What's new

CS+ or PC+? Can't decide (1 Viewer)

Kevin Law

Auditioning
Here's the situation: I have an Adcom GFA-555II that I'm not currently using, so I figured I'd buy a CS+ and use the Adcom to power it. However, I happened to check the going price for the Adcom on Ebay, and I could sell it, use some of the extra money to buy a PC+ and still have a hundred or two left over plus have one less component to deal with. Otherwise, if I go the CS+ route, I'll either bridge it to power the sub, or maybe use the extra channel to power my center speaker (JBL N-Center) since my Pioneer 811S has pre-outs. I just can't make up my mind! Opinions, anyone?

Kevin

BruceLongee

Agent
Well, one advantage of using the Adcom to power a CS+ is if you decide you want another subwoofer in the future, you just have to buy another CS+ and use the Adcom to power it as well, instead of buying the built-in amp in the PC+.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
The plus seems to be the [email protected] have the 2039pci, and that thing kicks...I'd lean that way myself...less shit to deal with, and I'd be hardpressed to believe you'd lose anything doing it:)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The Adcom is one fine amp. If I owned one, I'd keep it, whether it was currently being used or not.

With that said, if you ARE willing to sell the Adcom - I say do it and buy the PC+.

You get a 525W BASH amp with a 4 position subsonic filter and infinitely variable 0-180 phase control - features you cannot get with the CS+/Adcom combo unless you purchase the separate SVS01 Bass Box by Marchand and the associated interconnect.

Regards,

Ed

Sean Carter

Stunt Coordinator
If you sell the Adcom and go w/the PC+, plus get a few extra bucks out of it, I'd spend the extra money on a parametric eq like the BFD.

The best thing I did for my system was add a quality subwoofer(CS Ultra) and the 2nd best thing I did was add a par. eq.

Kevin Law

Auditioning
It does seem that the PC+ offers more features and simplifies setup. However Edward has a great point about the Adcom. It's a great amp and I've been quite happy with it since I bought it 10 years go when I was 17 years old. At this point I am leaning towards keeping it and getting the CS+, then adding the BFD and possibly the SVS01 down the road.

Kevin

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
If you're planning to get the 16-49 then I say keep the Adcom and get the CS+.

If you're wanting the 25-31 then I'd be tempted to get the PC+ for the rumble filter. BFD or SVS01 would certainly suffice, but I wouldn't think that a very cost effective route. And why would you ever need both a BFD and an SVS01? Can't the BFD do everything the SVS01 can and more?

MarcVH

Second Unit
No, the BFD doesn't have a variable phase setting or a rumble filter. Or active gain, for that matter.

Tarry

Auditioning
What is an SVS01? I cant fined it any where on the web site.
Sorry to barge in.

Thanks
Tarry

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I shoulda remembered the phase adjustment. But doesn't the BFD have the ability to create a rumble filter with its fully adjustable filters? And I also though it could gain the signal by 10 or so dB which should be enough.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads up on the Marchand unit guys, Those have really been flying out the door lately and we'll be out of stock on them for another week or so.

Tom V.
SVS

MarcVH

Second Unit
No, BFD cannot do a 16 Hz rumble filter, because you can't set a filter that low. Some people claim that at 20 Hz it has a brick wall and anything below that is passed through unfiltered, although I've also heard it claimed otherwise.

I guess BFD could do a sort of a gain with a broad adjustment. The BFD has settings for both home and pro voltage levels, but unfortunately you can't set the input to one and the output to another.

Kevin Law

Auditioning
So I guess, ideally, you could use both to tweak the sub. I wonder though, even with the 25-31+, if it's neccesary in most cases to get the svs01?

Kevin

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I wonder though, even with the 25-31+, if it's neccesary in most cases to get the svs01?
If you go with any PC+, the SVS01 Marchand Bass Box will not be needed. The PC+ Indigo amp has a 4 position (25,20,16,12) SS filter, and the SVS01 has a three position (25, 20, 15) filter.

The PC+ amp has infinitely variable (0-180) phase control, and so does the SVS01.

The SVS01 provides up to 18 dB of signal gain, but this feature is only intended for correcting the rare (but troublesome when it occurs) voltage/impedance mismatch between the sub pre-out of a typical AVR and a pro-grade or touring style amp. The PC+ Indigo plate amp line level inputs are specifically designed to match-up well with the typical AVR sub pre-out signal and additional signal gain will not be required.

The only benefit I can see with the SVS01 is it has the capability of controlling two passive subwoofers. The SS filter and the gain affects both subs equally, and the variable phase control would affect only one sub, whereas the other would remain fixed at 0 degrees.

Bottom line - if you go powered (PC+), you definitely won't need the SVS01. If you go passive (CS+), the SVS01 is a very good idea and provides essentially the same features and flexibility as the PC+.

Kevin Law

Auditioning
To Ryan's point, I'm planning on getting the 25-31, although I definitely plan on trying the 20hz tune with the port plug. Would the lack of having a SS filter in the 25-31CS+ be an issue in most circumstances?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
A vented subwoofer lacks restoring force below it's tuning point, as compared to, say, an acoustic suspension design. This lack of restoring force will allow the woofer to bottom out below its tuning point if there is sufficient signal content present and the playback level is high enough.

Certainly, if you are not going to be pushing the subwoofer hard, a lack of SS filter won't be much of a problem. If you will be taking it to near its limits, a subsonic filter is cheap insurance compared to replacing a blown dB12 driver.

The reason SVS recommends an SS filter on the CS+ and includes one on the PC+ is because they are EXPECTING the owners to run them hard on occasion.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Kevin, you could buy the ART-351 for about 100.00 and get the ability to boost your signal by up to 12db's. The art 351 also has a rumble filter as well as the ability to eq the sub if needed. That is what I went with for my twin cs+'s.

Users who are viewing this thread