What's new

CRT- HD Choices (1 Viewer)

willyTass

Supporting Actor
You Americans need a slap across the Face

Beg, borrow or steal , do what ever it takes to grab an XBR960 while u can as Blu ray and HD-DVD are going to allow 1080i /1080P over component.

To beat that picture quality would require a Toshiba SED at 4 times the cost and god knows when they will arrive.

The XBR960's are still around if you look hard enough.

In australia they stopped inporting them cause aussies don't know their dick from their arse and prefer "state-of the- art" televisions such as LCD/plasma.

You will not find better picture quality than a Super Fine Pitch Sony.

I have heard rumours that some XBR's are made in Mexico and some in Japan- needless to say pay the premium to get Japanese quality control

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
What size screen is the XBR960? The Blu-Ray from Sony and the other HD format from Toshiba are both going to be available soon--if not already. Are they both going to allow 1080p over component video? How will this work with a three year old Toshiba RPTV? Is 1080p displayed differently on these sets than the existing 1080i? Doesn't progressive scan produce the 1080 lines out of half that many lines in the source material? This may need a new thread.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
almost but not identical. Either is fine I guess.

Dick

The early HD-DVD players will be 1080i over component

The pioneer Blu ray player( and a few others) will be 1080p over component

Mind you the electron gun of the Sony Super Fine pitch TV's are only capable of "sending" 1080 lines as an interlaced picture.

To See the difference between 1080i and 1080p you would need a magnifying glass.

i am not familiar with the TOSH RPTV model you have but all RPTV televisions look SHIT compared with a sony Super Fine Pitch TV.

Provided your Toshiba has wide-bandwidth component video in plugs and can support a high definition picture you'll be fine

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I Sit about 7 feet away, and this thing has amazing color. The only downside is watching HDTV. After watching HD discovery and NFL, i dont want to watch anything else. Even DVD's dont compare with 1080i. But unfortunately i hear that they are no longer available on JandR. But i would totally recommend this tv to anyone.

James Freeland

Auditioning
If I were you, I would look into the Sammy CRT. I work at Best Buy in the HT department and I know all about Sony Super Fine Pitch and I think that the Samsung TXR3079WH is just as good a TV, if not better. The Pro Chip Plus technology looks great.

I have Monster Ultra 800 components hooked up to my Sammy at home and the same cables are hooked up to the Sony XBRs and the XS955 and the PQ is identical to the Sammy.

Plus it is slimmer and sleeker.

That's just my opinion, but Sony is not necessarily the best TV out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks