What's new

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Season 9 (mild early season spoilers) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just thought that he wanted to make a difference by helping to solve crimes and seeing a different area of a topic that he's obviously interested in. Plus, I assume that's he made enough money throughout his career that he can take a pay decrease just to indulge that desire.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

They pretty much explained that in Grissom's last episode.

1) He was looking right at the killer in his classroom and didn't recognize him. That bothered him and made him question the worth of his academic studies and teaching.

2) After that experience he wants to help find these guys, not merely study them.

3) "It isn't always about the money, is it?"

Langston was a practicing physician for many years and a hospital department head after that. (I believe he was chief pathologist at the hospital where the "angel of death" he wrote about was active.) He doesn't seem to be married and I doubt he has any minor children. He's probably comfortably off financially, which is why he was able to take one huge pay cut to become a college professor. In terms of his net worth and cash flow, he probably wouldn't be giving up that much to become a CSI level 1, and he won't be a level 1 forever.

It is not unheard of for comfortable-to-wealthy men approaching mid-life to make a major career change, even if that involves starting at the bottom. I once knew a guy who made a couple of million in the dot com boom. His passion was fixing cars, but he never had the time or the expert knowledge to do it right. When the company where he was working went public he quit, cashed out his stock, enrolled in a trade school to become a certified mechanic and then hired on as an entry-level grease-monkey at an auto dealership. Different strokes and all that.

Regards,

Joe

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was laughing pretty hard at all the unfortunate things happening to Langston, even at the very end when he was only trying to help.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"Also, this is similar to when Greg started doing field work. He was a novice. But, within a few episodes he knew what he was doing."

But Greg is not the main focus of the show, just one of the guys....I could not see him being the main guy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Good. While that might have been an interesting angle to play, I don't know if it would have worked and it would have made him seem consistantly sinister. So if he looked at Catherine in a serious way, people would be speculating that he was planning on killing her.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm glad they aren't bringing in another "mentor". I think bringing in your top-billed star as your least experienced CSI is a nice, fresh approach.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Fish shows up and the thread starts dying!

Was no one tripped up with that faux-FBI agent episode? It was great!

Also, a grand "HELL YEAH!" for CSI: Season 1 taking a jump into the cool Blu waters...

mylan

Screenwriter

Well, they have been mostly reruns but the last new show did completely make up for the lack of Grissom with an excellent story and the fake FBI agents were a complete surprise. My wife is a mental health nurse who deals with these type people all the time and said that the depiction was dead on.

New episode tonight so maybe the thread will be getting more traffic very soon. So far I am more impressed with "Fish" than I thought I would be.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I really liked tonight's episode (3/5). It was a enjoyable weaving of multiple crimes. And it was a nice touch to have the voice message from Grissom. I wonder if he actually recorded that for this episode.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I honestly don't remember if there was another episode that mentioned Nick's birthday, which the message could have been pulled from if Petersen didn't record it for this.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
200th episode tonight!

I just caught up on this season via CBS.com. While it's sad to see Grissom's departure, I think Langston has been a nice fit to the show.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I wish it wasn't dealing with Mexican Wrestling

Didn't care much for that element in an episode of "ANGEL" either.
Just not my thing.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I thought the episode was fairly good, but didn't live up to the "200th episode" hype. (For that matter there was nothing about the direction that I thought set it apart very much from the average CSI episode - and what there was took the form of "look at me, I'm directing" tricks, which I loathe. Of course, I felt the same way about the last episode Friedkin directed.)

I was mildly disappointed that they didn't find a way to include Grissom in the episode. I had sort of hoped that they would have some bug-related angle that would justify getting him on the phone, or even a satellite link from a university or police agency near wherever he is in the rain forest.

But it was a good showcase for Fishburne, which is what a big episode in this season needed to be.

Regards,

Joe

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big fan of that type of thing either but I actually liked Friedkin's "flourishes" in this one. I don't want to see the show do that every episode but I liked the change of pace. I liked that this was a grittier story than usual for CSI. Plus, seeing Fishburne and Paul Guilfoyle get a good amount of screen time together was cool.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I liked the episode as well, but like Joe said, definitely not the 200th episode hype.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
4/9/09- That was one of the better sets of crimes this season. Deaths that all occurred and connected by falling objects, people and poisons.

Looks like Langston has his own Grissom like knowledge that helps him figure out the causes of the deaths.

The trailer for next week looks like fun for Star Trek fans. Of it will be a really goofy episode. They even use the Star Trek font for the CSI logo.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

It's supposed to be more of a "Battlestar Galactica" connection, as two of that show's writers now write for this - Bradley Thompson and David Weddle. They got their start on "Deep Space Nine", and DS9 exec/Battlestar exec Ronald D. Moore will appear as himself in this episode.

Now, having never watched that Battlestar show, any references to it will be totally lost on me but seeing Moore make a cameo will be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks