So personally, while disappointed, I wasn't suprised that Jerry and Anna beat out Stacy and Tony.

I look forward to the next season. It was one of those great times that you get in life that were you can set back with your child and enjoy television together.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor

I second that! My 4-year old daughter was rooting for Stacy throughout the entire season; on top of that, she'd start dancing in front of the screen almost every time it was Stacy's turn to perform!

Okay, I'm posting more than I should, given that the season is over, but...here is my totally farfetched anti-Stacy conspiracy theory--essentially it's a different take on the same network conspiracy theory that was bandied about last season. Hear me out--Stacy works for a company whose shows are broadcast on non-Disney owned networks (soon-to-be-gone UPN, and USA); now surely ABC wouldn't want someone who's seen on a competing non-Disney-owned network winning the contest on THEIR network show, a la John O'Hurley from NBC. OTOH--both Jerry and Drew have indirect ties to ABC; Jerry, because he used to be in the NFL, whose games are televised on--among other networks, conveniently enough--ABC (or more accurately, WAS televised) and ESPN (mentioned because it and ABC are owned by Disney, I believe). Drew, because he's related to big brother Nick, who had a (with soon-to-be ex Jessica) short variety show on ABC, and was a guest analyst for a day on ESPN, IIRC.

Okay, my theory is really farfetched, but you gotta admit it's an interesting read, nonetheless. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks