What's new

Dances with Wolves - Disc 'Rot'? (1 Viewer)

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
I've just attempted to watch my copy of the original R1 Dances with Wolves DVD (1998, single disc, dual-layered, THX certified, Dolby Digital).

All was OK until about 1hr 30 minutes into the movie, when it started skipping, freezing, and after a couple of minutes, froze completely. (so much for modern technology - I'd been looking forward to watching this movie all week :frowning: )

I'm guessing the problems started around the layer change. I've only played this disc once, when I first purchased it, and so it's in pristine condition - no scratches or dust/dirt.

I've read about DVD's deteriorating over time due to faulty manufacturing. Are there any known problems with this DVD?

If it is a manufacturing defect, and bearing in mind I live in the UK, does anyone have any suggestions about how I could get my DVD replaced free of charge/who I could contact? Would my complaint be with Orion Home Video, or Image Entertainment (who are mentioned as distributors on the disc)?

Many thanks in advance.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It would be with Image, but they couldn't replace it even if they wanted to, as they no longer hold the license on the film

MGM will be issuing the Director's cut in a few months anyway

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There is no reason why Image couldn't replace defective product even if they don't hold the rights to the distribution anymore, but it would assume they had nondefective stock, which would be the biggest issue.

I hardly see that being forced to buy a reissue of a different cut of the film is an acceptable situation. I'll be mighty pissed if my copy is unplayable and I can't get a replacement.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
try it on another player, dvd-rom or even xbox. could be your player...having a conflict with that disc...even though it plays other dvds without error. delamination could be occuring. my copy was not pressed at WAMO....which is a good thing!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, trust me. They either had to destroy remaining stock or they blew it out the door at super discount (much more likely)

I know of a certain company that licenses titles whose licenses have expired on some desireable product that has boxes and boxes of discs they can't do anything with other than store. (no, I'm not saying who this is)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Warner Advanced Media Organization

Many of the infamous titles that have "rotted" were pressed at WAMO

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
try it on another player, dvd-rom or even xbox. could be your player
Thanks for the advice, Todd. I have tried it on another player (different make) but unfortunately the problem is even worse, with severe pixellation, and the player finally locking up.

Will see where I get with Image. Will let you know how I get on.

I would recommend that other members of HTF with a WAMO version of this disc make sure that their copies still play OK after the layer transition.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I know of a certain company that licenses titles whose licenses have expired on some desireable product that has boxes and boxes of discs they can't do anything with other than store. (no, I'm not saying who this is)
Sounds like its time for a little third party eBay action...

--Ian

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think that if media is failing due to a manufacturing defect that it should be replaced, period. I don't care who has to replace it, but WAMO would be the ones on the line for this one.

For those of us with large collections, having them potentially disintegrate, especially on high value titles, is not a good situation, and quite frankly, if the manufacturers are not going to accept responsibility for faulty product, it is time the media gets on their case big time.

As for the studios, they had better realise that if their discs are prone to failure, that they are going to lose a lot of support from those of us who would otherwise be behind efforts to thwart copying of digital media. I can't afford to lose the thousands I have invested to to circumstances that originated at the manufacturers.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Actually WAMO is good about replacing defective discs. Last year my copy of a Bridge Too Far went bad and WAMO promptly replaced it for free. I did have to pay for sending the old disc for exchange but I think they don't require the case, which would save shipping costs. I guess the only problem would be if there are no copies available if it is an OOP disc. Here was the contact information I used last year if interested.

Pierre E. Loubet
Vice President, Sales
Advanced Media
Warner Media Services
PH 818-638-0401
Fax 818-638-0267

[email protected]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's not going to be fixed, it can't be. Manufacturing mistakes happen, and without microscopically examining each disc you just can't spot it in manufacture

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
My fear is that it may actually get worse with HD-DVD as the optical disc technology is pushed more to its limits. Tighter manufacturing tolerances and thinner protective coatings may make them even more tempermental. I certainly hope this doesn't happen.

Declan

Second Unit
Jesus this is werid.......... i'm only after (literly 20mins ago) watching Dances With Wolves. It was the DTS version though. Not a problem with it at all. Havent watched it since i bought it, which is around 2 1/2 years ago.

Must have been DTS themselves who mastered this version. Compared to the Dolby Digital one.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Who mastered it has nothing to do with it, and DTS would have only compressed the sound

Both versions were pressed at WAMO

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I contacted one of the more prominent distributors about this, and as Jeff said, they can't/won't replace OOP discs, defective or not.

This does not bode well for collectors at all, especially those with rare or hard to replace titles. The only time I would even bother to check on the condition of many titles is after someone reports a problem, but I have a good number of titles that are now OOP.

Time to abandon the format altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks