What's new

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Season 9 (mild early season spoilers) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just got a chance to watch the episode last night and I was impressed. I wish it had taken a little longer to solve the case so it would have felt bigger. However, that could have been too similar to the Miniature Killer case (the crime happens, they think the one guy did it, they stop him, they investigate a little more, find out another person is involved and then catch that person too) so maybe it's better that they ended the story right out of the gate.

I loved Grissom's eulogy at the end. Petersen really brought his A game for that scene.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
With Laurence Fishburn coming in this season, my guess is they want to focus the story arc on his new character and not this tragedy of losing Warrick. They want to downplay it and focus maybe more on the after-affects of his death, and how it affects the team.
If they focus too much on Grissom and try to make a story arc for this season on Worrick's death, people might think this is the end of the series.
Better to introduce Fishburn early in the season and have Peterson slip out, maybe not quietly, but not be the big highlight, showing the crimes just continue and the team moves on.
I, too would have preferred a long story arc on this subject but will understand if they do not, or at least have Fishburn's new character complete it.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
In the promos, you can hear Gil say, "Oh, my God!" with more emotion and anguish in his voice than we've ever heard from him on the show. But I don't recall that line in the show itself. I have it DVR'd so I can check it again when I'm home, but can anyone confirm that it was there? It was a really great reading and gave me a chill when I first heard it.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The line was something like "Warrick! Oh, god..." It was a bit more subtle, and said as soon as Grissom was pulling him out of the car.

They're promos, so obviously there's going to be differences. Happens all the time, not just in movie trailers.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
If anyone has time to, I'd suggest watching the season 1 episode "Too Tough To Die" as a refresher for tonight's episode.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I actually started watching CSI from the beginning a few weeks before the season premiere, in anticipation of some of the changes I knew were coming this season. "Too Tough to Die" is one of several episodes I was hoping would get some kind of call-back before the show ends, especially since Sara is back for a "visit". (Another, which I'm sure won't happen, is "Organ Grinder", in which Marcia Cross played a gold-digging wife who gets away with murder.)

I like it when a show remains aware of its own history, as when "Dutch Boy" stuck the knife into Warrick over Holly Gribbs during his interrogation last season. I'd also love to see Anna and Lori (who got caught half-naked with a head in the trunk of their stolen car in season 1's "Evaluation Day" and returned 5 years later as patrons of a dead psychic in "Spellbound") come back at least one more time. Am I right in remembering that Melinda Clarke is scheduled to return as Lady Heather? Grissom could hardly leave Las Vegas without seeing her one more time... ;)

Regards,

Joe

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
My initial spoiler-concealed guest cast list is 100% accurate in the first post of the thread, which will answer your question.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Props to you for revisiting season 1, something I will never do unless I can see it in widescreen a second time.

Instead I've been watching some of the extras from the recently released eighth season, out two days ago on DVD.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Grissom pushing the dead gambling addicts knees back together after the postmortem swab was a subtly creepy touch.

Hey! Grissom's got something on a swab, wonder. . uh, . . . oh.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I looked away just he was doing that and I am glad I did. I used to DVR this while watching the Office. This year my wife and I decided to watch CSI and DVR the Office. I am enjoying this season of CSI, so far. It will be very interesting to see how the show fares after Grissom leaves.

mylan

Screenwriter

Creepy yes, but David picking up the jumper's leg from the top of the bus, now that was just gross!

It looks like Nick may be next in line to deliver the opening pun: "She should've taken the elevator"...

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The opening credits are back in the 4:3 title safe area after extending past it last season.

The revised sequence is a bit too slow, and almost didn't fit the song.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The scene where Grissom and Sara were discussing the case that Sara worked on in the first season and their disagreement about whether the husband pulled the plug was obviously meant to have a double meaning. I am usually not too dense to pick up on it, but my read is that Grissom realized that like the husband, he needed the girl to leave first before he could move on. That's how it read to me, and then the last shot shows Sara leaving.

They seemed to be telegraphing some sort of plan in the first act where Sara and Grisson where lying in bed together, rather chastely too. Sara had enough of the CSI life which was why she left. And she was trying to get Grissom to go away with her. I suppose that was the first clue that Grissom was going to leave, but will he leave for her and with her. Or is he going to move away to do some other work? And obviously he has to rebuild the crew now that Warrick and Sara are gone before he moves on.

This is starting to feel like the show's last season.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
They need to establish his leaving, paving the way for Laurence Fishburne to step in. This week's upcoming episode finally introduces the newest member of the team, Riley Adams. Yet another step forward.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Arrrgh!!!

One of my cousins is in town at her condo for the month, and I went there after dinner Thursday night for coffee and cake. So I wan't home to watch the show "live". When I came home, I fired up the DVR and discovered that my local CBS affiliate was having trouble with the DD audio feed for most of the first half of the episode. There was no dialogue whatsoever, only sound effects and music! They had lost the center channel. I kept fast-forwarding through the show with the same result. About 25 minutes in they switched to the SD feed on the HD channel and the sound came back. After the next commercial break the HD signal was back, this time with full sound. This sort of thing does bode well for the all-digital switch in February. :D If I'd been watching the show live on Thursday, I could have switched to the SD feed and at least continued to follow the plot. That won't be an option next year.

Luckily CSI is one of the shows that Comcast offer in HD through their on-demand service, so I'm watching it now. :D

Yeah - given that Sara asked, "Who are we talking about?", I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. It will be interesting to see where this goes. They actually started laying the ground work for Grissom's departure when he took his sabbatical. Warrick's death and Sara's suggestion give Grissom two powerful reasons for leaving, but he's not ready to do it yet. He'd like Sara to stay, but she can't. She can't be a CSI anymore, or even stay in Vegas with Grissom as long as he is, because being in his life will inevitably expose her to his work, and she just can't handle that any more.

At the very least he needs to put the lab back on its feet, as you suggest. Once he does that, I think maybe he will follow Sara and see where that new life takes him.

Regards,

Joe

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
When I saw last weeks episode with woman jumping out of the window in her bikini, it flashed back to me: there is a Columbo episode where a woman jumps out of a window by hypnosis. I'll check TV.com and see if no one here remembers it.

UPDATE: Other people are pointing to Columbo Season 4 "A Deadly state of mind". I haven't seen that episode since
it ran on network TV, but wikipedia mentions Lesley Ann Warren jumping off a balcony by hypnosis and I think that's the one.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I remember the Columbo because the police were thinking it was a suicide but Columbo wondered why did she put all her clothes neatly to one side as if she were going for a swim? I think she put on a bathing suit, too but it was so long ago, I can't exactly remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks