What's new

Cutoff Questions (1 Viewer)

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
If my mains are rated to 28 Hz, would you set your cut off on the sub to 50 or 80? I had someone recommend 100-120. I am a bit confused so pleae help me.

Thanks,

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
100-120 is WAY too high. I would try both 80 and 60 (or 50 whatever your settings are). Does the 84 allow you to set individual x-over settings per speaker type? (front, center, surrounds...)

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
Nope..it's global as far as I know. I can set it as low as 50 and the next setting is 80. My goal is to get the smoothest sound possible.

Many thanks,

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Maybe you can try to use a free program like REW to check you rooms response and speaker actual freq response. That way you can find for sure where your speakers begin to lose low freq performance.
Other than that I will probably try the lowest point you can (50 in your case) and try some movies...trial and error. :)

Regards

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't forget the capabilities of the center. It's just as important. You should also consider the surrounds, though maybe not as heavily. Plus, is the low end rating at some insane distortion like 5%? I would say 80 is probably best of your choices, but give 100 a try, just for grins. Again, let us know what the low end of the center is.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
I see that is a global setting...if thats the case then yes, you need to check your weakest link when it comes to bass performance, which as mentioned is probably the center, and make that the cutoff point. No the best solution but if you dont have individual settings then is the only solution you have.

Regards

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It says the LC2 is good to 50Hz, which means a 50Hz x-over will likely be too low for it. My speakers are -3dB at 55Hz and I use a 80Hz x-over with very good results.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
Thanks for the help all. I will give the 100 a try however; the 80 seems to be the sweet spot.

Thanks again.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All things considered, it will probably be a trade-off between 80 and 100. 80 being better for the mains and reduced localization of the sub, but being a bit too low for the center. Just see what you like better. I just wouldn't go any lower. 50 is definitely not good when the center is considered.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
Thanks. I am going to stick on 80. My weakest link are my rears coming in at 60 HZ. I set the system to 100 and left the room for about 2 hours. came back and tried it. The sound did not have the same "warmth" and fullness. I turned it back to 80 and made a couple of minor eq changes. Sounds good.

thanks for all the help

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks