What's new

CRT, DLP, LCD, D-ILA-- Pros & Cons, for the record!!! (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
LCDs CAN BURN IN. Maybe it isn't caused the same way as on the phosphor devices, but it is the same effect.

Seriously, read over on AVSforum. One of the MODERATORS had his flat panel LCD TV burn in. It wasn't temporary image retention. It was actually burnt in permanently. He even tried the unplugging it for a week solution - nope, still burnt in. This wasn't some J6P report - it was a knowledgeable AVSforum moderator.

People keep parroting "LCDs are burn in proof" because many sources say that (including some manufacturers). Seriously, for those of you that choose to disbelieve us, do some googling on laptop LCDs and burn-in if you don't believe those of us that have heard the reports. If you hunt around you will find people that have worked in datacenters that have seen burnt-in LCDs.

It's rare, much rarer than on CRTs and seems to take more abuse, but it does happen. You can't say it in absolute terms.

And the risk of burn-in on a GOOD modern plasma is neglible now, probably on par with a CRT RPTV. As the previous poster noted, Panasonic and other other higher-rate plasma manufacturers are reporting CRT-level burn resistance. Given a good calibration and some babying in the first hundred hours, and no blatant abuse (the same kind of blatant abuse that causes CRT RPTV burn in), burn-in shouldn't be a problem.

Now get a cheapass Whosie-fitsu plasma from god-knows-what company...no guarantees there.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

No maybe about it, "burn-in" should be referred to as permanent image retention when dealing with LCDs, and not burn in, which is really specific to the wear, involving heat and time, of the phosphors on a display that uses phosphors. Obviously LCDs do not use phosphors.

You go on to allude that plasmas don't have a burn-in problem, but they certainly do. Your statements are confusing.

The simplistic answer is this, as I indicated: phosphor-based displays are susceptible to wear of the phosphors over time. This varies, with projection CRTs being the most prone to burn in and wear due to how hard the phosphors are driven. With responsible use, the lifetime of a projection CRT display should be many many thousands of hours still.

LCDs, LCOS, may have *some* slight risk of permanent image retention, but it is so rare as to be pretty much not a problem as I indicated. It is *FAR* more negligible than the risk of wear on a plasma. A plasma *WILL* wear over time, period.

LCDs may or may not suffer problems like this, they really don't wear the same way. I suppose constant extreme voltages applied to certain pixels may cause long-term retention problems, but again, all my readings and experience would put this in the rare and negligible category.

Alludind otherwise, but also claiming that plasma wear is negligible, is hypocritical, and confusing to people reading the thread.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I will repeat the quote that Steve made earlier in the thread (from Panasonic)

If you do some reading on AVSforum, you will find the same reports. Some are even regular Xbox/PS2 gamers.

Doesn't seem confusing to me. I was pretty clear. LCDs can burn in (or whatever you would like to call it), but it's very rare. Plasmas from a good manufacturer are no more likely to burn in than a CRT RPTV.

Someone tell me if it is confusing somehow.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Ok... so maybe there are some instances of LCD flat panels having some type of "burn-in". How about RP-LCD? How about LCD projection of any sort?

Again, all I have read is that in these cases, you would literally have to TRY to destroy it. Under any kind of normal circumstances, this simply will not happen.

If you are going to say that it does, please link proof of burn-in on an LCD RP set.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Pertaining to LCD, I would characterize it like this:

I would say that plasmas are probably *less* prone to burn in than projection CRTs. In any case, it is not negligable, and is certainly a much more certain risk than with LCD displays. Phosphor displays will wear, period. With proper use, the wear will occur over very long periods of time, and be relatively negligible with video viewing, and will vary by display and type. Improper use can make burn-in quite certain.

LCDs image retention will be pretty much negligible in even the most abusive environments. Big difference.

BobbyD

Auditioning
Hi All,

I don't know what all the fuss is here - but Chris Wiggles is more correct. LCD panels have a half-life ten (10) times greater than Plasma screens.

LCDs degrade by a completely different process than phosphor-based displays, and you will most likely never notice any degradation in normal ownership. LCD projectors are more prone to degradation than flat panel LCDs, but still less so than phosphor-based.

Plasma screens and normal CRTs are both phosphor-based and will both suffer burn-in, regardless of whether a "newer" plasma does so a little slower than older ones.

D-ILA and DLP projectors are the most resistant to degradation of all types. A lot was made of this earlier this year, after studies by TI and JVC were released.

Everyone cool now?

In terms of picture quality from a more subjective level, I prefer D-ILA, as the picture is super-smooth, with no distracting black lines (as in LCD and DLP). If D-ILA did not exist, I would choose CRT, but it would have to be bright and offer very sharp inter-pixel changes.

Users who are viewing this thread