What's new

Criterion to re release Charade in April (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
What I'd like to know is how the new Criterion compares to the Truth About Charlie version of Charade (in terms of picture quality).

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, who would've thought that a new anamorphic transfer would look worse than the old non-anamorphic.

And there is no comparison of the Criterion 16:9 version and the Truth About Charlie 16:9 version on that site, which would be helpful, but from what I can tell, it looks like the transfer is the same on both.

At least, the Criterion is just as washed out as the Truth About Charlie version.

Too bad. I guess I won't be double-dipping after all.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hmm...I'm seeing things almost the opposite as you Jough.

If you look around the edges of the non-ana, you'll see aliasing which I assume is the result of scaling it to the same dimensions. This is the inherent advantage if you have a 16:9 display.

To me, the Criterion looks more color accurate than the Truth About Charlie and there is more detail in some of the shots (e.g. the mountain scene).

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Jough on this one. When comparing the old Criterion and the new Criterion, the old one looks better and brighter. And yes, I wish someone would compare the new Criterion with the Universal version. That will be the make-or-break criterion for me. Pun intended! :D

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I bought 'The Truth About Charlie' version just to get CHARADE in anamorphic widescreeen. I must say, this version looks very good indeed. It's hard to imagine Criterion bettering it (other than the sparse extras on it's version) Although I agree with some previous posts in this thread, that's it's a bit annoying to have someone who's not a fan of the film (like at DVDFile) review it, I couldn't give a crap what they thought of the film itself. I'm more interested in learning about what they thought of the quality of the film image, transfer, sound etc... I'm going to stay with the 'flip side' of 'The Truth About Charlie' version. For those who don't have this, well, I can't blame you for picking up the Criterion version. Enjoy the movie in either version. I think it's a classic. Grant, Hepburn, Mathau... are you kidding? What a cast!

-Mike

Chris Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
Well... judging from the sceen shots linked, I think I'll hold on to my original Criterion release. I was really looking forward to replacing my non-animorphic disc, but now I'm not so sure.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from the criterion site

After being unavailable for nearly three years, Criterion's DVD of Stanley Donen's classic spy thriller Charade is coming back in print. The Charade re-release will feature an all-new 16x9-enhanced high-definition digital transfer, in addition to all the supplements featured on the original release. The new edition will be in stores on April 6 and will retail for $39.95. Owners of Criterion's original DVD release of Stanley Donen's Charade may purchase the upcoming 16x9-enhanced re-release for $15 dollars off the suggested retail price, plus $4.95 shipping and handling for U.S. residents, by clicking here https://www.quikey-c.com/criterion/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks