What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
cineMANIAC said:
In a way, I'm glad 5,000-seat megatheaters don't exist anymore. Can you imagine thousands of bright cell phone/iPad screens flickering throughout the auditorium? And people talking, getting up and walking around, babies crying. It would be like attending a sporting event at a stadium. No thanks.
Agreed--when I recall screenings at Radio City Music Hall it was one big collective happy movie-watching event without complications. Little did I appreciate it back then! Though maybe not in the same league as a comedy (though it definitely has its moments--and Buddy Hackett too!) I recall seeing Disney's THE LOVE BUG at a packed Radio City Easter Show, and there's nothing like 5,000 people roaring with laughter!

:lol:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Just thinking back to the full houses roaring with laughter at "ordinary" films like CACTUS FLOWER, WHAT'S UP, DOC?, FOR PETE'S SAKE, BLAZING SADDLES, etc., is sweet. I'm fortunate to at least remember being at the roadshow MW and of having that same expectant, appreciative audience as at MY FAIR LADY, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, etc., all around me.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Charles Smith said:
Just thinking back to the full houses roaring with laughter at "ordinary" films like CACTUS FLOWER, WHAT'S UP, DOC?, FOR PETE'S SAKE, BLAZING SADDLES, etc., is sweet. I'm fortunate to at least remember being at the roadshow MW and of having that same expectant, appreciative audience as at MY FAIR LADY, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, etc., all around me.
Actually saw WHATS UP DOC? at the Radio City Music Hall on trip to New York. Also saw FIDDLER ON THE ROOF at the Rivioli. Little did I realize 20 years or so later I would be be working for UA Theatres and part of the Theatres demise. A shameful part of my life. IAMMMMW was during its re-release in a full 600 seat theatre. The laughter was catching and I had to go back and see it again to catch lines I missed.

Danilo S.

Agent
cineMANIAC said:
In a way, I'm glad 5,000-seat megatheaters don't exist anymore. Can you imagine thousands of bright cell phone/iPad screens flickering throughout the auditorium? And people talking, getting up and walking around, babies crying. It would be like attending a sporting event at a stadium. No thanks.
Times changing and sometime in a bad way.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well I guess the anticipation is keeping us quite. Took the iPad to work to day to keep up with the what's going on. I'm just ready for something a little less serious.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, Allen I guess we are about to do enter another day of nail-biting
anticipation.

Fortunately I am off from work today, and have enough of you keeping
an eye on Criterion's site that I don't need to stay glued to the computer.

I'll be checking my email every few minutes.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Ronald Epstein said:
Yeah, Allen I guess we are about to do enter another day of nail-biting
anticipation.

Fortunately I am off from work today, and have enough of you keeping
an eye on Criterion's site that I don't need to stay glued to the computer.

I'll be checking my email every few minutes.
So ... to recap ... you're tied to your phone but not your computer?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm sure you will be able to tell from the spontaneous fireworks in your neighborhood that the announcement has been made, Ron.
Nah, in my neighborhood I am the crazy hermit tied to his computer who when
at public places, walks around with a shopping cart muttering all kinds of nonsense
about aspect ratios and the lack of pop-out on 3D.

Nobody around here shares my love for this hobby nor cares. That's why this forum
has been such a great place to run. I am among friends who can almost make sense
of my nonsensical ramblings.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I'd like to think that sometime, maybe 10 or 20 years from now, there'd be something I could laugh at... Anything.....

(Will someone please throw out a banana peel!) :banana:

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
cineMANIAC said:
I was a senior in high school when I first saw MW roadshow release in San Diego. I am sure other baby boomers remember going to one of these reserved seats events we dressed up with coat and ties just like going to an opera, concert or Broadway show. Since we pre-bought our tickets and picked out what row and seat we wanted, we didn't have the hassle of finding good seats when entering the theater. As I remember we could get layouts of the seats and when I made reservations, they were always for the choice middle seats and if they were taken, I would reserve for a later date. Our family mostly went to the 8:00 pm showing and would make a night of it, with dinner at a fairly upscale eatery. We made sure we were in our seats for the Overture and stayed seated until the exit music was finished. I sent my pop out for snacks at intermission. Those memories will always be with me.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Moe Dickstein said:
Gee, do you think there would be enough members in the Tri-State area for that?

Are you suggesting the film nuts are all on the West Coast? :P

Even if it's a small group of 10 or so people it would still be cool to meet people who post on here.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Seems like the great majority of us are, in fact, on the East Coast, judging by how dead it gets in here at night when I'm still rarin' to go and would expect plenty of activity from those in the western states. That's just anecdotal evidence, of course, so refute away! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks