What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (2 Viewers)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
If this isn't announced Monday, I'm going to go sailing right out there.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
haineshisway said:
No, Joe, the moon is every frame of every shot filmed for the movie whether it was ever in it or not. That is the moon. I think my point, Joe, was very clear and it's even clear out of context: If people don't set their expectations and hopes high then there will be no disappointment - there could even be incredible elation. I don't think that's hard to understand, is it? If you've been reading this thread, you know what people have been wishing for and it's a lot more than a restored version of the original road show version that played for only four weeks back in the day. Maybe you should read the thread from the beginning. I know you feel you're entitled to know everything about everything before the official announcement, but you aren't. The fact that some of us have some knowledge about this makes us terrible know-it-all cretins in your view. Oh, well. We've all been saying the same thing and saying it as gently as possible - be patient and then you'll know what's what. You seem to have been born without the gene of patience but I understand they sell it now over the counter at CVS and I recommend it to you highly, even though there are some serious side effects such as happiness, calmness, and not behaving poorly on a message board. :)
OMG, this is beyond incredible. So I'm supposed to have patience. How come you didn't need to have it? How come you couldn't wait and got someone to tell you the big secret? And how did you manage that, anyway? Do you know where the body's buried -- under a Big W, or something?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
All I can say is I know nothing about this release except that is coming sometime in the next few months (hopefully December but if I have to wait longer, I can wait. While I am forum friends with several that might know more, I give them respect for they are and not able to say a word about what a spokesmen of the company might tell them and they wish to protect the identity of the ones that may have said something the shouldn't (think NSA). They were let in on secrets for they are considered trusted. I can be patient and have no problems waiting for formal announcement. My expectations are for a longer cut of the film, but certainly not the kitchen sink edition. I expect radio calls during intermission and I expect full Overture, Intermission, Entr'acte, end music. I expect a copy of The Documentary of the making of the film along with other bits from the cast talking about the film on TV programs and a booklet on the making and possibly a reproduction of the souvenir book. I'm just taking deep breaths until it is announced. If not announced Monday then i will put it in the back of my mind and wait until it does. I have never been so excited about a movie release on Blu-ray or DVD that it controls me. I have a life.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Joe Lugoff said:
OMG, this is beyond incredible. So I'm supposed to have patience. How come you didn't need to have it? How come you couldn't wait and got someone to tell you the big secret? And how did you manage that, anyway? Do you know where the body's buried -- under a Big W, or something?
Address the issues - I called you out on every point in your e-mail - that you blithely ignore - what else is new? You can either have patience or not have patience - your patience is not really my concern. I merely suggested it as a way to not have a heart attack. I could have waited, no problem, but I didn't have to because I, you know, am in the business and know some of the players. And yes, I know where all the bodies are buried - I have some history with this little movie, having issued its wonderful soundtrack on CD in a beautiful presentation, and I'm one of the few here who actually saw the longer roadshow version that played for only four weeks. I don't want to upset you, but I also know where other bodies are buried - there's one under the Big T and the Big Q, as well.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Paul Rossen said:
The SPARTACUS logo and poster was indeed designed by Saul Bass. That said I doubt that he designed any of the Mad World poster work, even the Cinerama posters. Bass did design the main titles. That said Criterion may use the original iconic posters plus the Jack Davis work.
Here's some Saul Bass art for the movie. I would be just as happy with the Jack Davis art that was tweeted above and fondly remembered from the gatefold LP.

gallery_286742_24_140599.jpg

Jeff Job

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Job
Well, I was hoping for the screening I was at to be the uncut roadshow, but alas, it was the 154 minute version with the Overture and Exit Music. They also rolled Part 2 right after the Intermission card. Too bad, because you could see how Part 1 was designed and edited to have an intermission. This theatre has a hit/miss relationship with intermissions...Ben-Hur had none, but thankfully they had one for Lawrence of Arabia.

In any case, it was good to see this film on a big screen with a decent sized audience.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I couldn't see it either.

But I was able to grab the URL to the image and move things around in your post to make the image visible to everyone else.

I've had a number of image problems in my recent Weekly RoundUp postings...so I've been able to develop a workaround. It's a PITA, but it works.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Doesn't the current Blu-ray have an issue with the Overture being placed to close to the Main Titles? I'd like to see little things like that addressed with whatever Criterion is doing.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
ahollis said:
I'm just taking deep breaths until it is announced. If not announced Monday then i will put it in the back of my mind and wait until it does. I have never been so excited about a movie release on Blu-ray or DVD that it controls me. I have a life.
Well, see that's just it. What's left of my life isn't as long as what's left of yours. In fact, the way my health has been going, if whatever-it-is Criterion is working on comes out a year from now, it might be too late. I've waited half a century for this and I can't wait much longer -- literally!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Today's classic Internet Forum Quote comes from Mr. Haines, addressed to me yesterday:

"... there are some serious side effects such as happiness, calmness, and not behaving poorly on a message board."

This is like a 300-pound man telling someone else to go on a diet. Unless I'm mistaken, and I'm not, Mr. Haines has been banned from so many Internet forums and message boards, he's lost count. I do believe he was once banned from this very forum here, but he got reinstated after promising to behave himself, which I must admit he has. But I couldn't resist pointing out the irony here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This bickering stops here and now.

Stop the personal attacks immediately or members will be removed.

And, Joe, I have said this before and I will say it one last time....

I have been the most finicky individual when it comes to what should
and should not be included on this upcoming release.

It has EXCEEDED my expectations.

Everything I am hearing points to this release being a massive slam-dunk.

It is a labor of love from people that know EXACTLY what the fans have
been asking for and are catering this release specifically with them in mind.

Hopefully an announcement will be made Monday.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Jeff Job said:
Well, I was hoping for the screening I was at to be the uncut roadshow, but alas, it was the 154 minute version with the Overture and Exit Music. They also rolled Part 2 right after the Intermission card. Too bad, because you could see how Part 1 was designed and edited to have an intermission. This theatre has a hit/miss relationship with intermissions...Ben-Hur had none, but thankfully they had one for Lawrence of Arabia.In any case, it was good to see this film on a big screen with a decent sized audience.
I'm going to assume that they ran the Blu-ray since that also does not have the Entr'acte music and just goes directly to the second half.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Neil S. Bulk said:
Doesn't the current Blu-ray have an issue with the Overture being placed to close to the Main Titles? I'd like to see little things like that addressed with whatever Criterion is doing.
Yes, the Overture is cut too close to the opening credits. In fact, the decay is cut off at the end. There should be space of a few seconds in there.

Composer Ernest Gold actually rewrote the music at the intermission point for later non-intermission showings. He eliminated the Chorus singing "Step into the lobby...." and reworked the end of the that cue to flow smoothly into the fuse burning music that opens Part 2.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jeff Job said:
Well, I was hoping for the screening I was at to be the uncut roadshow, but alas, it was the 154 minute version with the Overture and Exit Music. They also rolled Part 2 right after the Intermission card. Too bad, because you could see how Part 1 was designed and edited to have an intermission. This theatre has a hit/miss relationship with intermissions...Ben-Hur had none, but thankfully they had one for Lawrence of Arabia.

In any case, it was good to see this film on a big screen with a decent sized audience.
How dare they! It's unseemly!

RAH

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Professor Echo said:
Here's some Saul Bass art for the movie. I would be just as happy with the Jack Davis art that was tweeted above and fondly remembered from the gatefold LP.

gallery_286742_24_140599.jpg
Are you sure Saul Bass designed these poster? I'm not. Based upon the massive book co authored by his daughter I do not believe he designed these posters-though they are certainly in his style and usually attributed to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks