What's new

Custom Star Wars DVD covers (original trilogy)... (1 Viewer)

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Ric,

I too am working on transferring my LDs of the SE and OT to DVD. Mine will be anamorphic and the SE's will have DD 5.1!

Thanks for those covers. They look great. I also recently bought an Epson 960 printer that can do CD printing. Know of any good premade labels?

My next project will be transferring my Blade Runner Criterion CAV LD with all the extras!

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

The first Star Wars Trilogy has never been released on DVD officially. They will be released no later than end of 2006 after Episode 3 is released. Hopefully sooner if George Lucas allows it.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
According to GL, there will be no DVD release of the Original Starwars Trilogy.
Which is a stupid idea since it pretty much begs for bootlegs of the original trilogy to be made. Does he really think it won't happen?

EDIT: I'm not advocating bootlegs, I'm just saying that GL doesn't seem to realize how important these movies are to us.

Mike

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I think George Lucas has begun to lose all his common sense. That goes for his movies as well as his decisions regarding the DVD releases.

He should release the Original trilogy on dvd right now with a few extras and anamorphic video. Then, after he's completed the prequels he could release them with whatever extra footage and additional effects he wants. Just give the fans what they want now and then do whatever you want later. You make more money anyway George!

Of course no amount of fans screaming about this will make any difference. The man is richer than he could ever imagine and he does whatever he wants and no one dares to suggest otherwise.

Dan.B

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Of course no amount of fans screaming about this will make any difference. The man is richer than he could ever imagine and he does whatever he wants and no one dares to suggest otherwise.
And why not, I say. It's his life, and will be his legacy. He plowed his own line in the field of time, and he had to fight long and hard to see his films made - he didn't always have it easy.

PS: I'm not a fan of the Star Wars films; American Graffiti, on the other hand, is a small masterpiece of personal American filmmaking. :)

Gordy

Jason_H

Second Unit
It can be done, but unless the source material is anamorphic it doesn't make a lot of sense to make an anamorphic DVD - except for bragging rights.
Eh...I disagree a little bit. It still makes sense to crop and encode them anamorphically since it allows the film to be scaled at the editing/MPEG2 encoding stages instead of by your TV or DVD player on the fly. You should get slightly better results. This is how I am doing my transfer from the Definitive Collection LDs onto DVD-R. I am not bothering with 5.1 audio since the original trilogy is in 2.0 DPL...I am not doing the special editions.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
He should release the Original trilogy on dvd right now with a few extras and anamorphic video. Then, after he's completed the prequels he could release them with whatever extra footage and additional effects he wants. Just give the fans what they want now and then do whatever you want later. You make more money anyway George!
Sure, then people would bitch at him for only caring about money and releasing soo many versions of his movie.

Normal people don't buy multiple versions of a movie.

Get over it. We'll get them when he wants.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I'll get over it as soon as I have them in my hand!

He is a moron. Anyone sitting on a cash cow like that has to be.

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of people have emailed me asking for instructions on transferring LDs to anamorphic DVD-R. A few others have emailed me asking for copies of my work. Well, the answer to the second question is no. But I am thinking of starting a thread in the HTPC section that will list the steps that I used to get the LDs to DVD-R.

If anyone wants to start a thread in that forum. I will be more than happy to contribute. Just post a link here.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
But I am thinking of starting a thread in the HTPC section that will list the steps that I used to get the LDs to DVD-R.
I wouldn't suggest it. Similar threads have been locked regardless of how many people argued that it's for archival purposes with fair use intentions.

And of course we have the letter-of-law HTFers who look at any copying as a blatant violation of the DMCA and therefore should not be discussed under any circumstances.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
In the case of Star Wars, I think a lot of people would buy multiple versions of the Original Trilogy if Lucas actually cared enough about the fans to release multiple versions of those 3 films on DVD. Anyone who doesn't believe that is either just plain stupid or they don't realize how fanatical some people are about Star Wars. A box set release of the theatrical versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in widescreen anamorphic video with DD 5.1 sound would be the biggest selling box set of all time(even with no extras). Then, after Episode 3 comes out, another box set(this time with 2-disc SE versions of the Original Trilogy) could be released and it would be an even bigger seller than the initial release. Lucas, as greedy as he is, actually is costing himself money by not doing this and he's screwing over the fans at the same time. I just don't understand this guy and why he is such a pain in the ass about certain things. He has publicly stated that the theatrical cuts of the films will never be released again because they didn't convey his "vision" the way the SE versions did(yeah, that whole Greedo shooting first thing is some vision). What he doesn't realize is that millions of people grew up on those versions of the films and would like to have them preserved on a medium other than VHS. Now, rumor is that he is tinkering with the Original Trilogy even more to tie them in with Episodes 1-3 and that these new versions of the OT will be what we get on DVD in 2005 or 2006. Great, so we get to wait 3 more years to find out that he's somehow managed to integrate Jar Jar into "A New Hope". I wish somebody would get through to George Lucas and talk some sense into him once and for all, but that's probably not going to happen anytime soon so I might as well just get over it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
And of course we have the letter-of-law HTFers who look at any copying as a blatant violation of the DMCA and therefore should not be discussed under any circumstances
Then we should not allow 99% of the signatures on this board, and we should also not allow links to customized DVD cover art because they are all infringing on copyright/licensing laws.

p.s. If you are in any way affiliated with Fox, please skip over my signature ;)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
There has been a couple of threads recently (one started by moi!), in the Computer area on this very subject.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I am salivating at the very thought of owning the original trilogy on dvd right now. I can't believe there are actually people out there who have them in anamorphic video with 5.1 digital sound. I never would have thought it was possible. :b

dan.b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks