What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (2 Viewers)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
JohnMor said:
Yeah, Joe, I am sure that's exactly what he was referring to... a murdered child. Because that happens every day in someone's life. :rolleyes:
You so missed my point, it makes me sick. The only time one has to force oneself to be happy is when something bad happens, and ......... OH NEVER MIND!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Steve Tannehill said:
Maybe someone can play around with the Criterion website like Thief and find a reference to Mad World....
That trick only works for one film at a time, because you're using the link at the bottom of the highest spine number to get to the next number which isn't announced yet and doesn't have a live page.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ok then maybe someone can hack their servers and find out. Anyone work for the NSA?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe they are delaying the release so they can sync it up with a good number.What's coming up 725, 750.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Joe Lugoff said:
Or at the Warner on Broadway in NYC, where it opened November 17, 1963. In the New York Times review the running time is given as 192 minutes. The review is highly favorable (the movie made the critic's Ten Best List at the end of the year), but the last paragraph says, "The only trouble with the whole thing is that it runs too long. There is simply too much wild confusion, too much repetition of similar things. There comes a time when the senses and the risibilites cry stop." I believe it was comments like that, even in the positive reviews, that inspired Kramer to cut the movie as drastically as he did.

Even so, I vote with those who want as much as possible to be restored. Number One on my movie wish list is to see IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD restored to its original 192 minute roadshow version. The extra scenes, cut before the movie opened, should be included as extras. (Speaking of which -- a couple of years ago, I watched a deleted scene online that wasn't even on the laserdisc. It was in the park where Monica said she'd try to find the Big W by spinning around, but she got dizzy and fell and rolled down a hill. If anyone knows what website that was on, please let me know. I'd like to see that again.)
I saw IAMMMW at the Warner on Broadway when I was in junior high school. My father had an office on Broadway and 48th st and I would go see a roadshow movie and then go home with him. Most of the reports that I've read about the film in recent years claim that when the film was cut, they no longer played the police calls during the intermission. I remember hearing those police calls, but I doubt I saw it in the first four weeks. I suppose it's possible I went to see it over Thanksgiving, which would have put me in that timeframe, but it's much more likely that I didn't see it until Christmas week or possibly not until April of 1964, during Easter week.

I remember that for most big roadshow pictures, I was never in a rush to see anything because the films would play for up to a year.

If I knew what was in the cut scenes, maybe I would remember if I saw those.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I had a look over at Criterion forum to see if there was anything we haven't heard yet, instead those snobs are still fuming over this title and they even mention a few people on here as well. It's sad and hilarious at the same time to here what their moaning about.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
darkrock17 said:
I had a look over at Criterion forum to see if there was anything we haven't heard yet, instead those snobs are still fuming over this title and they even mention a few people on here as well. It's sad and hilarious at the same time to here what their moaning about.
Boy they really are a bunch of snobs that think they don't stink. Hope the announcement is tomorrow so they can go back complaining that there is not new foreign classic that film lovers can not be nostalgic about. Mercy I love the foreign classics and own a lot of them on Blu and DVD from Criterion but I also love I MARRIED A WITCH, TO BE OR NOT TO BE, LA CAGE AUX FOLLIS, THE UNINVITED and IAMMMMW. Reading those guys posts none of those films are up to their standards. I may not agree with everyone's post and they don't agree with me, but damn there is not that hate over here. Glad I spend my time here.I also want to thank Moe D for being the only sane poster over there.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
If you're talking about that forum that uses Criterion's name, I don't believe it actually has anything to do with Criterion, and yes, it's the second sorriest Blu-ray forum on the Internet - maybe even at times the first. I went there briefly in the old Doug Sirk brouhaha days and it was so offensive and peopled by such idiots I could not return.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Frankly, as a member of both forums, the extreme love/hate expressed over this film on one side or the other seems like overkill. I get that people are passionate pro or con, but good grief there's been a lot of virtual ink spilled over this one release. :P(Posting the exact same thing in both forums. I have equal :rolleyes: across the boards).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks