What's new

CSI: Season One - Box and Disc Art (1 Viewer)

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if it'll be in widescreen?

It's my understanding that the show was filmed in 16x9 anamorphic format from the start, and broadcast that way on High Definition television.

Certainly, the second season was broadcast in widescreen in the UK, and it looked glorious that way.

I held off buying the UK and then Canadian and Australian sets in the hope that the domestic US ones might be widescreen, so my fingers are crossed.

BTW, 1 March 2003 is supposed to be the release date.

David

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
So far as I know the film has always been 16x9 HD, so I would expect anamorphic widescreen on this set. The only reason I haven't checked out this show is Will and Grace, so the DVDs might be worth trying.

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
Here's another concern...

The Who's "Who Are You?" theme song was not featured on the UK, Canadian or Australian releases, replaced by some generic rock song in a apparent bid to avoid paying royalties.

I certainly hope that the domestic US releases are handled properly. It's just not CSI if it doesn't have a pithy comment from Grissom followed by the familiar, "Dum..... dum-DUM!"

David

MikeSilver

Stunt Coordinator
The Who's "Who Are You?" theme song was not featured on the UK, Canadian or Australian releases, replaced by some generic rock song in a apparent bid to avoid paying royalties.
That's not quite accurate. My Canadian boxset of the first half of Season 1 does include "Who Are You?" as the theme song during the opening credits. Unfortunately, now I'll be stuck with a half season pan and scan set and a full season widescreen (hopefully!) set.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My Canadian version also has the "Who are You" song in the beginning. I knew as soon as I bought this a US version would be announced. :rolleyes

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I didn't realise the Canadian release had the correct theme (rights must be cleared okay in North America).

The packaging for the Canadian release looked the same as the UK, and there's also a strong similarity with the US one, so if IS the same people producing this set then I hope they've splurged for new anamorphic transfers!

Any chance of registering our keen desire for a widescreen release?

David

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
Nice disc/box art. I hope its in widescreen, that would be cool. I'll have to check this one out on the release. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Yay, this is going to a must have box set next year along with Angel and Buffy (plus Simpson and the future 24 season 2 box). No stinking TNN for me, as I can see it all without damn commerisals and widescreen.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'm not buying if it isn't Anamorphic widescreen. I've got most of those eps recorded in 16:9 already.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Excellent
I can't wait to see this with a nice trasfer. I can't get this show in HD yet, so this will likely be as good as I've seen it.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
As good as an anamorphic widescreen transfer of CSI would look, It's not gonna touch watching CSI in high definition. Yet another reason to buy into DVHS!

Marc.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I just wish I could use my DVHS to record. So far there is no reasonably inexpensive way to take my cable signal and pass it to my DVHS for recording.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I knew as soon as I bought this a US version would be announced.
I'm with you, Todd: I just bought the Canadian half-season box set, and obviously our combined purchases were the straws that broke the camel's back. :)
Grrrr. I mean, I'll be pleased to have the whole first season (and hopefully in anamorphic widescreen), but now I wish I'd held off on the half-season set.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I have more info on this:

The six-disc set will feature all 23 episodes with fullscreen transfers and Dolby Digital 2.0 audio (and yes, The Who's title song will open the show). Extras will include character profiles, the "Who Are You" CSI music video, and the featurette "People Lie... but the Evidence Never Does."

Exact episode listings are as follows -- Disc 1: 100-Pilot (episode 100), Cool Change (101), Crate and Burial (103), Pledging Mr. Johnson (104); Disc 2: Friends and Lovers (105), Who Are You? (106), Blood Drops (107), Anonymous (108); Disc 3: Unfriendly Skies (109), Sex, Lies and Larvae (110), I-15 Murders (102), Fahrenheit 932 (111); Disc 4: Boom (112), To Halve and to Hold (113), Table Stakes (114), Too Tough to Die (115); Disc 5: Face Lift (116), $35K OBO (117), Gentle Gentle (118), Sounds of Silence (119); Disc 6: Justice is Served (120), Evaluation Day (121), Strip Strangler (122), and the bonus materials.

Release Date and Pricing still TBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks