What's new

D-VHS on the way? Studios pledge Support in Thursday's Conference (1 Viewer)

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
, high definition DVD is the holy grail, and I don't think anything will stop it. The Studios, the Player manufactures all know this
This is a reasonable position, and it´s what we (almost all) think. But see Warner´s position, they put DVD product based on VHS (Ex: Babilon 5 or Freddy's Nightmare).

Lowing our minds to Warner´s level, if they don´t see the need for HD Format (tape) they will think, why consumers will want another HD Format (Disc)?.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
What I fear the most is that the introduction of D-VHS could stall the release of an HD-DVD format, which is what I think we all want. If this new format becomes successful, then what's to motivate studios to release and support an HD-DVD standard?
Money will motivate them.
Even if D-VHS becomes hugely successful (which I doubt), the studios will jump at the chance to sell their movies yet again on HD-DVD.

Craig W

Second Unit
This about patents more than anything else. Don't Warner, Sony (which owns Columbia Tristar) and Toshiba hold the majority of the DVD patents?

I think the other studios were reluctant to support DVD in the beginning because any disc or player sold with the DVD logo a portion of that sale went to their competitors.

JVC is probably upset that don't own the stake of the fastest growing consumer product in history. Who owns the VHS and D-VHS patents? JVC. So they are trying to position themselves as a major player again and the only way they can do it is by putting some new chrome on a rusted out Pinto. VHS served its purpose in the market, but it is time to let go of this technology.

I like most others here will not invest in this system. DVD is fine for me now. When I eventually go to a HD format it will be a disc based or some other superior technology.

Here is my two cents. The public on average hates change. DVD is now starting to be accepted by the general public and for them to now change to a new format so soon will not happen. My own family calls me to tell me they just bought a DVD player after years of my preaching as a early adapter just to say they wished they would of switched much sooner will they switch to another new format so soon "NOT GOING TO HAPPEN" At best this new format has only hopes of being what the laser disc became just a niche.

One thing we have today which did not exist not that many years ago is the internet and this and other forums which keeps us all informed at the speed of light and can help or crush just about anything at the speed of light. Remember DIVX. To be honest with you all if was not for this forum and the internet I would of thought DIVX was the way to go, because of all the press, but the real people here showed me the light. Well today information gets out more quickly to the average person and will kill this new format for the masses. Besides way too many drawbacks as mentioned here in spite of the picture quality.

Lee J. Buividas

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Since so many here are saying D-VHS is going to be confusing to the consumer, where can I see a picture of one of the tape?

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Never mind I just found one, and they look the same as VHS to me, that millions are used to using already.
dvhs02.jpg

The decks are fully backwards compatible with all formats, including S-VHS
I think everyone should go read Bill Hunts article on D-VHS.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I work for the largest video chain in Canada, which has more stores (in Canada) than Blockbuster. I can tell you, that they will not even bat an eye at D-VHS.

The studios might support it but most video chains will not.

Jeff

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Okay, so according to that report at The Digital Bits, the new format will indeed include multiple audio tracks so I'll have to scratch that off my list of complaints. It also says that the format will support chapter stops. I would really like to know how that works. Are there markers in the actual tape that tell the player "Chapter 1, 2, etc."? I know that some audio cassette machines could fast-forward and read when one song ended and the next began, allowing you to jump ahead to the next tune without the pain of stopping the fast-forward and playing the tape to see where you are. Perhaps the same idea is being used in D-VHS.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
The JVC D-VHS player has component outputs. It remains to be seen if movies will be 'image constrained' on that output. I personally think they won't be since that would exclude 2 million current HDTV owners that would only be able to view HDTV material via component (or other analog) input.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Stupid, idiotic, dumb, ridiculous, moronic, absurd, laughable, pathetic, these are words that sum up perfectly how I feel towards this.
Go back to vhs after DVD!?!?!? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Given

1. Full resolution analog outputs allowed by the software, PC digital interface which will output to an analog monitor (before or after being hacked), or Sony 12xx digital interface board no more expensive than the HDTV component input board.

2. About 10 movies that I'd want to watch every 6-12 months OR the local video store (many times the selection at Block Buster, laser discs where DVDs aren't available, etc) picks up the format and the studios relase their new releases on it.

3. A price tag in the $500 range ($750 works).

I'd think seriously about one. Price will eventually become reasonable (isn't street price already approaching the $1000 mark?). As a niche format, I doubt they'll satisfy requirement #2. Finally, given the copying paranoia, limited market, anti-tamper requirements in the digital HDTV intefaces I doubt #1 will happen. IOW, I'm real skeptical.

For now, if the price doesn't bother you Hi-vision/MUSE looks like a better interim solution.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
{Someone please confirm if I'm correctly recalling who originally backed Div-X.}
Divx-participating studios were Dreamworks, Fox, Paramount, MGM, Buena Vista, and Universal. 3 did not support DVD until after Divx was publicly announced (Paramount in early 1998, Fox in August of that year, Dreamworks a few months after that).

Paramount, despite its early rhetoric, gave DVD more support than it ever gave Divx, and like Dreamworks (the last studio to announce DVD support) has no Divx exclusives. The other 3 still have varying numbers of exclusives, all B and C-grade titles with limited appeal. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to come to DVD.

Hope that helps.

RD

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, here goes. Let's flash forward about 5 years from now.

All TV broadcasts are in HDTV only. Since a lot of people still have old TV's, they now have converter boxes added.

Question - Can HDTV broadcasts be recorded on today's analog VHS machines?

To go on. The price of these D-VHS machines will come down, and other manufacturers will put them out too, and stop production of the analog ones. When they sell at $200 or less, they are going to sell like crazy, especially if: A. You cannot buy analog ones anymore - and B: New movies are released only in that format.

Back to Blockbuster and other chains. Is the 'lifespan' of rented DVD's less than that of VHS tapes? They are a lot more fragile. We all know that, and maybe BB and others wouldn't have to replace as many tapes as they would DVD's today.

And as for DVD-R. Ok, it is out, but it won't do anyone any good at all if they just stop making DVD-R blanks.

Now, who is in control?

Glenn

Kevin Davidson

Auditioning
This format has lingered in the back of my mind for a while, and I had hoped it would blow away before droning up enough support, as I long for HD-DVD like a crack feen. I know that JVC has pushed and PUSHED for this turd-rotten egg of a scheme for a while. I think they are either a bitter company or incredibly stubborn in persisting that this "interim solution" be well-received. And Fox, Universal and Dreamworks have again proven that although they release very good product for DVD, they are MORE THAN WILLING to throw there support for a degradable format. If D-VHS did take off like they wish it to, it would NOT take long for other hesitant studios to follow suit! I want HD films like many here, but we need to make our voices heard, especially to corporate Hollywood -- NO MORE TAPE FORMATS!
As for JVC, I have devised a new acronym more reflective of your true motivation - :angry: :angry:
Vend - (def) to sell
JVC = Just Vending Crap

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Alot of you guys sound like J6P.
I love movies not formats.
I want to watch movies in the best picture and sound available.
I am seriously looking at getting one of these if it is confirmed it will work with my projector.
Kevin C. :)

Kevin Davidson

Auditioning
A J6P! If I had a glove I might have had to smack you !! :eek:
In cyberspace, of course. I too love mnovies, but should I choose to watch one in 3+ years, I expect to see the same audio/visual quality. In short, I expect an element of product permanence in a hobby I spend $1000+ every single year on. How can that be wrong, misguided, selfish, you fill-in-the word? Picky? Probably. Demanding? Almost certainly. But a J6P? :rolleyes:
I use that term for my misdirected coworker who bought a $100 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks