What's new

current best pick DVD player (1 Viewer)

Peter Gregg

Auditioning
I have lost track since not following for a while. What is the current best pick for a middle DVD player. For example, a year ago the Pioneer 525 was a solid machine, I have 2 of them. I nned to add another one and gift one too. What is the current sweet spot player?

Pete

PaulKH

Second Unit
Panasonic RP91 is very popular for all around sophistication (progressive, interlaced, lots of settings, smart display of non-anamorphic DVDs on 16:9 displays, etc.). In my opinion though, this is not the one to get for someone who wants to set and forget. It's

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
the RP91 is the way to go right now. i have one and love it! if you dont need DVD-A, go for the RP56-- for $225 at Best Buy, it's been argued to have the best picture of any sub-$1000 player.

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
I'd vote for the Toshiba 4700. Features to price ratio is great. Awesome picture and DVD-audio for $230. If DVD-A isn't something that is important I'd opt Panasonic RP-56. Good luck.

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I'll third the toshiba 4700. You can get it shipped for $225 from onecall. I've got one and as said above it's great. Finally made my HT look as good as I always hoped it could!

PaulKH

Second Unit
I'm really glad to see growing votes for the 4700.

Thomas, you mentioned the RP56, but besides a sharp picture (although too high contrast IMHO) it has almost no other features and isn't user-friendly.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Another vote for the 4700, but not only for its picture quality and features, but for its remote control. I have sooooooooooo many remotes and it is paramount for me to be able to be able to control my system with the room, except for the TV dark. The remote on the Toshiba is very user friendly.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have been considering the Toshiba 4700. I don't have DTV yet, so would like to know how the interlaced picture is.

Peter Gregg

Auditioning
Thank you guys, as always a great help. It seems the Tosh 4700 is where i am going. I am sorry Pioneer doesn't have a good current player in the market.

Thanks,

Pete

Tim Holmes

Grip
On one hand I'm hearing the RP91 is great, and that the RP56 is basically the same, but without DVD-Audio support. Then, later Paul H. says that it basically has no features aside from a great picture.

I've got the RP-91 and while I'd recommend that to my friend, the $450 is steep for her. I'd like to recommend the RP-56 (partly because I'm familiar with it and know it has a good picture since it's like the 91...)

Can someone clarify for me? Can someone chime in with more detail on the 56?

Thanks in advance,

Tim H.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry guys...I might be old fashioned but my Sony 7000 seems to be my favorite, even after listening/viewing some of the new players out...

Tim K.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I still have a soft spot in my heart for my original SONY 7000 (which I still own and use upstairs). True, no DTS etc., but it is region and macrovision-free and has never, ever, misplayed any disc. A workhorse and a milestone product.
And having used and/or owned a slew of other DVD players I still rate my SONY 9000ES as the best of the bunch in build quality, reliability and picture (no, it doesn't have the "chroma bug"). And the SACD (2 channel, my preference) is icing on the cake. I also use and enjoy a Panasonic RP-91 (I like the DVD-Audio and the variable aspect switching) but it still is no match, IMHO, for the 9000ES. Together, these two machines make a formidable couple and will get me through the next couple of years (yeah, right!)
:laugh:

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Tim H.,

I've been looking into getting a second DVD player and one of the decks I'm considering is the RP56. From what I've been able to find so far, it doesn't have a lot of extra features and if you want DTS, your receiver will need a decoder. The one very big thing it has going for it is the Sage/Farjouda DCDi chip (although this isn't indicated anywhere on the deck) and progressive output. I have yet to see one in action but from what I've read, the picture rivals that of most any unit under $1500. It is supposed to be on the slow side for going between layers which can be annoying. Another unit that is reasonably affordable, ~$450, and has the Sage chip is the Philips DVD50AQ.

Alex Prosak

Tim Holmes

Grip
Well, this last post really summed things up nicely for me, and reading over the posts (once I had the Toshiba 4700 in mind) adds to the pile of info I'm seeing in favor of the 4700.

I don't know about the person who started the thread, but this has been extremely useful to me, and will save about $200 for my friend.

Thanks,

Tim H.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Glad this helped Tim, and hope your friend likes the 4700 if that's what you end up getting.

James D S

Screenwriter
I am not too familiar with the 4700. Does Toshiba still use a decoder that display the chroma upsampling error? If it does, it would be a shame to purchase a player in this day and age with the error when other players are on the market that are the same price, or cheaper, that do not have a faulty decoder. Especially, if picture quality is of a concern.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
I also am in the market for a budget prog-dvd player to replace my trusty Pioneer 333.
I just spent a few days with the RP 56 $230, & Jvc SA 75 $280 ( JVC SA 60 at $230 is basically the same without DVD audio).
I picked these up at BB to compare.
My display is a Mits digital 5507 basic Avia calibrated.
Hands down the JVC had a better progressive picture to both my & the wifes eyes.
Sharper more vivid colors being the main standout.
The images seemed clearer & stood out more.
Also much better features on the JVC.
Pani was clearly better on video material though.
However the flicker bug that was most obvious on the Toy Story logo.
I felt the colors were much less vivid on the pani.
The RP-56 went back to BB.
Last night after returning the RP-56 I picked up the Tosh 3750 an open box buy for $169 to compare to the JVC.
I did a quick Avia calibration, & only spent about an hour with it.
My initial impression is the JVC has a better prog picture on film material.
Tosh may be a bit better than the Pani on film material.
Honestly I need to spend some more time with this player.
This was just a quick first impression.
This one seems to be tops in features though.
Seems like a great deal for what I paid.
Forgot to add the Tosh has the chroma bug.
Showed up on the Toy Story 2 logo.
Not too horrible though.
I may wind up taking all these back & go with the Malata now that AVDeals has them again though. :)
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks