What's new

Dalhquist QX users? (1 Viewer)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to get the QX10s as part of a home theater package, but placement is a problem. Tight space in the HT room would limit me to pulling the speakers off the back wall by no more than 7 to maybe 10 inches. Trying to figure out if that would pose a problem with bass, given that the speaker is rear ported.

If that seems like a problem, do any of those who've tested the Dahlquists think other speakers in that line would be suitable. (BTW, I can attest, as others here have already done, that Marc H. at AudioShop has been extremely helpful. Now if only he'd move to an audio shop near me! (-: )

Philip A

Agent
Hello Jeff,
I have the QX10's and due to space limitations (and Wife Acceptance Factor) I have them only 5-6" off the wall. They do extremely well at that distance. In fact, the review posted at at the Audio Shop website notes that close placement doesn't really hurt the bass response of the 10's much. That's been my experience. I'm one happy QX10 owner. BTW, my nephew who has Klipsch, is way impressed with the Dahlquist set up I have--so much so that he's trying to unload his and buy a Dahlquist set!

Can't speak for the others in the series regarding close to wall placement (my QX6's are ceiling mounted but far from walls and my QX4 rear center is not ported)--like you I've had to do this long-distance, but have been grinning since going for it with Marc and Dahlquist.

Phil

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hello!

Finally some other 'New' Dahlquist speaker owners..

I have had a set of QX10's, a Q60C center and two QX6's for surrounds/rears and the Dahlquist 125 powered sub.

I have this driven by a new SONY STR-DA4ES.

I have a 5.1 setup the room is fairly small one over the proverbial garage, about 18' long, by 12' wide and 8 ' ceiling height.

I can not say enough on how the new Dahlquists sound, toneality, openess, timbre etc...after owning the $5K to $10K stuff this stuff is really awesome....they constantly amaze me.

I spent several days setting up the speakers...my goal was good 2 ch stereo and Hometheater.

I moved the QX10's all over this room and found that in this room they work ok in many places but work really well in only a few places. The speakers bass response in this room varies dramatically to 'boomy' when placed very close to the rear wall to lacking bass when placed too far out.

You will/should experiment with the QX10's when you get them...dont be satisfied until you play around with them in your room...

Mine are bout 18" from the back wall to the rear of the speaker cabinet, towed in towards the listening seat at the other end of the room.

We recently repainted this room and moveded stuff around, I did not mark where the spaeakers were and when I put them back and fired them up, I immediately said, where did the low end go?? When I kicked in the subwoofer it sounded ok again (?)...but being the purist I do not like to use the sub for 2ch stereo....only the HT 5.1 stuff.

Out came the tape measure and I moved the QX10's back 6 inches (I was that far off) and the bass came back!!) this really amazed me...I then moved them back and forth a few inches at a time and tuned them so the bass was tight and clean...

Your room may be very different to mine, I specifically read what you read in the review on Marc H's website about them not being that sensitive, but the laws of physics are the laws of physics...

I hope you enjoy your Dahlquists as much as I have...

How did you mount the QX6's form the ceiling, I have mine setting on a set of stands at 'head/ear' level and want to move them up 2-3 feet higher..

Alex

Philip A

Agent
Hello Alex,

Likewise--good to hear from other amazed owners!

Thanks for the heads-up about fiddling with placing the QX10's, I'll do some tweeking after my a/v closet cabinets are finished this weekend.

Interestingly, I have had the hardest time getting my sub (an M&K 12") in the right place and performing like it should. The Dahlquists have been nothing short of wonderful--though I'm intrigued to play around with the bass some more! Part of the problem is that I've been doing this while also finishing the theater room. Marc at Audio Shop told me to wait for the room to be done before committing to any placement(in particular a set of double French doors along the left side of the front wall)... "Patience, my young grasshopper" keeps ringing in my ears!

As for your question about mounting the QX6's: I ordered the HTD speaker mounts ($16 a piece) and then machined (very slightly) the holes in the brackets to match the 6's threaded holes (only about 1/8" to 1/4" off). These brackets are heavy duty and very easy to work with, not to mention the $$ savings. I'll take some pics this weekend and post them here on Monday if you like. I'm very happy with the overhead sound--nothing gets in the way (and no kids can knock them over, etc).

Anyway, I'll be enjoying the EE of LOTR (DTS ES 6.1!!!) and ATOC within days--can't wait... BTW, I just picked up E.S. Postumous' CD "Unearthed" from CDStreet. Very good soundtrack type music--it should really show off the Dahlquists.

Phil

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,

Can you tell me where to get these htd mounts?? I did search and did not find anything that was close?

I moved my sub around and in the rectangular room have it in the middle of the right side wall between a leather chair and the equipment rack...in the corner in my small room it was boomy...its tight against the side wall as much as the cable stusff will permit...sounds really good here...

Maybe a SVS someday!
Smiling!
Alex

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Would any of you Dahlquist owners recommend the Dahlquist subs on Ubid.com? I've been looking at those and the prices seem right, especially for a starter sub. Do you need to modify their subs in any way?

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
The other thing I am wondering about is bass quality. Right now I am deciding, it seems, between the Dahlquists and the JMLabs Chorus 715s (with AAD's new C line still in the running). The JMs are crisp and tight, not boomy in the least, but I would have to buy them in a package that includes a sealed sub that only goes down to 35 hz. Whereas the QX10s are supposed to go down to 30hz without any help (Then I'd buy a sub like the SVS 20-39 for extra extension).

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, The bass on the QX10's is very tight, and well defined especially if you get them setup in you listening room well.

I am constantly amazed at how 'musical' they sound, when I listen to jazz, good acoustic guitar, the drum whacks are sooo sweet and tight, its amazing! Gutiars and other instruments sound like real instruments...

As a purist, having lots of high end stuff in the past, having to move and downsize the listening room, I was looking for a set of clsoe to full range speakers without using a sub, I do not like subs for 2 ch stereo...for HT there part of the game, but the mains have to do really well...the QX10's and for that matter the other Dahlquists for the bucks are very hard to beat...

Alex

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
The bass on the Dalhquist speakers are excellent, very tight clear and deep. And I only have the QX6's. They amaze me at the clarity and depth. I use them with ASL tubes and I am very happy with them.

Philip A

Agent
I can add my vote for the clean, quick, and very musical bass of the Dahlquist line (except I do not know about their subwoofers--I have an M&K). I really think you will be thrilled with them as far as bass goes (or anywhere along the freq. range for that matter).
I will say in all fairness, that even the QX10's don't do much in the 20hz range--there's a shocker (what speakers in this price range can even do 30hz-40hz well?!); however, they (QX10's) really did a nice job by themselves with some very low bass music like Sting, Enya, B-Tribe, Blue Man Group, etc. For a time, while I was trying to figure out my sub placement, they actually did well at LOTR scenes in Moria and the opening battle with Sauron's original demise.
Probably the most telling thing about these Dahlquists is that my WIFE thinks they were worth the $. Without a lot of back-story, that is amazing--she simply doesn't get the whole a/v obsession, but when she listened to Norah Jones on the QX10's she just smiled, closed her eyes, and said, "Turn that up a little more..."
Alex, here's a link to those speaker mounting brackets I used on my ceiling from HTD (Home Theater Direct).
http://www.htdaudio.com/walspeakbrac.html
--Phil

Marc H

Second Unit
I'm so glad you are all pleased with the Dahlquists and thanks ever so much for your business and for your trust in my recommendation on them. They are a pleasure to sell too as all the feedback so far has been terrific. They are doing extremely well in the shop too and are our most popular brand now.

Both Panavise and Orbital have brackets that fit the sockets on the Dahlquists too. I haven't checked Omnimount yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they had some too.

Jose, those subs on Ubid are absolutely no relation to the Dahlquist brand we sell.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Marc, thanks so much for that info. I read somewhere on line that they were from the new dahlquist line. Glad I asked. As for the QX10's, I'm going to have to take a listen to them after reading the positive reviews. Take care. José

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Marc,

I listened to my 'first'SACD on the QX10's and the OX6's . it was the sampler that came with the SONY DVC/CD/SACD player...amazing sound all together different, but waht was consistent was the awesome tonality of the Dahlquists!

Philip, I have the Nora Jones CD coming, its sounds like it really should shine!

Going to watch Lord of the Rings tonight!!!

Cool!

Alex

Tray

Stunt Coordinator
Jose,
I have the sub you mention off of UBID. I have the 15" version. I Bought it for $79. Idon't think it can be beat for price. It has alot of bass! Especially for its price. I would definately recommend it!:emoji_thumbsup:
Tray

Donnie Clark

Agent
Count me in the the QX line. I just ordered three pairs of QX 6's for a 6.1 system. I'm really anxious to hear what a surround system will sound like with perfectly matched speakers.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished listening to the new Norah Jones CD, this is a really an awesome cd...a 10 out of 10!!!! and the Dahlquists (QX10's) really do a fine job on making this recording such a great joy to listen to!!

Absolutey a great speaker that plays female voice wonderfully!!

Alex!

Now for some Holly Cole & Jennifer Warnes!!

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I am leaning heavily toward the Dahquist Qx10s, plus the QX60 center and QX20 surrounds. If only they weren't so deep (16 inches). That's the only cause for concern with my inability to pull them off the wall by more than 8-10 inches. I am still considering the Jm Labs Chorus 715s. A dealer offered me a terrific price and they fit better in my space because the speakers are smaller. But Jm Labs has no direct/dipole surrounds like the QX20, the Dahquists are less expensive and yet they also seem to beat the Chorus speakers in every category from what I read. Unfortunately, I do not know from what I hear since I have only heard the Chorus speakers. Still, I am sure the Dahlquists will sound splendid. Ah, decisions, decisions ...

Rory

Grip
Hey! I don't want to be left out here! I'm in the Dahlquist club too. I've got a 6.1 set-up with l/r front + center rear QX4's, l/r rear QX20R's, QX40C center and QX100S sub. It's all good! And of course, let me put in my props for our man Marc at Audioshop!

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

If your distance from the rear wall is insurmountable, look at the QX8's, only 11.5 " deep, or the QX9's, 14.25" deep.

For that matter, a set of QX 6's on some good stands would really play well....

I used the QX6's for a few days until the QX10's were installed...they are simply amazing also...

If you get a good sub you may surprise yourself...

The Dahlquists have not stopped amazing me!! AWESOME!

Alex

Donnie Clark

Agent
I just received 3 pair of QX 6's for a 6.1 setup. I've only sampled a pair with a stereo source and these are amazing little speakers. I was about to purchase a PSB Image setup and probably would have been pleased, but I wanted all matching bookshelf speakers for great 6.1 sound and the Dahlquist were right in size, sound and budget.

I A/B'd them last night with my 12 year old and very respectable, 4-foot tall, DCM time frame 750's. These speakers were highly respected before they changed designs to fit main stream and make their way into Circuit City. The DCM's were $1000/pr back in the day and the Dahlquist really give them a run for their money. Imaging and bass are slightly better on the DCM's but I'd give every other advantage to the Dahlquist. Keep in mind, the DCM's are a three-way tower with an 8" woofer and are right and left speaker specific.

If lack of space is a consideration and you will use a sub, don't be afraid to go with the QX6. These little guys sound great and play plenty low for their size. A sub will take care of the under 80Hz area and make them run even smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks