What's new

Crossover and settings (1 Viewer)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I ran into a few situations regarding crossover and settings of receiver. First of, I have a pioneer 1014 and a Sealed Tempest sub. My main speakers rating down to 38hz, my center and surround speakers are down to 70hz. I'm trying to tweak my system to have the best settings possible. Here are my situations:

1. Receiver crossover at 80hz, sub crossover at max = boomy/too much bass. (all speakers = small, sub = yes)

2. Receiver xover at 50, sub xover at max = less boomy (still not satisfy w/ the boominess... all speakers = small, sub = yes)

3. Receiver xover at 80hz, sub xover at 80hz = better compared w/ 1 and 2 above (all speakers = small, sub = yes)

4. receiver xover at 50hz, sub xover at 50hz (roughly)... The result is good. (all speakers = small, sub = yes)

5. receiver xover at 50hz, sub xover at 50hz. Main speakers = large, sub yes. LFE --> both. This combo sounds the best to me. But what concern me is that I might miss some bass from center/surrounds in the region 50hz - 70hz, since my center/surrounds are only go down to 70hz.

What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advanced.

Al,

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Since there is no perfect solution you have to pick the best compromise and #5 seems to be it. The problematic presence of boominess outweighs anything you may be loosing in your center and surrounds between 50-70. Play around a little more and then go with #5.

Trust your ears.

Artie

Max F

Second Unit
I would suggest getting a BFD (do a search), and bring down those peaks that cause boominess in your room.

I assume that you cannot have separate xovers for the mains and the surrounds?

You might try setting the xover on the reciever and sub to around 80 and set the mains to large. See how that sounds... maybe try turning down the bass a few dbs (which is probably frowned apon by the audiophyles - oh well...).

BFD is the great though - highly recommended.:emoji_thumbsup:

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. I will try the xover at 80hz for both receiver and sub. I figured that BFD will take care of lil issue here... But the Xmas season hit me hard...I'm outta $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks