What's new

CRT HD TV's that upconvert (1 Viewer)

sethM

Auditioning
Hoe can I tell by the manufacturer's description if their TV upconverts a non HD signal to HDTV like quality? Or do ALL HD CRT's do this? expecially those with a built in tuner?

(yes I am new to this).
I am toying with a CRT vs a LCD (32") TV when I do not have HD reception- I have regular Direct TV at the moment.

Thx

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
All HDTV's upconvert SDTV source material but how well they do it varies all over the map and it is usually impossible to find out without auditioning.

If the set is advertised with Silicon Image or Faroudja de-interlacing it is one of the better quality sets for SDTV.

The picture is always smoother then on a true SDTV set of the same size but the resolution relative to the original source is never greater than on a top grade SDTV set.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

sethM

Auditioning
Allan,
Thanks.
Out of the box and being that I do not have HD Satellite, would a HD CRT be a better choice versus a HD LCD flat screen? I keep going back and forth on this and I am having a hard time finding a good source on the web for clarity.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Depends on if you are limited by space or money. The HD CRT will have better blacks than the LCD ... but the LCD will likely be able to handle higher resolutions than the crt.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks