What's new

Damn AVM-20. Brand new and allready jacking up (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
The weirdest thing happened today with my AVM-20. I was trying to put the thing in DD-EX from auto to ON. First of all, I can't get it out of auto. When I turn the knob, it just goes back to the volume. I swear this is how I switched to auto in the first place a couple days ago.

Anyway, when I go to hit the MODE button, my AVM display went almost totally dark.... and then displays half "garbage characters" in the display and nothing functions and the red lights (THX, DD, etc) are all off. The only way I could get it to stop was to unplug it and let it sort of "reset" itself.

It then did it a second time... so far only when I pushed the MODE button. It hasnt done it again yet since this afternoon. It was freaking me out. This AVM was bought new in FEB and upgraded in March. I bought it from Fred's Sound of Music in Portland.... thing is, I am moving back to San Diego, July 1st. If this persists, can I get it repaired in San Diego at an authorized retailer? Or should I get it done in Portland?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Adam,

If you are resigned to having your AVM-20 repaired, try the following first:
  • Reload the factory defaults (setup menu #11, submenu 'e'), reenter your setup parameters, and attempt to use the mode button again.
  • If the first idea fails, reinstall software version 2.09, reload the factory defaults (again!), reenter the setup parameters, and once again attempt to use the mode button.
If neither idea works, then you may be a victim of a bad install or faulty board. I have been inclined to believe that the DSP boards have been bad (poor QC), but the latest information I have heard is that Anthem has determined that nearly every "faulty" board they have had returned to them have been "fried" (static electricity).

BTW, I assume that you have a 6.1/7.1 setup, otherwise the DD-EX setting (Auto/On/Off) is ignored.

Michael

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Well, so far the Mode buttong hasnt done that again. Not sure if its a fluke thing or what.

Yes I have a 7ch Rocket setup pushed by an Aragon 2007

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I have had that happen to me with a few processors. Just cutting the power to the unit for 10 seconds and restoring it seemed to work. Sometimes static electricity can reek havok with newer electronics.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
It did it again today. It seems to be only the mode button. After it happened the first time, I unplugged and plugged in again. Then it didnt happen until I hit the MODE button like the 10th time. I am stumped.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Adam, make Fred's deal with it. They deserve it. And WHEN they give you the run around tell them you're going straight to Anthem.
I'd at least call them if you haven't already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks