Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 26, 2013.

Tags:
?

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

1. I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

119 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

53 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    I gotta say the current bout of internet West Side Story over this has given me a good laugh.

2. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Ron, I was merely responding to the posters numerous jabs at the current release as being half assed or botched or whatever. It is not a reflection upon those who want a definitive version..as do all of us here including myself. Plain and simple the current bluray is an excellent transfer of the theatrical version. That was my only point.

3. Panavision70

Panavision70 Stunt Coordinator

Rick Notch
    One of "a few surprises" could be John Wayne as the fireman who climbs the ladder. At that time the best replacements for Tracy were James Cagney or Edward G. Robinson. Either would have been great.

4. William Ferry

William D. Ferry
    Or, as has been suggested elsewhere...

Jimmy Durante = Buster Keaton ("Smiler" Grogan, yet!)

Sorry, I did the Sterling Holloway - Ed Wynn (the Fire Chief), forgetting that had already been listed. Well, shut my mouth!

ahollis likes this.
  5. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Wait--who was originally supposed to play the fire chief? Was it Ed Wynn?

6. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Agent

Mike Fontanelli
    Re: Ed Wynn as Fire Chief:
    As far as I know, it's only an unsubstantiated theory -- but it's a pretty good one, and probably true. Wynn played a fire chief on his radio show for years, and in at least two tie-in films. The IAMMMMW sequence treats the identity of the Fire Chief as a delayed "reveal," kind of implying it's a "gag" cameo, (like Paul Ford as "the Colonel.") But Sterling Holloway hardly suits the build-up. Could have been Wynn, pure speculation. Bert Lahr would have been fun, too, or Jerry Colonna. Isn't speculation fun?

7. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    That's your opinion but to me and a lot of others on here, it will be viewed as half-assed in terms of effort to be more specific as MGM or whomever decided to put that BD version out could have done a lot better job than what they decided to release lengthwise, NOT transfer-wise. Big difference there. Again, if you like this 154 minute version, then so be it and keep it but they could have tried a lot harder and could have done a better job when they released the thing, in my opinion. Read my follow-up statement to you in the next thread.

8. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    But at the same time, you made it sound as if it was the very best version and release of the film as you never truly clarified that in your original post to me and despite it being the only Blu-Ray version of the product, you need to understand a lot of us still don't have access or capabilities of Blu-ray and we're just as happy with a standard DVD version with extended scenes and footage included. If you so like it so much, then enjoy it to your heart's content and I never said the transfer wasn't bad whatsoever as i heard it was a solid transfer, but it was a lazy effort by MGM when they released this particular version of the film. That's all i was trying to say to you Tino. You misinterpreted what I said. You're welcome.

9. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Exactly Moe. THAT was what I was trying to say to Tino and Haines and others on here all along...the transfer was excellent, no argument from me there, but it was the version they released of the film is where they clearly failed in their efforts, hence the half-assed comment so let's hope Criterion will release a solid roadshow version of the movie in both formats when and if they make their official announcement next month or the month after or sometime during the holidays, as I believe it will be coming out, but probably not until the first quarter of 2014 as a best guestimate. Hoping that clears up what I originally stated and I should have been a little more clearer in what I said. My bad on that one.

10. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    That's ok. You're forgiven. ;)Seriously, we all want the same thing. And we WILL get it I'm sure.

11. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Yes, Cagney would have been an interesting choice. Jack Lemmon easily could've taken the Caesar role, reuniting with THE APARTMENT cast member Edie Adams. Bert Lahr would've made a hilarious biplane pilot (shades of FLYING HIGH!). Always fun to imagine a parallel universe MAD WORLD. I'm a bit stumped who could've replaced Dick Shawn, except maybe Tony Curtis?

I read somewhere that Jackie Mason and Joe Besser were considered for the garage guys.

12. cadavra

cadavra Stunt Coordinator

mike schlesinger
    Mason was indeed offered Roy or Irwin. He had to decline because he could not free himself from night club obligations for the amount of time needed to film the scenes.

Mike S.

13. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Just let Peter Sellers play as many of them as the effects budget would allow.

14. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
    Spencer Tracy~James StewartJames CagneySid Caesar~Red SkeltonEthel Merman~Yvonne DeCarloJudy GarlandMickey Rooney~Alan YoungMilton Berle~Burt LancasterGlenn FordEdie Adams~Debby ReynoldsPhil Silvers~Jerry LewisJonathan Winters~Ernie KovacsTerry Thomas~Stewart GrangerBuddy Hackett~Andy GriffithDorothy Provine~Ann MargaretHeck, just reunite Kramer with the cast from Judgement at Nuremberg....

15. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Red Skelton would've been a natural in this mix. Can't picture Lancaster or Granger adding much hilarity. I also can't think of anyone who could've matched Ethel Merman--absolute genius casting.

I like the Nuremberg angle!

:lol:

16. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

The delay is is due to the fact that the 3- D conversion is taking longer than expected. Can you see it now--the car coming off the cliff---the fire engine ladder twisted and turning.

sidburyjr and Moe Dickstein like this.
  17. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Agent

Mike Fontanelli
    Kovacs was originally signed to play Melville, but was already dead by the time shooting began.

Dick Shawn = Elvis Presley

18. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Now there's a thought--but can't imagine him doing it without a few choruses of "31 Flavors."

19. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    You know, after Mad, Mad World happens, I'd love to see Criterion re-visit West Side Story (another UA title) and fix the Overture.

MatthewA likes this.
  20. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    How about getting the roadshow versions of "Hawaii" and "The Alamo" in HD.

ahollis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.