What's new

Dallas: Complete First Season :) (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Not really.
They'll be two-sided DVD-18s (like West Wing and ER -- also from Warners). .......

So, in doing the quick math, 29 eps. (with some extras) on 5 platters = about 3 eps. per side, which in turn would be the equivalent of 6 half-hour shows per side -- which is not excessive in the least.

Just look at The Mary Tyler Moore set -- that set has eight half-hour (25-min.) episodes per single-sided disc! And in excellent quality.

Ditto for the Dick Van Dyke Dyke DVDs (or "pert-near" anyway :)) -- 6 or 7 eps. per side PLUS a sometimes-abundant amount of bonuses to boot on those.

So, I'd say we should be able to get very, very good PQ "breathing room" for the Dallas discs, even if some discs contain four episodes (44 to 46 min. ea.) per side.

PS -- I like the cover art (with the inclusion at the bottom of showing the Ewing house from a distance :emoji_thumbsup: ). But, yes, I realize it's "subject to change" before
August. :)

Can't wait to hear J.R. call Sue Ellen a tramp (over & over again) in Dolby Digital clarity. (He even uses the "S" word on Sue Ellen a time or two, which I was always surprised got past the CBS censors in those (1978-1979) days. Standards were beginning to "loosen" I suppose by then.) :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i enthusiastically agree! its a shame that isn't the final art- it looks very sophisticated.

what's the "s" word?
scamp?
strumpet?

Mark Lx

Second Unit
David, Oh I see. I thought if they were double-sided, they usually say so. I don't have any other Warner hour-long shows and didn't make the assumption. Anyway, that sounds great. They'll probaly divide the 24 episode full season over 4 disks and have the mini-series and discussion on the first disk. With 3 commentaries, I assume one will be over the first episode.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I'd hardly call 5 episodes a season. They're really using the word, "season," loosely. It's like rewriting history. Fans often refer to a show's seasons to identify and classify episodes or a certain era during a show's run.

For example: J.R was shot at the end of the second seson, will now have to be changed to the end of the third season according to the dvd.:angry:

Another example:
According to the TV Bible, "The Complete Directory to Prime-Time Network TV Shows", Dallas is listed in its appendix of Longest-Running Series as running 14 seasons. However, If they counted the 5 episode mini-series which ran in April during the 1977-78 season as the first season, then the show technically actually ran 15 seasons.

Am I making sense? Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?:emoji_thumbsup:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Better do your math once again.
Because "14" is correct, when counting the "mini series" as "Season 1".

14 seasons = 1977-1991 (ending in May 1991).

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I thought Jock was great. Just his whole affect...

"Hey Jay-AH! Fetch me a bourbon and branch."
"Hey Bobba"

By the way, he shows up on an episode of Kung Fu season 1 (much younger).
:)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Anybody ever see the old 1963-1964 TV commercial featuring Jim Davis (Jock) peddling the new '64 "Wildcat"? (Shot out in the desert.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks