What's new

Crossover settings on Onkyo TX-SR501? (1 Viewer)

BrianWH

Agent
Hey guys,

I finally have my first real HT set up and working, and I've been fiddling with settings, positioning, etc.

I have the Onkyo TX-SR501 receiver and I love it, but rather than a SMALL/LARGE setting for the crossover, it has options of 60, 80, 100, 120, and 150Hz, which is nice. But this begs the question:

Considering the following speakers and their rated response, what crossover setting should I choose for the receiver?

(All are Boston Acoustics models)
Mains: CR65 rated 65Hz-20kHz
Center: CRC rated 80Hz-20kHz
Rears: CR55 rated 80Hz-20kHz
Subs: VR500 rated 27Hz-100Hz
(All responses +/- 3dB)

I have my two subs at max crossover (100Hz).

If I turn off the subs at the receiver, the CR's really put out an admirable amount of bass for their size, so I tend to believe these ratings are accurate.

Thanks for the help,
Brian

My Home Theater

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
I would suggest 100 Hz if you can only set one crossover frequency for all speakers set to small. I tried to find your subwoofer on BA's website, but could not. Did you mean PV500?

The reason I ask is because most Boston subs have a "bypass crossover" input, which I suggest you use, so that your subwoofer's crossover does not interfere with your receiver's bass management.

100 Hz is just a suggestion. Experiment to find out what sounds best to you.

BrianWH

Agent
The VR500 is discontinued and does not have the bypass line-in connection, so that's why I have the crossover set all the way up, so the receiver can control the crossover.

Further, rather than the small/large setting per speaker (fronts, center, rears) the reciever has subwoofer "modes" 1-2-3 that tell the sub to fire for all speakers or just for rears and center. This setting and the single crossover setting takes the place of the small/large setting as far as I can tell.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Brian

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Brian, just in case you don't know yet, mode 1 is all speakers "small" #2 is center and surrounds small and #3 is LFE only (all large). What I would do, since your surrounds only go down to 80 hz, is set the mode to 1 or 2 and the crossover at 100. I don't like pushing things to their max (my Fiat 124 is rated to 106 MPH but I never cruise over 80). BTW I have an HT-500. Simular to yours but I lose a little flexability, no comp switching and only 3 crossover settings, but gain power, 100 WPC instead of 65. I have mine set to mode 1 and cross at 100. Have fun, Gene

BrianWH

Agent
Thanks Gene!

I understood the sub modes 1 and 2. I didn't know that 3 meant large all around. I have been bouncing between settings of 80Hz and 100Hz trying to decide which I like better. Music seems to sound better when the mains are doing their best (80Hz setting) and movies seem better when you leave all the low frequencies to the sub (100Hz).

Brian

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, I agree that music sound much better with a lower crossover setting. I often re-set mine to #2/80 for music, but be carefull with movies. I'd hate to see an on-screen explosion quickly followed by one in your living room! You know, blown speakers! Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks