What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
darkrock17 said:
From that link, it sounds like IAMMMMW is going to be huge, it will probably be on every Christmas Must Have lists. How do they know that that glass is trully authentic though?
This would be one beautiful April Fool's Day joke ... but sadly it appears that it is not ... making it a rather tragic joke.

Not that it matters to me, but I note they say that:

"The parts can be traced to find that they are indeed from a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500." Big difference between "can" and "was" and a big difference between "a" Ford Fairlane and "the" Ford Fairlane. Buyer beware.

By the way, I'm selling authentic missing 70 mm footage from 2001: A Space Odyssey. As soon as I sell it, I will be missing it.

Jeff Job

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Job
I am going to see Mad Mad World tonight at the local cineplex as part of their "Classic Film Series". They have the running time listed as 3 hours 12 minutes, so I am interested to see what version of the film this is and if this may possibly include an intermission.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Moe Dickstein said:
Some people are just never happy
Happy? HAPPY?! Do you have the nerve to address me on the subject of HAPPY?

So some people here get on my nerves. Like, if you told me they were the stars of some horror movie, I'd believe it.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
haineshisway said:
You're funnier than the film :) I don't know how from "reading between the lines" you would make these leaps but if it makes you happy then make them. The only thing that's pertinent and it's hardly "between" the lines is that I think it's going to be a great set. Leap beyond that if you like, but why you feel it necessary to kind of make the same post over and over again - oh, wait - I've got it - you're Milton Berle! :)
I'm definitely not him if what I've heard is true. And you've been saying the same unhelpful things over and over yourself, you know.

But to the point, I'm referring to this from you previously:

"My feeling is that no one should get their hopes set too high - there is no way for any set to meet such high expectations."

And this:

"... if it's not every possible thing that people are dreaming about if you don't fantasize then the reality will be sweet. If you do fantasize and hope for the moon and you don't quite get the moon ..."

As you surely know, for most of us here, "the moon" is simply a restoration of the original version, that and nothing more. So, reading between your lines -- or even reading them as they are -- we're not getting "the moon," i.e., the restored version.

If that's the case, I don't really care what the hell they're slapping together over there. I never was a big fan of "extras," anyway.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Joe Lugoff said:
I'm definitely not him if what I've heard is true. And you've been saying the same unhelpful things over and over yourself, you know.

But to the point, I'm referring to this from you previously:

"My feeling is that no one should get their hopes set too high - there is no way for any set to meet such high expectations."

And this:

"... if it's not every possible thing that people are dreaming about if you don't fantasize then the reality will be sweet. If you do fantasize and hope for the moon and you don't quite get the moon ..."

As you surely know, for most of us here, "the moon" is simply a restoration of the original version, that and nothing more. So, reading between your lines -- or even reading them as they are -- we're not getting "the moon," i.e., the restored version.

If that's the case, I don't really care what the hell they're slapping together over there. I never was a big fan of "extras," anyway.
No, Joe, the moon is every frame of every shot filmed for the movie whether it was ever in it or not. That is the moon. I think my point, Joe, was very clear and it's even clear out of context: If people don't set their expectations and hopes high then there will be no disappointment - there could even be incredible elation. I don't think that's hard to understand, is it? If you've been reading this thread, you know what people have been wishing for and it's a lot more than a restored version of the original road show version that played for only four weeks back in the day. Maybe you should read the thread from the beginning. I know you feel you're entitled to know everything about everything before the official announcement, but you aren't. The fact that some of us have some knowledge about this makes us terrible know-it-all cretins in your view. Oh, well. We've all been saying the same thing and saying it as gently as possible - be patient and then you'll know what's what. You seem to have been born without the gene of patience but I understand they sell it now over the counter at CVS and I recommend it to you highly, even though there are some serious side effects such as happiness, calmness, and not behaving poorly on a message board. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jeff Job said:
I am going to see Mad Mad World tonight at the local cineplex as part of their "Classic Film Series". They have the running time listed as 3 hours 12 minutes, so I am interested to see what version of the film this is and if this may possibly include an intermission.
They're running the uncut roadshow with all music. Simple.

RAH

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Joe Lugoff said:
Happy? HAPPY?! Do you have the nerve to address me on the subject of HAPPY? So some people here get on my nerves. Like, if you told me they were the stars of some horror movie, I'd believe it.
Usually I hide my chainsaw better. I guess it's just too loud for the whole sneaking up on my victims bit.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Here's something to ponder:If they are doing multiple cuts and they aren't branching (or even if they are and there are LOTS of extras) This could very well be a 2 Blu set - which would put it at the $50 price point rather than $40 - list of course, they would be lower in actual sale. Then on top of that, with the Dual Format situation, this could easily be a 5 disc set.Imagine the digipak/artwork possibilites.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Alright, alright, I WILL TELL YOU WHAT THE RELEASE IS GOING TO BE!! I don't care if I never eat lunch in this town again. Nothing is worth this!!

They went back and found... oh, wait a minute... I think I hear a chainsaw outside...

I'll be right back...

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Moe Dickstein said:
Here's something to ponder:If they are doing multiple cuts and they aren't branching (or even if they are and there are LOTS of extras) This could very well be a 2 Blu set - which would put it at the $50 price point rather than $40 - list of course, they would be lower in actual sale. Then on top of that, with the Dual Format situation, this could easily be a 5 disc set.
That's more discs than "Mad"'s!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Professor Echo said:
Saul Bass or Jack Davis or both for the cover. Nothing else should even be considered an option.
It's possible (See Bass' art for Seconds recently) but usually Criterion commissions new artwork and design for releases - and it's usually pretty amazing. Check out the cover of Lubitsch's "To Be or Not to Be"

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Moe Dickstein said:
It's possible (See Bass' art for Seconds recently) but usually Criterion commissions new artwork and design for releases - and it's usually pretty amazing. Check out the cover of Lubitsch's "To Be or Not to Be"
They also used Bass for SPARTACUS and I believe they will continue to respect his genius.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Since Criterion's art director tweeted this, I'm guessing that there is a strong chance that Jack Davis art might be gracing the cover. (although, that piece would be better suited for the inside of a digipak

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Professor Echo said:
They also used Bass for SPARTACUS and I believe they will continue to respect his genius.
The SPARTACUS logo and poster was indeed designed by Saul Bass. That said I doubt that he designed any of the Mad World poster work, even the Cinerama posters. Bass did design the main titles. That said Criterion may use the original iconic posters plus the Jack Davis work.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Derrick King said:
Since Criterion's art director tweeted this, I'm guessing that there is a strong chance that Jack Davis art might be gracing the cover. (although, that piece would be better suited for the inside of a digipak
Skillman is the best. If he put that out now I'd bump the odds higher on an announcement Monday.As much as I'd be interested in seeing something new, that Jack Davis art would be pretty great too. I made a fake Criterion cover of this film maybe 12-13 years ago and that's what I did. It's hard to scale to that shape though, I made 2 versions - one the whole art piece and the other zoomed in to the moneybag and the first few behind which looked better, then you'd theoretically wrap the whole thing around.Like this: http://ericskillman.blogspot.com/search?q=amarcordHere's a cool interview with Skillman too: http://blogs.bu.edu/lightandshadow/2010/03/04/eric-skillman-interview/edit: I see he posted that on Aug 16 - the day after we thought it was going to be announced. Now I don't know what to think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks