What's new

Da-lite vs. Seymour AT Screen (1 Viewer)

CamDrake

Auditioning
Real Name
Cam Drake
Hello All,
I am finishing my basement and installing a HT projection system. I haven't yet purchased the screen and have a couple options I'd love some input on. I have special pricing on a dalite HD Progressive 1.1 perforated for $328 OR a Seymour AV XD screen for about $200. Both screens would be 120" diagonal at 16:9. More information about each screen here:
http://www.da-lite.com/products/selecting.php?viewMode=front
http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp
Several components are purchased:
Epson 8350 projector
Pioneer VSX-30 receiver
Monoprice speakers all the way around in wall and ceiling
From what I can find, perf fabric creates a comb filter which will affect EQ and the woven fabric results in higher light loss but more uniform audio "transparency". I think I have plenty of brightness as there are no windows and dimmable lighting in the room (including a zone in the front by the screen). The Pioneer receiver comes with a calibration microphone so I believe I could overcome the comb filtering somewhat by using that for calibration with the screen in place. I plan to make my own frame for the fabric by the way.
So, any thoughts/experience with woven vs. perforated materials? Thanks in advance for your help!
-Cam

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
cool
you have the basics nailed.
Let us know how the calibration mic works on an AT screen. (I doubt it will work very well, but am very curious to see how it works for you).
Gregg

CamDrake

Auditioning
Real Name
Cam Drake
Thanks for your input Gregg. In your opinion, which of these is a better screen - all things considered?
I'm afraid of the comb filtering in the perf after seeing frequency response curves. I don't think the receiver will have enough notches in the EQ (or narrow enough Q in any notch) to affect each node in the combing. Some of my perf research seemed to be on older versions of that technology though so perhaps it's better now? Also, I found conflicting reports of moire on perf screens with some saying it's a worse problem on the perf than woven - others saying the opposite.
Is there any strong consensus in the HT world on this?
Thanks again for helping out a HT novice!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
there is no such thing as an accoustically transparent screen. all AT screens need to be properly EQd to achieve a flat response.

CamDrake

Auditioning
Real Name
Cam Drake
Yeah, I realize that no screen will truly be acoustically transparent. I use the term because it's an industry standard term and it lets people know what I'm talking about. Also, based on my comments about EQing after installing the screen, it's clear that I don't misunderstand the "acoustic transparency" of the screen.
My questions aren't about if either of the screens are is acoustically transparent. They are:
#1 - Of the two screens I listed, which would be a better choice given the scenario I have laid out?
#2 - Are the modern perf screens better than the ones with poor acoustic reviews from 6 years ago?
#3 - Is there a consensus in the HT world about one type being better than the other (perf vs. woven)?
Thanks again for any help you can give me on these questions or something I'm not thinking about!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Greater chance of moire issues on perf screens versus weaves.
The weaves don't lose nearly as much light as the perfs ...
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks