Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
*pokes head in thread*

*looks around, has flashbacks to the nightmare that was the 80s*

*runs for dear life*

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Ah, you poor youth. How unfortunate that were not born early enough to be a part of Generation X. The Golden Age of pop culture. Back in the days when MTV used to play music videos. Back in the days when KFC was Kentucky FRIED Chicken and they were proud of it. Back in the days of New Coke.

The phrase "cut low" and it's variation "cut" was commonly used among the youths of the 80's to bring attention to a particularly biting comment from one person to another. Related words: "face" and "facial."

Example:
You--"Damn, this Debbie Gibson cassette. I can't get it in."
Me--"That's what she said."
Eugene--"Oooooo. Cut low!"

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Your cunning lingustics will be sure to help when you're dealin' some bomb chicks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Must be a California thing. I'm Gen X and I've never heard any of those. :frowning:

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Where's the love for "gnarly?" That word could've been used in so many different ways, yet the public shunned it.:frowning:

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Hahaha LaMArcus, FRESH!.

I recall these:

"Crib"
"Fly"
"Word to your mother"
"On-time" ("That 1/4 pounder was on-time man")

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Man, I really miss the phrase "word to your mother." Damn that's a great phrase. Every now and then I like to take it out of the attic, dust it off and take it for a spin around the block.

Side note: "Word" alone is good too. I should start saying that each time somebody says something to me like I did when I was in junior high.:D

For some of these catchphrases don't you wish you were "that guy"? I'm not talking about you were the first one on your block to say the latest catchphrase because your cousin from New York came to visit one summer and gave you a heads up. I'm talking about being the actual first one in the universe to ever utter it. To feel the satisfaction (or indignity) six months later when you see it used as a catch phrase on the Simpsons.

I feel the same way about jokes that are passed around on the internet. Like the "best hooker in Vegas" or the "you're gonna hate Fridays" jokes. Somebody had to write them originally. Now they're classics. The best jokes have probably circled the Earth thousands of times by now. Hell, people are still sending me these great "new" jokes they just read and yet I remember reading them ten years ago.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I saw this recently on "Meet My Folks", even before the 3 girls entered the house and met the folks, they were given tasks, and one of them had to preface every single sentence she uttered with "word". The mother's reaction was hilarious.

(The other girls' tasks: one had to take a drink straight from the faucet (no big deal), the other had to grope dad's butt :D )

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Actually we still say "word" and "word ta motha" but not "word to ya motha".

"Yo, she gave me head 'B'"
"Say word?!!"
"Word up son, she said I can hit it from the back too!"
"Say word ta motha!"

If a person says "word ta motha" that means they really want you to believe what they are saying. It's like saying if I'm lying let God strike my mother dead.

All of my friends are from New York. :b

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
cut low? bah ... in my day it was all about "ohh..burnnn!"

although i think "faced!" was oft-quoted as well.

now where the hell is my goody comb....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks