What's new

Curse of the Fly DVD...Severely Cropped Cinemascope? (1 Viewer)

Albion

Agent
Real Name
Mark Davies
This my first post,and it concerns the above DVD release of The Curse of the Fly.

Has this transfer been severely cropped?
The reason I ask is important ,because if this title has been cropped badly,how do we know others have'nt.This title has a clue regarding that possibility,other titles may not have.

As I am from the UK the DVD I refer to is the region 2.As COTF has also been released in Australia it would be interesting to compare with the region 2 transfer.
The clue I refer to comes at the end credits.Clearly this shot is a continuation of the shot prior to the insert of the skull of the scientist in the car.
It is plainly obvious that on the credit portion of this shot there is more width to each side and more information revealed at the bottom.There is also slightly more height.The stated AR of the transfer is 2.35,however the credit portion of the shot in question is about 2.12,suggestive of even more information missing from the sides.Indeed if you look carefully there is a strong suggestion of side masking/encoding to ensure the titles are not covered by Overscan.This additional (masked width) may account for the maximum extraction area available,most of which we are not seeing.

If I am right,then this cropping may be the same throughout the entire film.
Am I worrying over nothing.I have fond memories of this movie from when I first saw it.I would hate to think I am unable to see it in its full Cinemascope glory,as I have always wanted to.

If anyone has either or both of these DVD's what do you think.When you see the shot concerned you will immediatly see what I am describing.
If I am mistaken can anyone point out what in fact has taken place here apart from the obvious,like the camera was moved or zoomed back at the end of the shot.Even if this did occur the increase in area at the top and bottom is disproportionate to the increase in area at the sides,so I think we can discount that.

All thoughts and comments welcome.:emoji_thumbsup:

Greg K

Second Unit
I couldn't tell you for sure...

The Curse of The Fly has never even been released on DVD here in Region 1. It did air on the Fox Movie Channel a few times in the past few years, and it WAS 2.35:1 in those airings.

Albion

Agent
Real Name
Mark Davies
Hello Greg,yes the AR of the DVD is 2.35 throughout except for this end credit shot at 2.12.Yet it shows more info than the 2.35 part of the composition prior to the insert.

Like the American Widescreen Museum says AR is no guarantee of content.

Albion

Agent
Real Name
Mark Davies
Well I've just managed to view some screen captures from the Australian DVD
of COTF. Mondo Digital website.

The Extraction area is exactly the same.So this release is Severely cropped as well.No different to the uk release.I understand there maybe a Scandinavian release.There is always hope.

Why??????? do they do this.It is so annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks