What's new

DA 4ES Owners,Question? (1 Viewer)

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,
I am upgrading to the 4ES from the 3ES (very happy with the DA3) for PLII, Neo6, and DTS ES.

My question is, can you apply PLII-Neo6 to all of the sound fields, like you can apply Pro logic to the sound fields in my DA3? (First adjustment in Surround Menu)

Thanks,
Steve.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Yeah, you can apply DTS-Neo 6 to all sound sources or what you termed as soundfields. The same goes for DPL-II.

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
NICKSP,

Thanks for the response!!!!!
It is important to me that I be able to apply these (PLII NEO6) to all sound fields IE: Cinema EX A/B/C Concert Hall A/B etc... Otherwise I need to cancel my order before it ships!
Probably too late, but that is why I was asking!
My DA3ES is GREAT! but no PLII or NEO6.

Thanks Again,
Steve.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Now hold it there Stevie. Do you want to apply a sound field over a soundfield? You cannot do that! PLII and Neo ARE soundfields. You cannot apply a DSP like Jazz or Stadium and on top of that apply PLII or Neo. It does not work that way.
Here is how a few scenarios can be laid out.
Let's say you are watching a movie with DD/DTS 5.1/6.1. You can then apply Cinema-EX (A/B/C) modes on top of that. The Cinema modes will stay in the 5.1/6.1 domain.

You CANNOT take a 5.1 source and play it in the PLII or Neo mode.

PLII and Neo are soundfields that can be applied to 2 channel music or other 2 channel sources only. Cinema A/B/C on the other hand can be applied to any sources. Like I said before, Cinema modes will stay in the 5.1/6.1 mode if the main source is 5.1/6.1.
If the main source is 2 channel music, etc. then Cinema A/B/C will switch into the Dolby Pro Logic mode but a way better sounding DPL than the good ol DPL by itself.

So in summarising, you cannot apply Cinema A/B/C modes over DPL-II or Neo 6 processing because when you switch to DPLII or Neo, you will automatically disconnect the Cinema modes.
I hope I have confused you enough.(LOL) :D

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Stevie: Answer is NO. In fact, in all movie-type soundfields (except normal surround), pro-logic is enabled permanently (exceptions are music-type ones like jazz, opera, etc.). You cannot diable pro-logic on the 4ES (or the 5ES) like you could with the 3ES (or V444ES, V555ES). On the 4ES, just like the 5ES, the only way to enable DPL-II or NEO:6 is to use the normal surround soundfield. You can cycle through the five avaialable matrix decoders (DPL, DPL-II Movie/Music, and dts NEO:6 Cinema/Music).

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
NickSP,

So far, you haven't confused me much.

But lets say, your watching TV (digital cable) with a digital 2/0 source, and Cinema A sound field.

With my DA3 you can choose Pro Logic ON, auto, off, (first setting in the surround menu)in any one of the sound fields, applying it over the selected sound field.

MY question is can you do the same thing with the DA4 and say, PLII.
I think your telling me it's not done the same way, and that PLII, and Neo6, are their own sound fields, with their own adjustments/settings in the surround menu.
True?

Thanks again for the response!
Steve.

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

I didn't see your post. (guess I was typing)
But that explains it better.

Thanks,Steve.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Stevie, sorry for the late reply but the answer to your question is "No". You cannot do that on the DA4ES and that is why many here prefered the 5ES.

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
Nick & Aaron,

Thanks again for the replies. (Not sure if I like what I heard)

I am still anxiously waiting for mine to arrive, so I can hook it up and compare it to my DA3 :angry: (should be any day now)

I'm not sure i'm gonna like it any more than what I have now! But if I don't, I guess I can always sell it and look for a used DA5.
Or maybe wait for reviews of one of the new digital amp ES units that are rumored to replace what we have now.
:D

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
StevieP,

With respect to DPL-II or NEO:6, the 5ES has the same restrictions as the 4ES. That is, you can not enable DPL-II or NEO:6 with any of the DSP soundfields (only with Normal Surround, and with AFD).

The 5ES does however allow you to selectively disable surround decoding (i.e. Pro-Logic) for 2-channel sources when using a DSP soundfield (such as Cinema Studio EX B, etc.). On the 5ES, this parameter is called "2 CH. DECODING" and can be set to AUTO, ON, or OFF. On the 3ES, this is called "PRO-LOGIC" and can be set to AUTO, ON, or OFF. Your 3ES user manual should detail this information, since the 5ES shares the same manual.

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,
Does that mean with the DA4, you cannot selectively disable surround decoding when using a DSP sound field?

Also, how does "2 CH. DECODING" in the DA5 differ from the DA3s "PRO LOGIC" selections?

I'm pretty sure I know what your talking about, and probably won't need to disable Pro Logic in the DA4s DSPs being it has PLII & NEO6 (In Normal Surround).
However when upgrading ,you always hate to loose options!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks